Shark fishin question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by etlax17, May 18, 2006.

1. etlax17

etlax17 Newbie

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    Brothers Boat
    I was wondering I am planning on going shark fishing out of dana and I was wondering if i was better off chumming or trolling and if trolling any ideas what to use?

2. TheCalicocat

TheCalicocat Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    N/A
    Troll for T's Bait-O-Matic Black and Purple!!!
    Chum for Mako's
    Just my 2 Cents

:nutkick:

3. Bad Dawg

Bad Dawg Newbie

Name:
    hey you
    Boat:
    What's Next ?
    You are better off trolling. My article on this appeared in The Log's April 28th edition of Fish Rap for lots of info.
    thelog.com to Fish Rap to archives to On Deck article.
    for a short report........First you did not specify which shark. T's or mako's. For either one I prefer trolling as you cover more ground and you go to them as opposed to waiting for them to come to you. either shark will eat Rapala's, Mirrolures, Marauders, and Bait-O-Matics with a mackerel hooked inside. However, for Thresher Sharks you have the option of hooking them in the tail or the mouth. The tail is easier as you just wait for them to whack a Rapala and you're on. If you figure out how to hook one in the mouth you will lessen the fight time in half and have more success as the hook won't pull out after fighting him for a few hours. Threshers are vacuum cleaners in that if they whack a bait and don't get hooked they swing around to look for what they killed so don't reel up your bait. So troll with very light drags and light jigs if you are trolling baits. They will also eat chunk. If you're looking for a rush simply troll bridled mackerel off of your outriggers and watch the show. You don't need live baits, so go to your Vietnamese fish market and buy a dozen mackerel or whatever they have that will troll straight. good luck......Steve on the Bad Dog

4. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    If the boat is moving, troll.
    Otherwise, chum.

5. kepdawg

kepdawg Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    reel carnage
    Nice catch report, made me look...

6. tylerderdan

tylerderdan Stay classy San diego

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    215cc triumph "Unforgiven"
    If you are fishing the T-sharks, you'll be better trolling. I know everyone has lure preferences, and there are some real good ones. The Bait-O's work well, and seem very popular, Ballyhood lures have always worked great for me. Whatever you do, good luck and get some nice pics!!

7. SkyKing

SkyKing Newbie

Name:
    Capt. Chaos/Freediver/Spearfish, Semper Fi
    Boat:
    56 Sportfisher
    Troll definitely, chum is tough to wait out the exotics (mako Mr. T) without going nutz with the 'blues' chewing up all your shit.