Sharks and Long Range Fishing

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by egarratt, May 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    There have always been sharks That is a given. But at spots frequented by the San Diego Long Range fleet, what have been the adaptations of sharks that anglers have noticed over the past 10, 20, or even 50 years?

Were Great White sharks stealing BFT from anglers back in the day at Guadalupe? What about Alijos Rocks, the R Islands, Hurricane Bank? Did it use to be an occasional occurrence where a shark stole a quick meal, compared to today where we get some days that the captain throws in the towel and moves on to greener pastures? Just wondering if these fish in a small number of generations have adapted so well, or we just noticing it more with more trips and better social media, etc.

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Where there is current, there is bait. Where there is bait, there is tuna. Where there is tuna, there is sharks. Some where we fit in there along with seals and birds.

dh515, Whalebreath and RichG like this.
  3. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    And now the Dolphin/porpoise...

4. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    The great whites were absent from sometime in the 70's until 1999 at Guadalupe. Now it appears they get a better cut than the federal government :D

5. BlueFinGrin

BlueFinGrin Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...

Name:
    Grinner
    Boat:
    A Big One - That Floats
    Sharks, Dolpfin...and even Pilot Whales (at the Atoll) are all part of the biomass. Some years they are worse than most, but the majority of times they are simply no factor.

As frustrating as it is, I just keep reminding myself that it's my vacation... and not just a fishing trip.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    pele and RichG like this.
  6. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Sharks are part of the sport. Awesome ancient creatures. For us it is recreation. For them, survival...

- Jeff Burroughs

7. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Sharks have existed unchanged for perhaps several hundred million years. To even imagine that they may have "adapted" (this would require changes in allele frequencies) across only a very few generations is unrealistic. The brown sharks (Galapagos shark) that are so abundant around the islands and Hurricane Bank are always there, but particularly abundant in late winter/early spring when females are getting ready to pup. On one trip in May I examined several hundred of these sharks and all (repeat: ALL) were females. And more casual observation showed that these females had near-term pups. At other times I've seen males, but they are always a minority in those areas. I can remember times when sharks were really bad at Alijos, and years when we never saw any at all. Their presence and abundance can be pretty variable in both time and space and few of us live/fish long enough to get a really good idea of what affects them.

Anglewood, egarratt, RichG and 2 others like this.
  8. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    What little brain they have are hooked up to some extraordinary senses. Smell for long distance but up close, sight for zero in, then the ability to sense electrical impulses of it's prey.

9. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Figures they are female.... hahaha.

Good point about getting ready to pup. And chased the males away and don't want to have anything to do with them. Sound familiar.

10. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Actually, there are several known instances of "learned behavior" with sharks. In recent years, bull sharks in Africa have come to associate private fishing boats with food. Tiger sharks show up every year at a Gooney Bird rookery to feed on the young birds trying to fledge, too.

It is not beyond reason to suppose that the Galapagos sharks at Clarion may have, through trial and error, learned a new strategy.

For that matter, look at the Great Whites at Isla Guadalupe, who now set up shop underneath a sport boat, and simply wait for a hooked tuna, tired and easy prey, to be brought to the boat. If you have paid the taxman at 'Lupe, you know exactly what I mean. The big sharks almost never go chasing after hooked fish away from the boat. They just wait for dinner to come to them.

egarratt likes this.
  11. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    On last year's San Diego Anglers 10 day, I saw a quantity of sharks that gave me the willies. We had non-stop shark action at Alijos Rocks and moved to Alijos bank. Mike Lackey was chatty in the wheelhouse and I stayed the whole run. I saw an ocean thick with sharks the whole way. Creepy. Note to self, no swimming there, ever.

12. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Someone needs to hook a couple of those big Lupe White Sharks with those monster hooks they catch them with and slow troll them over to the Coronados for a clean release.
    That'll thin out those pesky sea dogs.

Pangamaster likes this.
  13. Reverendpdp

Reverendpdp Member

Name:
    D Penton
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Being that it's "Shark Week" on the tube, I caught a program that showed how sharks are absolutely terrified of the scent of another dead shark. Maybe some boats need to have some dead sharks on hand to spook the pesky ones?

14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    We used shark chunks to catch tuna on my last 15 day. Did help... Very smelly stuff, got urea in the blood. Definitely repulsive stuff if you get a whiff. The Galapagos sharks are not known to be man eaters, but when a pack gets on a fish they resemble piranhas in a feeding frenzy

Tim Turis and Reverendpdp like this.
  15. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    According to the International Shark Attack Files, Galapagos Sharks have been held accountable for at least one fatal attack. In any case, they are very aggressive sharks. I wouldn't mess with them any more than I would a Bull Shark.

From what I have seen of the flesh, it looks very good to eat, much like a Mako or a Blacktip. But I haven't tried it.

$norkle likes this.
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Neat info Jim...
    https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/isaf/contributing-factors/species-implicated-attacks/

17. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Not "terrified" at all, but they do avoid it. Several years ago we hung a partially butchered Galapagos shark of the back of the boat and it was effective in keeping the sharks away for maybe a 50-75 foot radius. Only problem was that your sardine would have to swim further than that-----the outcome was usually that a shark would get it.

18. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    at the hurricane recently in june ,it seemed like the sharks learned how to pick the baits like the porpose at clarion.
    the sharks on the otherhand were a good indicter of fish/you just had to fish through them/ the right bait and the tuna would streak in to take the bait out of the middle of the sharks

19. rickberg

rickberg Member

Name:
    rickberg
    Boat:
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    Sharktec has developed working shark repellent for divers. It's like a bug bomb. You pop it open and sharks leave. They are also working on a gel for long liners to keep sharks off their hooks. I have been trying to get some of this but they are not done developing it or don't want to make a small sale. So more of us need to show an interest in the product by telling them about longrange and sharks at sharktech.com