Shelves on the RP

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by locvetter, May 15, 2018.

1. locvetter

locvetter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Building a box for upcoming Royal Polaris trip. Does anyone know the distance between shelves - expecting not to get a top shelf.
    Am planning a box that is narrower than an SKB, and with a drawer instead of an opening top. Need to know how many Plano 3700's I can design for, limited by how tall the box can be.

Thanks!

2. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Hi Loc, on the RP you have several places to put your box, including on deck.
    I had a monster one built and I just keep it on the deck when I am on the RP.

Here is a video I did , where you can kind of get the Idea

3. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Andre,
    Thanks for posting this. I am doing my first ever RP trip in April. 16 day

4. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    error - can't figure out how to delete.

One_Leg likes this.
  5. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting

Very helpful. Actually, I had viewed that before somewhere. Shame on me for noting the one caption: "Head in Rear."

That SKB box that is just starboard of the "Crew Only" hatch forward of the bait tank is right where I had my SKB last time I was on board. There is really scant room for boxes on the racks -- total of about 6 on the ones behind the benches and, as I recall about that many starboard of the cabin door.

Beautiful blue rod rack. When I was out on the RP before those racks on the angle going upstairs were full then as well. Having some of that space would be sweet, but almost certainly that space will be gone.

Thanks so much

Olddog8 likes this.
  6. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Cool Soda Pop, I hope that Roy is your Captain that Trip, He is the man. I think he usually Capt's on the trip before that one (Nakaki trip) . Either way , you will have a good time. boat has an interesting large layout and is super fishy. Lot of hanging out area.

locvetter and Soda Pop like this.
  7. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Hi Loc , I Agree about the tackle storage thing. The RP has such a large stern area that I always thought that seating area in the stern behind the bait tank should be removed and replaced with a larger rocker launcher tackle system.
    However many of the RP's customers like that seating area. I have to admit when I was on the longer 18 day trip and the boat was less crowded, that area is pretty cool and a good place to chill out.. (though sometimes people sitting there are in the way of reaching your tackle box, if on that station)

the large stern area combined with a unique layout makes for some pretty interesting custom tackle configurations. Those two areas on either side of the cabin by the stairs and on the other side are pretty highly coveted and usually the charter masters have some special made rod rock that they can snap in there.

Every boat is fairly unique in a certain way which makes it cool and sometimes confusing at the same time.

Olddog8 and locvetter like this.
  8. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    I did a 15 day trip last April on the R.P. which was my first trip on that boat. The R.P. office called all the passengers about 3 days before the trip and told us we could board the day before and put our personal stuff in our state rooms and fishing gear in the stern area, not on the racks. The morning of departure we were to put tackle boxes on the racks in boarding order. Well, I arrived about 4:00am on departure day and walked down the dock to take a look, every tackle box spot was taken, plus boxes all over the deck. So, if they give you the "unload your gear the day before option" take it, even though you will not be able to spend the night on the boat and there will be no crew member aboard to watch things. If you have a boarding number higher eight plan on leaving your box on the deck or the upper deck. If seas are rough a high center of gravity box like the SKB will tip over.

locvetter likes this.
  9. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Loc,

I've attached a picture that will give you a better idea of the rack space, width and capacity. Somebody mentioned that SKB boxes will tip over....very true and bungie cords are necessary (especially if it's on the upper deck). I've ridden this boat quite few times and space has never been an issue. Usually the Crew will start rearranging the tackle stations to get more boxes off the floor and into the racks after the bait is loaded up and they're heading south. If possible, put your stuff upstairs....I prefer to keep my gear and boxes up there, as there's plenty of room to spread out and work on tackle. Hope this helps.

Cheers-
    Doug

P7300152.JPG DSC02257.JPG

locvetter likes this.
  10. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    On the RP the rod holder rack behind the seats are a real pain in the ass. Just my 2 cents.

locvetter and bbuck like this.