Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
late post but thought it may help some.

The Port Authority had Shelter Island Launch Ramp closed at 1pm yesterday due to THE LOT BEING FULL.. New social distancing for parked trucks w/trailers has them utilizing fewer of the parking spaces by keeping them apart.

So when they determine no more parking spaces, they shut down the entrance to the lots & the ramp. The only open entrance is to the east of the ramp getting near the Bali High restaurant. Good signs to direct you to this entrance

On my way out saw boats being toward towards the entrance. Not sure if they got to line up and do the "one boat leaves, then another goes in" like they are doing .

Swung by Mission Bay and checked out the Dana launch ramp. Not good signs here. They have the entrance totally closed off. They now use the exit as both entrance and exit. SD Police controlling the flow. It was open for launching but they told me a similar story of if the lot full, no launch.

NOTE: All Police working both places were friendly and informative when asked questions.

Dana Landing police said that they leave in the afternoon evening and return in the morning. They leave the entrance open during the other hours without supervision.

Forgot to ask Shelter Island Police if they are 24/7 at the entrance. Maybe someone will reply if they launched early At or Sunday and found ramp without them.

Heard South Shores is being run the same also from the Dana Landing police. Did not stop there though.

Upvote 0

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Its only the beginning Just think if the Bite was on ? ...keep the tempers down ...or like Encinitas they will shut it down .....

Upvote 0

Marlinman10

Jun 25, 2008
Spring Valley, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
18' Glasspar, White Cap
People moved the cones they had in every other parking spots which lead to the lot filling up at Shelter Island. I totally agree it's a pain in the ass and don't agree with it but if people keep doing it and the police get tired of it we could lose use of it. I hope not.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I tried to launch at 1pm on Sat at Shelter Island. Guy was friendly saying he did not make the rules , only enforced them. He said the parking lot was "full" by 9 am. I pointed out that the parking lot was only half full and there was plenty of room for me to park. He said there had to be 6 ft between the vehicles, basically and empty slot. I wanted to know when the virus started to spread to vehicles and he was not happy. They were pretty mad that the trucks were moving the cones when they parked their vehicles early that morning. I imagine things will be a little different come this Sat morning. We drove up to Dana at Mission bay and it was no problem, even though there was a community service officer there.

These are unelected bureaucrats sitting at some desk making these BS rules. If enough people write letters to the Port of San Diego then maybe things will change. They will push us as long as we let them push us.

Upvote 0

The Canvas Man

Ken'z Custom Canvas
Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
KEN
Boat
25 Hydra sport
Don't they understand that when we park a truck and trailer its not all at one time. I don't see them keeping any sort of distance at the stores. Hell they have the beach parking closed but we are all aloud to park bumper to bumper on all the crowded side streets.
Thank God my new boat has a slip.
Good luck out there .

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
we are being ruled not represented...why are cars parked next to each other at stores like walmart?

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
we are being ruled not represented...why are cars parked next to each other at stores like walmart?

Because people arent talking about their groceries in the parking lot to others. People in the launch ramp talk about the fish they caught and conversations emerge. Think outside the box on why this is happening.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Because people arent talking about their groceries in the parking lot to others. People in the launch ramp talk about the fish they caught and conversations emerge. Think outside the box on why this is happening.
When was the last time you gave a parking lot report to a guy from within 6 feet of him? I've never, not even once.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
dont tell me...let me guess...you voted for nanci pelosis nephew for gov....I bet you voted for the increased gas tax too...like a good lil sheeple

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    SERIOUSLY?I stood in line with a hundred people at costco the other day because i had to get cases of paper for my wifes firm,cars parked right next to each other,people jammed up in the store everywhere,long lines to checkout but its ok to block trucks and trailers from parking within 6 ft of each other cause they might talk?
    Fuck newscum and all the rest,they need to get their asses to walmart or costco because thats where the virus will come from if anywhere.

Upvote 0

Sand Patroller

Almost A Member
    Jun 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    West
    Boat
    2020 World Cat “Knot Reel”
    Wow. When the bite takes off this is going to be a shit show. Wonder how much it costs us to have all these people monitoring the parking lots? I guess they think our vehicles could catch the virus. If the do not open up the economy soon there are going to be a lot of boats for sale. I got a email from the storage location I keep my boat at and they said 60% of people have not paid their monthly rent.

Upvote 0

Rjunky

professionally unprofessional
    Sep 12, 2015
    Santa Clarita CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    26 osprey lc
    Nobody monitoring yesterday. Came in around 5am left around 5pm. Just had every other spot coned off and all the entrances and exits barricaded except for one

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    SERIOUSLY?I stood in line with a hundred people at costco the other day because i had to get cases of paper for my wifes firm,cars parked right next to each other,people jammed up in the store everywhere,long lines to checkout but its ok to block trucks and trailers from parking within 6 ft of each other cause they might talk?
    Fuck newscum and all the rest,they need to get their asses to walmart or costco because thats where the virus will come from if anywhere.
    Truth ! I can stand in a crowded store waiting to pay but i can't stand ALONE on the shoreline of the bay and fish.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0