She was angry today out of Mission Bay 5/8

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by DaGoose, May 8, 2009.

1. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Headed out this morning with my good friend RT on his sturdy stead Boomzing, an 18ft glasspar converted to a center console like I have. We’ve shared many great adventures on the water throughout the years, and today would be no different.

Launched in Mission Bay at 7:00. Turned the corner to head south to the Coronado’s and wasn’t too bad for a bit. But the wind was blowing from the south. We thought it would turn around and lay down. Boy were we wrong.

Outside a bit it picked up with a 4ft short bump from the south with a good blow on it. The groundswell was from the west, and it seemed she was coming at us from all directions. Made 8 knots and got down there at 9:30. Einstein here forgot his slickers in my boat. I was wet all day as the sun never broke out.

Long story short, we pounded heaps of sand all over the place. The current was ripping downhill and it was not optimal Bounceballing conditions. RT scratched up 1 red vermillion and a 11lb class flattie at 3:00. I flew a full stripe with nada. That’s how I got my nick name “Goose”many years ago fishing cod with RT and Woody, it stands for goose egg.

Called it a day at 4:30. The ride home was downhill for a change and not too bad but steep in the trough at times. Made it back by 6:00. It may have laid down a little bit.

I’m not sure if we’re getting any smarter these days, but we didn’t sink, gave it hell, and had a great time together out there today. Sometimes we would just stop the boat and watch all the dynamics in play in awe of mother ocean.

I wouldn’t recommend it tomorrow unless it lays down more, you’re experienced, and have a glasspar. LOL

Gonna drop now.

Tight Lines,

Rick

2. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    Sounds like a rough one Rick. At least you guys got the target species. Nice job.

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Thanks for the"good night" report Rick.

4. cmlandscaping

cmlandscaping Captin

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18' maxum
    Not to long now, thanks for the report.

5. Bigfish69

Bigfish69 Dirty Fisherman

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    Wellcraft V-20, 200 hp etec, 85' Holiday sportfisher
    Gotta hand it to you two,,,very brave souls. Its been like a washing machine outthere after 10 for the last three weeks or so. Was brutal heading straight north on wed. trying to get back up to where the fish ended up biting. Glad you all made it home ok.

69R

6. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    Thx for the report Rick. I was thinking of going out today Saturday
    and head the same direction (the Islands). Probably will wait and check again for Sunday trip instead..

7. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Fished LJ yesterday also in my small skiff, man what a beat-down from the weather.The fishing sucked (slow trolled macks at the north end for nada), it felt good to get back in.

8. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    You know Rick I woke up today in Mission Bay and it was pretty breezy. I was thinking of ehat the weather would be like out there.....glad you got out

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Glad you guys made it back safe, and one butt for the barbie! Good job.

10. shitbird

shitbird Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21, Penyan, Wahine
    Somedays you have it and someday you do not. That sucks that you forgot your slickers. :imdumb: Lets see, cold beer, cold water and no fish:urno1: Thats one to remember

11. Saltist

Saltist Saltist

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    n/a
    Rick,

Glad to see you at least enjoyed the day. Thats always key, and catching fish is definitely a plus. Cant wait to get out there and pound the sand. Looking for that first legal hali this year, and I think your system is going to get me and the wife that elusive hali.

Phil