Sharks from the beach?

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by GTO John, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GTO John

GTO John Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Lowe & Frenzy
    Hey I'm new to this site, but not new to fishing. I fish for sharks from the beaches here in Texas and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of that in Hawaii? I go to Hawaii once a year and this year I was thinking of bringing my shark rods and trying out some land based shark fishing?

Thanks,
    John

2. KONAGOLD TOO

KONAGOLD TOO Newbie

Name:
    RODNEY
    Boat:
    In the works...
    there a bunch of sharks out at the lulu's niteclub........

3. Waiohinu Lawaia

Waiohinu Lawaia dabuggashakeshakehenohemo

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Theres plenty of sharks, tigers, white tips, black tips, gray reefs, hammerheads, etc. but with so much other fish that get large, are much better/harder fighting and many are also good eating, nobody wastes any time that I have EVER heard of targeting sharks. The one exception to this being baby hammerheads in Hilo bay, but even there I am not sure they were targeted as much as they were common bycatch.

I have hooked and landed many, including tigers that were probably well over 1,000 lbs., but like I said, we have never intentionally targeted them, but if you wanted to, just take your 9/0, cast out a whole aku with a 11/0 circle hook, maybe a small jug float and hang on...

When you say Hawai`i, do you mean the island or the state? Theres plenty of places to fish for sharks should you decide to, but not to sure of any other than on Hawai`i island.

4. Addicted2fishin

Addicted2fishin where's da fish

Name:
    RJ
    Boat:
    19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
    Like Jason said its normally a bycatch. When we cast for Ulua, at least one of the strikes or fish that comes up is a shark. Some small ones and some monster tigers that'll strip your extended 4/0 and newell 646 in less than 10 seconds.

5. GTO John

GTO John Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Lowe & Frenzy
    I would be fishing from the Kona coast. I just figured it would be quite the experience to bring in a big tiger from the beach.

John

6. Waiohinu Lawaia

Waiohinu Lawaia dabuggashakeshakehenohemo

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Sold it
    The other thing to remember is that most of the better places to do this are rocky areas, cliffs, etc. Most of the Sandy or rocky 'beaches' would not imo be the place to try sharking from shore.

What time of year you going to the Big Island?

7. captjim

captjim Konakeenan

Name:
    Jim Keenan
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack !! Shazam !!
    Whatever you do, do not fish from the rocks by yourself. Always one or two anglers disappear each year while doing so.

8. GTO John

GTO John Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Lowe & Frenzy
    I would be going in June or July.

9. pascuale

pascuale Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Fish for Ulua in June or July, When I fished for Ulua off the beach, I caught tons of whitetip sharks in the process over a year period of time. Maybe buy a cheap two piece ulua rod and use your 9/0 or 6/0 with 80lb. Ask the tackle store guys to rig you up with the right setup.

10. The Mongo!

The Mongo! Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback Kayak
    I wouldnt fish any sharks in Hawaii, They are thought of as gods to them, I have heard lots of fucked up shit happen to fishermen that have caught and killed sharks, many of the locals with drive 50-60 miles off shore to dump them if they accidently do hook up on one so that they arent seen by any of the locals. You may want to ask around and listen to the stories yourself. but i wouldnt go for it without talking to some of the locals frist.

11. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    What Mongo said about sharks in HI. You don't want any local boys seeing your haolie ass pulling on a shark. You might not have to worry about slipping off the rocks. . . .

12. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    I have heard of night time charter trips for Tigers on the Kona coast. I was thinking about taking one next time I am there. It was when I checked, only offshore and catch and release only. I seen people fishing off the lava rocks, but they was only keeping some kind of food fish.

13. GTO John

GTO John Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Lowe & Frenzy
    If I did fish for them, I have no plans of keeping or killing one. To me catching sharks from the beach levels the playing field a little.

14. Max Estep

Max Estep AOD

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Floater
    Us anything bloody.

15. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
  16. Little Tiburon

Little Tiburon Registered User

Name:
    Andy Hayes
    Boat:
    20' Baja Bayrunner + Malibu Extreme Kayak
  17. pascuale

pascuale Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah dont kill em, turn em over on their back and let them chill out before taking the hook out with some big ass pliers. My hawaiin freind killed one and we got washed out by a set wave that night on a rock plateau 15 feet above the waterline while sleeping next to our rods that night. It was for real! Then I fell face first into a huge tidal pool while taking our gear away from the area, got all cut up. we didnt target them but always caught them while fishing for Ulua. Realeased every one and decided the try to eat one, and that happened. Learned our lesson. Sharks are sacred aumakua.

18. GTO John

GTO John Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Lowe & Frenzy
    When you fish for Ulua, do you have your bait on the bottom or on a float. I would thing that with all the lava getting your line cut off would seem pretty common.

19. Addicted2fishin

Addicted2fishin where's da fish

Name:
    RJ
    Boat:
    19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
    We cast our lead and line out with a stopper swivel above the lead. Then we slide our bait down. It travels through the upper water column and if nothing bites it reaches the stopper near the bottom.... and under ideal circumstances the stopper allows the bait to suspend just above the bottom. We do have a lot of "bankrupts"... which is when nothing comes back because the hook stuck on the bottom and the entire expensive rig is lost. But thats ulua fishing.
    We do have guys that send out floats but it is super hard to keep the float in the prime fishing area due to wind and currents. Then there is the trashbag method..... if you get caught doing it by the dlnr.... nice fine or scolding.
    You should come down and talk story with the local ulua fishing crowd. If not pm me and i'll send you to a site where we hang out and share stories and stuff.