lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    I'm still waiting on backordered rigging for my 2021 Suzuki 200's so I at least got to fish with a buddy on his 24ft CC. Plan was originally to hit the rockpile but we ventured out SW to the 302 looking for paddies in the hopes of finding some Yellows and Dorado.
    IMG_20210817_093032764~2.jpg

IMG_20210817_161538201.jpg

No paddies found as we motored around to the 226 then decided to run through the Canyon. Next stop was the Islands looking for Yellows. Set up a drift over the many squid beds and bottom fished. I fished a sinker rig/reverse dropper loop and picked off 5 Sheephead all good size with one standout(8lb). They seemed to bite on the edge of the squid bed using the sardine. My buddy fished a traditional dropper loop and the Sculpin liked that presentation while the Sheephead preferred mine. No Yellows, no Mex Navy/Coasta Guerra but beautiful conditions. Malahini and San Diego were in the area. Nice clean 70* water and the conditions were great. How do you like to cook these guys? Tight lines!
    IMG_20210817_155301439.jpg

IMG_20210817_170522957.jpg

Last edited:

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    I'm still waiting on backordered rigging for my 2021 Suzuki 200's so I at least got to fish with a buddy on his 24ft CC. Plan was originally to hit the rockpile but we ventured out SW to the 302 looking for paddies in the hopes of finding some Yellows and Dorado.
    View attachment 1310240
    View attachment 1310241
    No paddies found as we motored around to the 226 then decided to run through the Canyon. Next stop was the Islands looking for Yellows. Set up a drift over the many squid beds and bottom fished. I fished a sinker rig/reverse dropper loop and picked off 5 Sheephead all good size with one standout(8lb). They seemed to bite on the edge of the squid bed using the sardine. My buddy fished a traditional dropper loop and the Sculpin liked that presentation while the Sheephead preferred mine. No Yellows, no Mex Navy/Coasta Guerra but beautiful conditions. Malahini and San Diego were in the area. Nice clean 70* water and the conditions were great. How do you like to cook these guys? Tight lines!
    View attachment 1310242
    View attachment 1310243
    Didn't see the pics earlier. That's a nice 🐐!

Upvote 0

Mike De vito

Aug 18, 2021
    Point Loma
    Name
    Michael De Vito
    Boat
    Nitro
    Nice I thought when you posted Sheepshead Bay you were speaking of my old fishing grounds back in Brooklyn. I prefer to split the fish and oil up some foil, lay the fish skin side down than on the flesh side I put butter, salt pepper garlic (smashed) lemon slices and wrap the package up and place on the grill low heat for about 15 minutes slow steaming in the foil. Once you open it the steam will just make you mouth water.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice I thought when you posted Sheepshead Bat you were speaking of my old fishing grounds back in Brooklyn. I prefer to split the fish and oil up some foil, lay the fish skin side down than on the flesh side I put butter, salt pepper garlic (smashed) lemon slices and wrap the package up and place on the grill low heat for about 15 minutes slow steaming in the foil. Once you open it the steam will just make you mouth water.
    Yea, being an East Coaster myself(NJ) I thought that might attract some attention. Thx for the recipe.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    I like them bbqed with lemon/butter or Italian dressing or in ceviche. Of course you can batter and fry for tacos...

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Boil in sugar and water. Baste in butter and Broil in the oven. Dip in drawn butter and eat.

There are plenty of recipes online….search for “Poor man’s lobster recipe”

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    Ceviche, fish cakes are common.

You'll notice those two things, and the other preps mentioned in the other comments have one thing in common: they all try to disguise the taste and texture of the fish. Because it's bad.

• Haha
    Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0