I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Why do people keep comparing apples to oranges? 1,000 Lb Bluefin Tuna Vs. 1,000 Lb Mako. Female Bluefin can reproduce @ 4-5 years old and produces millions of eggs, and these "breeders" are "shorts" which are highly regulated, and cannot be caught commercially. By the time a giant bluefin reaches it's "monster size" it has probably already spawned hundreds of millions of eggs and offspring. A Female Mako cannot reproduce until it is 18 years (9ft) old and produces 4-18 pups, only every 3 years. More pups depending on size and habitat. So in essence, a very large 1,000 lb female Mako like the one in question, was probably producing the most amount of pups.

A 1,000 lb Bluefin is not a breeder as much as a "Short" 4 year old is. A 1,000 lb Female Mako is more of a breeder than a 400 lb Mako.

The giant bluefin are at least being put to good use, both sustaining fishermen, processors, buyers, sellers, restaurants. All this Mako did was sustain a guy from out of state's ego.

Sorry, but again, you just helped me prove another point. Let me ask you a question......How old do you think this shark is, to get this big???? Would you agree with me that it's probably at the peak of it's life? Hard to disagree with that. So, if you are assuming a 3 year reproductive cycle, and this fish is in the twilight of it's life, you're probably only losing one, MAYBE a second litter. However, you take away that 100 pound female who hasn't even reached reproductive maturity, you are eliminating every litter that shark would have hade. So, in theory, with the facts you just threw out there, it's perfectly logical that this is the IDEAL fish to take out of the ecosystem. Again, if you're only concerned with sea lions (Being greedy cause they steal your fish :rolleyes:), then maybe that's a point.

Oh, and "sustaining" all those jobs???? Pure crap. It has nothing to do with the "industry", but more to do with exotic tastes.

I think you are mistaken when you say that a "good chunk" of the PEI bluefin are kept (by rec anglers):

Back to Bluefin | Sport Fishing

My understanding is that a rec angler is fishing under the commercial boat's quota. I also understand that most commercial boats fish for their quota and may reserve a slot or two for anglers who want to "keep" one for a photo with the boat's fish. It would seem from reading many accounts that those boats release and cull fish looking to fill that remaining fish with one in excess 1,000 lbs to maximize their financial reward. I am not certain, but I believe that when they are strictly fishing commercial, they don't have the option to release and cull through fish to take the bigger ones. So it would seem that that the rec angler release loophole creates a symbiotic relationship with the commercials: 1) boat costs are covered by the charter, and 2) presence of rec angler allows them to release and cull through fish to keep the bigger ones and maximize profit from their sale. I haven't fished there myself, so maybe the boy running this site can confirm this.

Sorry, my post got mashed together. I wasn't saying PEI bluefin, I was saying "East Coast Giant Bluefin" in general. I mentioned the PEI just as an example of threads where people get praised. Up and down the east coast, those fish are taken and sold..........

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Let's keep killing big makos and see if we can get the population up to 400,000

Population: The U.S. population of California sea lions is currently estimated at up to 300,000 animals, all on the Pacific coast. From an estimated population of about 10,000 animals in the 1950s, U.S. California sea lion numbers have grown rapidly since the 1970s and the species is now at “carrying capacity”—near the highest level the environment can sustain—according to wildlife biologists. A population survey conducted in 2006 by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) documented 1,200 California sea lions and 1,000 Steller sea lions near the mouth of the Columbia River alone.

Upvote 0

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I was referring to Matt...
I should have mentioned it was a perfectly casted dead sardine... that would have cleared the confusion!

and to answer someone else's question. I hunt. I am not a trophy hunter but I have a deer on my wall that I mounted because of its size and where it came from. as well as how old it was.
In the hunting world most of us do not disagree with another hunter practices for one simple reason. If we cant get along and we bitch about the way others do things as opposed to working together then the Animal rights activists have that much better of a chance at singling something out to ban. e.g. hunting with dogs...
Its best to try to support everyone that is practicing a legal means of hunting weather it be for recreation, sustenance, or commercial. in the it all falls under the first pice of paper. The License.
and there is the other one the constitution.
Now go kick your dog and tell your wife to pull your testicles out of her purse because you sound like a whiney little [email protected]#$%^tch

haha jeff you have some great posts about blood and nuts

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
In thinking through this issue of taking multiple trophy makos per season and in light of how they handle the NE and PEI Bluefin tuna fisheries, I think there's merit to imposing a single trophy mako tag per boat, per season. I don't know the minimum size, but they should charge for the trophy tag much as they do with an elk or bighorn tag, like $2,000 per. That way there's some control over the take and the DFW benefits from the funding.

