Shiamano Talica 20 II Question

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Flukein, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Just picked up a Shimano Talica 20 II Two Speed for my upcoming long range trip. Looking for advice on correct size
    spectra / top shot to use on this reel. Specs say reel holds:
    #65/725 yds
    #80/575 yds
    #100/435 yds

What size spectra?
    How much spectra?
    What size top shot?
    How much top shot?

New to the small reel big fish thing. Comments from anyone using this reel or long range fishermen into the lighter stuff would be appreciated. Thanks Again

Gary

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Target hopefuls? Dropper Loop? Typical 7 day species, or more like a 10day+ reel?

3. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Gary

I'm afraid that John has asked the questions that perhaps you should have asked before you bought the reel. The Tac 20 is maybe a small cow reel, or a reel for the troll or dropper loop. But if you were looking for a small reel to fish for 20-100# tuna, it is IMHO too big. A small reel to fish for tuna at the Rocks or the Ridge would be a Tac 10 or 12. So what is your intended use for this reel?

4. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    I'm on a October 10 day and have already been told to focus on my
    # 40/ # 50 lb setups covered there. I'm guessing reel would be for dropper loop/ bigger fish reel if needed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Got it new in the box at a good price. Will be used at home (east coast for jigging yellowfin & longfin) guys here fish larger reels. They only let us fish spectra when jigging here on the party boats(not on the side of the boat where the others are bait fishing)
    My thoughts were to use it for a heavier line class if I need it and when I get back home it won't just sit on the bench in the basement. Getting tired of fishing 30Ws & 50Ws

6. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    So in your opinion it would be good for # 80 or 100 dropper loop or for larger fish if needed.

7. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Badass reel that can probably fish as your 80# rig. Those Talica IIs fish a lot bigger than they look. I have a 16 and it's a beast. Acquiring another Talica II soon.

Flukein likes this.
  8. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    If you were fishing dropper loop then I would spool it with 100lb. In that case you don't need as much capacity for big grouper or yellows and because for that line class, it really doesn't have enough capacity for big fish (need like 700+ yards, imo).

If you put 80 on there it would be a good compromise of capacity and strength at 600 Yards and you could use it plenty for a lot of stuff as long as the fish were less than cow size. Probably the way to go as an 80lb bait setup.

For straight bait at 65lb it would fish a bait the best. You might have trouble with your connection over time in a real long fight on a bigger fish though, but if you went into it knowing it was light tackle and for funzies then have at it. If you wanted to go pro-style you could splice a loop on it and go loop to loop for the most reliable way (imo) to fish biggish fish on light tackle.

Be sure to at least bring your 30 size on a Fall 10 day, if not the 50 too. Sometimes in a warm water year like this there can be a cow stampede in that range.

best

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Flukein likes this.
  9. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Definitely good for 80 or 100# dropper loop or troll. As John suggested, good for 80# on the sub cows. Problem is, cows and sub cows tend to swim together. As long as you know the risks, have fun and go for it. But bring along a bigger gun too.

Flukein likes this.
  10. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Will pack the big guns as well just in case. Sounds like this reel will work good at home for me as our average yellowfin go 40 to 80 lbs and the longfin 30 to 70 lbs. Lately wolf packs of big eye have been coming thru they are larger at 100 to 200 lbs so you just never know what's going to pick up that bait. Thanks again for the info.

11. qtrracer

qtrracer Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    none
    It will hold 600+ yards of JBH 100. More of Seaguar Threadlock 100. Yes it is on the edge. However it is a nice rig to have for a pick bite using a 80 flouro leader. Can handle much larger than 80lb tuna, whether you can is another story, lol

Flukein likes this.
  12. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Thanks for the info John.

13. Flukein

Flukein Newbie

Name:
    Gary Yearwood