SHIMANO CALCUTTA 300 / 400te tutorial

Discussion in 'Shimano Reels' started by steelfish, Mar 11, 2010.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    does anyone have or know where to find a tutorial rebiuld for a shimano Calcutta 400TE just for regular maintenance?

how different it could be inside from an A or B series?

2. baybassboy

baybassboy Bass Hippie

Name:
    Mo Williams
    Boat:
    17' HydraSports CC, "Motivator"; Outcast Super FatCat
    just did a rebuild on both... the TE was a bit more of a struggle... shoulda kept a picture tutorial, but i just wanted to get it done

HERE is a tutorial for the TE series... a bunch of the pictures are out of order, but it is a great step by step

3. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks Williams

it's seems that they jump from the A step to the C and F
    it would have been good having more step by step :o

it looks like it has a LOT more "jumping" springs and little things
    to care on the opening than my saltist

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well I opened my reel and seems little bit easier than I though the only problems that I still have is that drags washers dont come out!!

I was just starting the cleaning job in this part

[​IMG]

and then NADA, nothing.. I couldnt took the rooller clutch inner tube (part 2421) and the key washer out (part 2430).
    is there any trick or step to do it?

5. BuonaForTuna

BuonaForTuna Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
    Alex send Alan Tani a PM that guy does it all when it comes to reels.

6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey my friend Jesse,

LOL.. first thing that I did was sent him the PM and minutes later I posted the question here, so if someone else goes into this same problem we will have the answer here

thanks

7. BuonaForTuna

BuonaForTuna Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
  8. dan1

dan1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    I've took apart my reel and had the same issue. Might just be a little sticky from the soot dartanium leaves after awhile, maybe even some rust. Just take a small flathead screw driver and lightly pry it out. If it is too hard, try a little CLR, that will loosen up the rust. I'm guessing you are cleaning your entire reel anyways to the CLR getting into the drags doesn't matter.

9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Dan,

yes man, I doing a complete cleaning and lube job on that reel, and actually it has a little corrosion /rust in the drive shaft so it's posible to have some between the clutch innet tube and drive shaft, not sure..

I already try it a flathead screw driver and was too hard, so,
    is this CLR is better than using WD-40 agains rust?
    I dont think I have CLR on hand what other rust remover can I try?
    I hear that carb/choke cleaner is safe on reels, and I have some cans on hand, but didnt tryed yesterday because Im not sure if it can affect drags material.

now that your are talking about drags, this dartanium, I can just clean them and put some grase like Alan tani does or this material it has to be used dry...
    when I opened itl I found out that entire reel was dry as a bone no green, blue or clear grase residuals, good thing is that only the drive shaft shows signs of little corrosion, and the roller clucht bearing was really dirty (no rust signs)

[​IMG]
    this an actual pic of my reel, it shows a lot of sand (or crystlized salt?) but luckyly everything seems ok except for the little rust on the drive shaft

10. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    the gear is stuck, isn't it! to get it unstuck, hold the main gear with your left hand and band the top of the drive shaft with something plastic. you'll pop it loose! just don't loose any springs. alan

11. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks Alan, Im going to try it today.

12. alantani

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    a few more things. the anti-reverse roller bearing in your reel is shot. you're going to have to call shimano at 877-577-0600 and get a new one. if they can't ship to mexico, send me a pm or e-mail and i will ship you one. i know that shipping is a hassle for you. soak the anti-reverse roller bearing with corrosion x first. that way it will last longer. and make sure you do not crush the dog during the re-install. it's easy to overlook. please keep us posted. alan

13. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    ok, I just coming back from FHS in San Diego (second time and always a real good show, this time I knew some BD's).

good thing is that I found corrosion X, reel x, xtreme reel, cal grease and speed X so, Im ready to do a real good lube job in this reel, bad thing is that it seems that Im going to need a new BB according to your comment (you said my BB is shot just for the corrosion shown on the drive shaft?)

this may sound as a silly question (sorry kind of new), what if I put some antirust liquid (any) or maybe corrosion X to that rusted antireverse BB then lubed it in order to can use the reel in the meanwhile a brand new BB arrives? (your right, shipping is a PITA sometimes buying from here).

ok, I will be careful with the dog thanks

14. alantani

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    often these reels will cast just fine, even if the bearings are jacked up. they just sound and feel awful, that's all. alan

15. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    naa, for this high dollar reel I want it to have it working as brand new again, so I will talk to shimano asap and let you know Alan if I have some problems with the shiping

tnx for your help

16. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well cleaning & lub job was finally done, everything ended better that I though

Im not good to make a tutorial so I will just post some pics of the finished job

this is how everything was before the cleaning job, a lot of sand, dry bones and little bit of rust
    [​IMG]

only the parts that showed a little corrosion I cleaned them with some WD, CorroxionX spray presentacion let then sit for some minutes and the a good bath of fresh water

here everything was already dry and shiny, I really like how the gold color came to life again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then following Alan tutorials I applied Cal's grease to drag washers, a small coat of the same grease to the side plates and internal sides as well to all metallic parts, add some drops of corrosion X to bearings and also a drop of extreme reel.
    [​IMG]

here is the cleaned and lubed calcutta 400TE along with the abu6500c3 that now will have it's place in the back up and visitors rod.
    [​IMG]
    overall everything is pretty good, only my freespool is kind of poor, I think is because the roller bearing is shot as Alan said, but I havent have luck calling shimano customer service yet, nobody is answering and International LD calls will be ending expensier than the bearing, I will using it like this for some days maybe only needs real action!!

thanks a lot to Alan for your help and to williams for posting that tutorial

17. baybassboy

baybassboy Bass Hippie

Name:
    Mo Williams
    Boat:
    17' HydraSports CC, "Motivator"; Outcast Super FatCat
    alright Alex!!!

looks like you figured it all out and did a pretty good job servicing the reel

as for the free-spool issues. the roller bearing shouldn't be the issue. The 400TE has a line guide that follows the the line coming off the spool during the cast. because of this, there is some friction between the worm gear and the pawl. if your bearings are up to speed (pun intended), then this may be your culprit. grease applied to the worm gear will provide better protection, but you will get less free-spool. oil will increase freespool, but overall protection may suffer if you do not stay on top of it. based on the amount of wear shown in your pictures, i think a light greaseing is a good idea. you will still be able to throw baits a mile. personally, i have mine lightly greased and it work great.

i'm sure alan will chime in on this one as well... go with what he says

18. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Williams, actually I forgot to tell that I put some grease on the Bearing behind (botton) of drive shaft, and I did it exactly for what you said, I dont want to take apart the reel and take the drag washers out everysingle fishing trip to add some oil drops to that bearing ,so, I greased it very well and then put some reelX, and hopefully that will last for 6 months minimun.
    I dont want the reel for surf fishing as some guys use it, mostly it's going to be used in jigs & big plastics in vertical fishing and live bait.

tnx my friend

PD: one more question.

this reel really have 305/50# braid line capacity? or Should I go and put 40# braid and little bit more line?
    the spool seems really small for 300yrds 50#
    I'd like to have space for 30ys 30# mono topleader

19. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well just as an update of the Calcutta, I went to the park to practice casting with this reel and see whats going on with that free-spool issue, well for my sorprise it casted like a dream, I reached an average of 60-70 yds without any effort with 3 block breaks in and 3 breaks out, more than enough for tossing some irons and jigs, isnt it?

that anti-backlash system works wonders, not a single backlash trowing 2oz in the beach for 2 hrs and I not a pro in baitcasting reels (I still havent controlled completely my abu 6500c3).