The whole donating to science thing is BS and simply serves to avoid the DFW regs which require sport caught game fish not be wasted. The scientists have seen enough of these makos dead. They're more interested in what they do and where they do it alive.

Upvote 0

BigfishDM

Aug 3, 2011
TunaTown
Name
Josh
Boat
Jawsh's
He has a great point!

Sorry, but again, you just helped me prove another point. Let me ask you a question......How old do you think this shark is, to get this big???? Would you agree with me that it's probably at the peak of it's life? Hard to disagree with that. So, if you are assuming a 3 year reproductive cycle, and this fish is in the twilight of it's life, you're probably only losing one, MAYBE a second litter. However, you take away that 100 pound female who hasn't even reached reproductive maturity, you are eliminating every litter that shark would have hade. So, in theory, with the facts you just threw out there, it's perfectly logical that this is the IDEAL fish to take out of the ecosystem. Again, if you're only concerned with sea lions (Being greedy cause they steal your fish ), then maybe that's a point.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
He has a great point!

Sorry, but again, you just helped me prove another point. Let me ask you a question......How old do you think this shark is, to get this big???? Would you agree with me that it's probably at the peak of it's life? Hard to disagree with that. So, if you are assuming a 3 year reproductive cycle, and this fish is in the twilight of it's life, you're probably only losing one, MAYBE a second litter. However, you take away that 100 pound female who hasn't even reached reproductive maturity, you are eliminating every litter that shark would have hade. So, in theory, with the facts you just threw out there, it's perfectly logical that this is the IDEAL fish to take out of the ecosystem. Again, if you're only concerned with sea lions (Being greedy cause they steal your fish ), then maybe that's a point.

You don't know how old this one is and whether it was diminished in reproductivity. These are wild animals and they eat and reporduce until they die. They don't enjoy Obamacare that keeps them alive long after they're done reproducing. They don't sit on the porch in retirment collecting social security and reminiscing about all the male makos they bit while fucking.

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Why kill a seal eater
tape it . take a picture and let her go.
What a awesome creature
That size is not even good to eat .bet most of it goes to trash except the jaws. is the record really worth the loss?

Thank you for an educated response. Those idiots from Texas (is that an oxymoron?) are out again today trying to catch ANOTHER one. There could not be a single marine biologist in the world that would support the killing of that magnificent animal.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Let's keep killing big makos and see if we can get the population up to 400,000

Population: The U.S. population of California sea lions is currently estimated at up to 300,000 animals, all on the Pacific coast. From an estimated population of about 10,000 animals in the 1950s, U.S. California sea lion numbers have grown rapidly since the 1970s and the species is now at “carrying capacity”—near the highest level the environment can sustain—according to wildlife biologists. A population survey conducted in 2006 by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) documented 1,200 California sea lions and 1,000 Steller sea lions near the mouth of the Columbia River alone.

Let's keep rescuing, rehabilitating an imprinting sea lions onto humans as their primary provider or source of food. Afterall, we encourage that with mountain lions and bears, don't we? (Sic)

I think we need to reintroduce the Grizzly Bear, which was once the greatest predator of sea lions. We can start with putting a few at the La Jolla sea lion pool.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
You don't know how old this one is and whether it was diminished in reproductivity. These are wild animals and they eat and reporduce until they die. They don't enjoy Obamacare that keeps them alive long after they're done reproducing. They don't sit on the porch in retirment collecting social security and reminiscing about all the male makos they bit while fucking.

You can't be SURE, but you can make an educated guess. This is the biggest Mako that has ever been hauled aboard a boat, that we know of. Therefore, you have to assume it is very old. Mako's don't have a neverending lifespan, and die at roughly 20-25 years. Therefore, and educated guess, based on size, is that this fish is a 20+ year old fish, minumum. Therefore, if they live one average, 20-25 years, this fish was close tot he end of it's life, and with a 3 year reproductive cycle, likely almost out of litters.

