Shimano 80W or 130?

Moanalani

Nov 16, 2009
hawaii
Name
Brice
Boat
22 Y-Fin
Hey Guys Im new to this site but seems like alot of good hawaii Fisherman our on here so I need your help and Advise. I currently sold my 14/0 senator reels and upgrading to Shimano two speeds Im not sure if I need all 130's or just put them on the outriggers, and 80W for the rest I have a 21 foot boat maybe go out Once a month and the biggest lure I run is a 9inch and not out for the big marlins. I know the more line the better but I really dont like the bulkyness of the 130's on the corners. Am I goin to regret not getting all 130's or will 80W do just fine. Is getting spooled a big issue? I know its personal preference but any advise will be great thanks guys.

May 16, 2006
sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
Name
mike
Boat
25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
go with 80's if your worried about line capacity put on spectra or dacron and have a 100 yard mono topshot. patfishhi one of the members on this board fishes all stand up tiagra 50 wlrs and does fine. i believe 80's are the best "all around" for a small boat. if your like grander 007 or captain don you rock 130's because your out hunting for a grander marlin or a tonner.

Moanalani

Nov 16, 2009
hawaii
Name
Brice
Boat
22 Y-Fin
Thanks for the advise can I run 130lb test or will it reduce my line capacity alot. I still kind of want to muscle the line without breaking?

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
I have 3 Tiagra 80's for sale on craigs list. Excellent shape in case you were interested. Goodluck on your deicision.

130's are really nice. I like them on the outriggers/center rigger so that you can send your lure wayyy back. Personally for the corners i like 80's (and its not because I have a few for sale). A little smaller and good for all around say if you are baiting etc.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Thanks for the advise can I run 130lb test or will it reduce my line capacity alot. I still kind of want to muscle the line without breaking?
Hey Brice,
On the 80's you can fill around 600yds of 130lb mono. The drag system on the Tiagras are superior to say the least and should stop 90% of whatever is out there! I personally use 5 Penn 80 VSWs and with the exception of one time I have not gotten spooled since and I run 5", 7", 9" and a 12" Wide range Softhead lures.

Antares

The popcorn police
Jul 3, 2009
San Diego/Maui
Name
Drew
Boat
29'
You can run 130 on the 80w just use spectra to compensate for yardage. say you use 150 lb power pro that has a diameter of 30 lb mono. you could get around 2365 yard of line and that is a shit load of line. Put 1500 yards on each and top shot with 130 and you will be sitting pretty.

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
My friends run 150 lb on their 130's. Great to have when you hook into the beeeg one but maybe its just me but it seems like they get less strikes compared to the reels that are loaded with 100-130lb max.

MANAPUA MAN

May 10, 2009
HONOLULU HAWAII
Name
CAPPY
Boat
23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
I have 3 80's for sale on craigs list. Excellent shape in case you were interested. Goodluck on your deicision.

130's are really nice. I like them on the outriggers/center rigger so that you can send your lure wayyy back. Personally for the corners i like 80's (and its not because I have a few for sale). A little smaller and good for all around say if you are baiting etc.
I'll give you 5 five 50TW's with poles for your 3 three 80's without poles.

Moanalani

Nov 16, 2009
hawaii
Name
Brice
Boat
22 Y-Fin
Thanks guys for the advise, its going to be a big purchase so I want to make sure I do it right lol.. Theres nothing better than opinions from local Hawaii fisherman.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
if I did a lot of tournaments I would run 130s w/ 150 line. But I don't. 80s w/ 130 pound line is enough -- that is what I run on big (41 ft) and small boats. (17-19 ft). 130s are facken heavy. ha ha.

Moanalani

Nov 16, 2009
hawaii
Name
Brice
Boat
22 Y-Fin
Hey Cappy this is Brice from South Seas so you turned in your bike for a boat lol.. hows the fishing doing...

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
the igfa record on an 80 is well over 1,000#...shimano 80s are great reels...unlike the 130s they maintain constant drag w/in 10% regardless of how much line is out (by design)

tight lines,

fishnsoldier

May 19, 2006
Slidell, La
Name
Noel
Boat
Looking for the next one
The 80's spooled up with 200lb spectra and like 150 yds of 200lb mono or even 150 will give you plenty of line.....The 130's are just so big......like Jager said. on Pats boat he runs 50's with like 80 or 130lb mono I think. Look at his suceess. The day we got 3 Marlin last Feb the first 2 came in with minimal issues, and the bigger one broke off. 1 killed( We ate him), 1 released, and one broke off....Not to bad IMHO One of the advantages of spectra... It last for years. Just replace the Top shot as needed....The spectra is alot smaller in Diameter so you can use lighter tackle and still put some pressure on big fish.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Brice, since you don't have a big boat, the 80's should be adequate for most of the fish that you will encounter. The advice of using braid for backing is also a good idea. Even dacron for backing is good. Using a topshot makes for less expense when you have to replace line.

Because your boat isn't that big, you can always turn around and chase the fish. What also may help you is to scale your drag with a scale, to 20% of your line strength for your trolling drag setting. It will make for a good hookset as well as not allow a ton of line to disappear off your reel, on the initial hit. Majority of guys actually run their drags too loose and what happens is more line gets taken out on the strike than is necessary.

Of course the other factor is what you can afford to purchase.

If anything, start with several, then after using them, decide if you want larger ones or if the ones that you bought are adequate, then stick with them. Going into it gradually, may be a wise decision, rather making the plunge and finding out it was not a wise decision.

You already indicated in your initial post that you thought the 130's were too heavy, so let that be your guide. No matter what others may tell you, you have to get/buy what you determine is right for your budget and boat, and if you don't have an opportunity to actually fish the equipment first, you'll never know how they will work for you.

I personally don't have any 130's cause I really don't go looking for Marlin as a target species. I like to catch what I like to eat and also have fun doing it. Having gear that suits what you're after is wonderful, and you're the one paying the bills. Tight lines.