Shark Attack at San Onofre Yesterday....

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
Scary stuff. I had one buzz me on my surfboard 2 weeks ago off Ventura. It wasn't aggressive but made me wonder how long he'd been checking me out before showing his fin.

Not sure if it's just being publicized more now with social media or what, but their presence at the beaches seems to be growing.

Reactions: Mkyyy
Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
My son surfed in a club surf contest last Saturday at SanO. It was blown out, drizzly and the water was murky. Looked sharky to me. But my boy wanted to surf, so we let him.

IMG_0600.PNG

Reactions: ripped
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
There have been a few incidents recently however Humans are incredibly slow and clumsy in the water.. the juvenile whites have always been there and like most wild animals try to feed while expending as little energy as possible and if they were targeting people it would be like picking apples from a tree .. it's apparent with the 100s of 1000s of people in the water everyday that targeting is not what's happening ..

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
There have been a few incidents recently however Humans are incredibly slow and clumsy in the water.. the juvenile whites have always been there and like most wild animals try to feed while expending as little energy as possible and if they were targeting people it would be like picking apples from a tree .. it's apparent with the 100s of 1000s of people in the water everyday that targeting is not what's happening ..

I'd have to agree to a certain extent. I've come face to face with a baby GW at Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach about two years ago. She just lazily cruised by and hung a U-turn. I had my knife ready but all was well.

Last year at SanO, my son & I saw what appeared to be a 11-12 foot GW cruising parallel to shore about 20 feet outside the surf line, right past us. She looked totally uninterested. My boy & I paddled in and surfed the inside for awhile before calling it a day.

It's a total bummer to hear about the recent bite. Praying for the lady and her family.

Upvote 0

Geronimo21

Sep 23, 2016
Flagstaff, AZ
Name
Cam
Boat
Panga
Scary stuff. I had one buzz me on my surfboard 2 weeks ago off Ventura. It wasn't aggressive but made me wonder how long he'd been checking me out before showing his fin.

Not sure if it's just being publicized more now with social media or what, but their presence at the beaches seems to be growing.
Whereabouts in Ventura?

Sent from my SM-T350 using BDOutdoors mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Latest posts