Again, you can't be sure, but it's an educated guess based on what we know about the species. Compare it to hunting. A 200" mule deer isn't a yearling, or a 400 inch elk. Those are critters that are in their peak/twilight. Same with a huge fish of any kind.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Thank you for an educated response. Those idiots from Texas (is that an oxymoron?) are out again today trying to catch ANOTHER one. There could not be a single marine biologist in the world that would support the killing of that magnificent animal.

Good point Pete, yet we have plenty of folks here supporting it. If it's legal kill as many as you can

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I have not read one response, and I'm sure some have said why kill it?

If this was caught and killed for research as stated in one article I read then that's flat out BS.

You want to research it then tag it, and track it's habbits, don't FN kill it.

. . . sure would like to tag some fisherman and track their habbits, not for research.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
You can't be SURE, but you can make an educated guess. This is the biggest Mako that has ever been hauled aboard a boat, that we know of. Therefore, you have to assume it is very old. Mako's don't have a neverending lifespan, and die at roughly 20-25 years. Therefore, and educated guess, based on size, is that this fish is a 20+ year old fish, minumum. Therefore, if they live one average, 20-25 years, this fish was close tot he end of it's life, and with a 3 year reproductive cycle, likely almost out of litters.

Again, you can't be sure, but it's an educated guess based on what we know about the species. Compare it to hunting. A 200" mule deer isn't a yearling, or a 400 inch elk. Those are critters that are in their peak/twilight. Same with a huge fish of any kind.

OK, if you want to work off an educated guess, I'll bet you big money that 20 to 30 pups and a sea lion or two spilled out of that shark when, or if it was cut open. I'll also bet that we'll never know (those results).

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
The only thing that I disagree with is, that they (according to all the news and hype) took a 900 pounder, then took this one, and now are going after a third. That is just an abuse of the resource. Thats where I have a real issue.

Upvote 0

ONEKID

Dec 6, 2005
Fountain Valley
Name
Peter
Boat
Boatless again.
No shit man!! Absolutely no difference between killing a 1300lb mako and a 25lb yellowtail.......What an absolute travesty they were not able to get a boat limit of 1000+lb makos, fuck it, its legal!:imdumb:
another dipshit comment. how many 1300 pound makos are killed? how many yellowtail were killed so far this season. it pretty much is the same thing.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The only thing that I disagree with is, that they (according to all the news and hype) took a 900 pounder, then took this one, and now are going after a third. That is just an abuse of the resource. Thats where I have a real issue.

I totally agree with this as well! I don't personally have a problem with the catch...... not saying it would have been my choice to boat that particular fish, as I probably wouldn't have. I do know that I have a goal I would like to accomplish on my small boat with one other person (maybe two)..... and if I decide to go through with it and get it done, there wont be another very large mako for me in my lifetime...... all very large makos hooked and beaten on my boat from that day on will be released.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
Them:'Mr. Researcher,we'd like your expert opinion on this shark.
Mr. Researcher:'looks like a dead mako'

research over

Upvote 0

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
I would like to hear from the hunt crowd on this. How would you feel if this guy was out guiding people and killing trophy bucks or elk every year and the meat was simply donated?
Older bucks don't eat well. They're made into jerky or sausage and their head is on the wall. Someone else mentioned not being able to kill females like with big game. Well, that's only in the western states. Most of the other states (to my knowledge) allow either sex and as a result, they have a MUCH better population than California's dwindling population. The problem with big game, is when they get to a certain age, they quit reproducing, but they continue consuming a limited resource (water, food, shelter). In the case of the mako, if their diet is strictly sea lions, then I suppose their resources are unlimited. However, I have not seen a video of a mako feeding on a healthy sea lion. I saw the videos of the wounded sea lion getting picked on by the mako, but was it a healthy sea lion to begin with or was it simply a convenient, easy meal for the shark? Who knows, maybe the sea lion was hit by a prop and was floating there spewing blood, I don't know... It just seems like every time this comes up somebody say's "I thought Mako's were fish eaters?" Great Whites, on the other hand, we know they're seal eaters and we have seen the videos. One thing I don't get is people are saying taking a yellow tail is better than taking a large shark, but I recall last year everyone complaining that people were keeping "rat yellows." Consistency appears to be lacking from the logic. Just my take on it. And for the record: I will keep a shark if I am going to eat it and I would keep a world record. Killing a 900# shark and then a 1300# shark, and trying for another one the next day? No thanks...

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
What bothers me most is that this fish was killed for no reason. This fish will not be eaten. It will go to waste......I mean science.

