Sdchronix

Kook Style
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
Decided to give offshore one last chance, in hopes of finding some of those illusive Bluefin. Grabbed 2 scoots of bait, nice sized, lively, but a lot of it rolled. Way more than usual.

Pointed for 302. Stopped on a few empty Patty's. Not much life. Next was the 371. Same deal. So point for the upper hidden. On our route we saw a boat on a patty with a bird pile. Tried hailing them in the radio to ask if we could slide in. No luck. I proceeded slowly. They saw us and reset on it, I let them finish and then slid in respectfully. They weren't so happy about it. We hook a small yt and they take off making a bunch of unfriendly hand gestures. Oh well, proceeded to catch a few more there then back on our way.

Saw some huge boils in the distance with another bird pile. Couldn't get there in time, confident this was the blues we were looking for. Stopped on a few more Paddy's. Down here they seemed to all have fish in them. Lots of bait and yellows. Found one good one that kept biting and every reset they got bigger.
Got a couple around 10lbs rest were the smaller models but most were not super small. Played catch and release for a bit after hitting limits.

Went to start the boat to head back and keep an eye out for bft, boat cranks, starts and dies. Wtf?! Does this 3 times then won't even fire off. Just cranks. Great, first I call my buddy boat "pelican Sportfishing" because I know he was just barely in range of my radio so I wanted some backup. Switch to 16 and hail CG. Pull the cowling off and mess with some stuff. Still no luck. About 15 mins in I gave it another shot and it fires off. Yes! Hailed Pelican again to let him know we're good and he had already pulled his lines and and was in route to the coordinates I gave him. That's what it's all about. And why buddy boating is so important when going offshore ... Not quite over yet.

Found another paddy between 371/302 and decided to play catch and release with the jigs. The same boat from earlier steamrolls up at 15+ knots slides in right under us (as I'm waving them in nicely), stares for a bit. Tosses a line. Pulled it back in and takes off full speed. And I thought I was a damn kook.
IMG_20201127_192838_135.jpg

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Shame on you for waiting.... and then sliding in slowly. These "kooks" were on that 5lb bite. You know the kind.... you could put on a sabiki rig and get them 3 at a time...lol. At least they got you back.... those rat bastards. All to put on the "big show".

Glad you got fish. Glad you got back. At least you were "civil" brother! Nice post and pictures.

Reactions: Sdchronix
    Upvote 0

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Dan Salazar
    Boat
    Rum Runner
    Ive been thinking if it would be possible to have a standard for courtesy via arm signals when approaching a Patty with boat on it
    Hailing doesn't always work because you are not 100 percent sure on what channel the other boat might be monitoring if their monitoring at all
    Any suggestions

How about one arm with 1 thumb up and horn Hong to request access to the Patty

Yes (OK) one or two arms/thumbs up
    No Arm(s) outstretched sideways thumb(s) down

Upvote 0
    Sep 13, 2018
    East County
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Skipjack
    There shouldn't have to be any request to join the patty party to begin with as long as you slide in properly after all, all they did was to luckily stumble upon it first. Have no problem with people coming in on a patty I find or giving out numbers when people are asking for a little help. It kills me when you hear those people talking to there buddies in code being all secretive like there some secret agent fish catcher. On another note where has Mr Wan been lately haven't heard him on the mic lately, miss his humor.

Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
    Jul 26, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Anthony C.
    Boat
    There shouldn't have to be any request to join the patty party to begin with as long as you slide in properly after all, all they did was to luckily stumble upon it first. Have no problem with people coming in on a patty I find or giving out numbers when people are asking for a little help. It kills me when you hear those people talking to there buddies in code being all secretive like there some secret agent fish catcher. On another note where has Mr Wan been lately haven't heard him on the mic lately, miss his humor.
    I agree fully.

Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
    Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Whew, glad you got that engine running. Any idea what this issue is? I have twins and on a few occasions we limped home on one engine. Nice job going to where the fish are. How far south did you go? How were the conditions? Heading out tomorrow. Thx!

Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
    Jul 26, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Anthony C.
    Boat
    Whew, glad you got that engine running. Any idea what this issue is? I have twins and on a few occasions we limped home on one engine. Nice job going to where the fish are. How far south did you go? How were the conditions? Heading out tomorrow. Thx!
    Not quite sure what the deal was.... About 7 miles short of the upper hidden. It was decent out on Friday. Water was about 64.5-65

Upvote 0