I have been lucky enough to see a couple truly large makos in my life, and it was something I will never forget. I don't see how anyone could feel good about killing a fish like this just to hang it up and promote a TV Show. Granted, these guys sure got a great deal of attention out of this, which I guess is exactly what they wanted.

I would love it if I never have to hear another person raise the "it was legal" argument again. That's just like saying "I was just following orders." Think for yourself.

Upvote 0

mikeyairtime

Fish Magnet
Apr 14, 2007
Lomita, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Julia J" & "Berzerker"
When did the US turn into Europe. I'm listening to a bunch of whining sniveling Frenchmen. Just surrender the fight. I think the Sea Shepherds are holding the boat for you. Your beloved experts told us if we killed one of these big fish they'd all be gone by now yet more and bigger ones keep showing up. California was a second rate mako fishery where people came to get records catching rat makos on tipet. Twenty years later a guy from Texas came all the way here to catch an all tackle record. I suspect Mako Matt is savy enough to know what they had so they stuck it. See your experts haven't spent much time on the water. They get out on the water for two weeks a year and decide there's a problem. California is as enviro-wacky as they come and guess what? It's legal to harvest these fish. Hell, you can get a commercial license and catch and sell as many as you want. Why? Because our mako fishery is not in crisis. Want a cause, figure out where the bumble bees have gone(not Carpenter Bees jackass). Why friggen Bumble Bees? Because any watermen who's really spent some time on the water knows Bumble Bees mean the pelagics are here. Bet your science experts don't know that. They're just starting to figure out the bees are gone.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]"In the long run, a pseudo-scientific environmental regime administered by a growing and powerful government bureaucracy will cost all Americans dearly--both financially and as free and independent citizens of a once great Republic. Sadly, in the future it will be possible that children will ask a question similar to one that contemporary man asks about the American Indian. Only the question will be, "Momma--where have all the cowboys gone?"[/FONT]

Upvote 0

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
When did the US turn into Europe. I'm listening to a bunch of whining sniveling Frenchmen. Just surrender the fight. I think the Sea Shepherds are holding the boat for you. Your beloved experts told us if we killed one of these big fish they'd all be gone by now yet more and bigger ones keep showing up. California was a second rate mako fishery where people came to get records catching rat makos on tipet. Twenty years later a guy from Texas came all the way here to catch an all tackle record. I suspect Mako Matt is savy enough to know what they had so they stuck it. See your experts haven't spent much time on the water. They get out on the water for two weeks a year and decide there's a problem. California is as enviro-wacky as they come and guess what? It's legal to harvest these fish. Hell, you can get a commercial license and catch and sell as many as you want. Why? Because our mako fishery is not in crisis. Want a cause, figure out where the bumble bees have gone(not Carpenter Bees jackass). Why friggen Bumble Bees? Because any watermen who's really spent some time on the water knows Bumble Bees mean the pelagics are here. Bet your science experts don't know that. They're just starting to figure out the bees are gone.

"In the long run, a pseudo-scientific environmental regime administered by a growing and powerful government bureaucracy will cost all Americans dearly--both financially and as free and independent citizens of a once great Republic. Sadly, in the future it will be possible that children will ask a question similar to one that contemporary man asks about the American Indian. Only the question will be, "Momma--where have all the cowboys gone?"

wow never knew the bumble bees = pelegics thing cool

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
"I would love it if I never have to hear another person raise the "it was legal" argument again. That's just like saying "I was just following orders." Think for yourself."

You said a mouthfull.Legal does not mean ethical-every atrocity ever commited was almost always legal.And laws change by debating their ethics/morallity.I would have more respect for killing it if the guy just flat out said,'cuz I wanted to',than hiding behind the vail that it was legal and/or research.His motivation was/is because he wanted to for whatever reason that's in his psyche-not to prove case law or add to the science of the species.

Upvote 0

Dust Devil

Apr 14, 2005
Ridgecrest
Name
Russ
Boat
Any that will have me
another dipshit comment. how many 1300 pound makos are killed? how many yellowtail were killed so far this season. it pretty much is the same thing.

Pretty much not the same thing.

Dipshit??

How bout you go fuck yourself in the ass dry.........and when your done with that you can take your dipshit comment and shove it right up there too. You fucking fuckwad.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Ok tards, since we are down to name calling disguised as conversation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.