ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Like I said I never read the rules or the regulations. I’m notified on Dan Hernandez YouTube channel because I enjoy the content. Just passing by what was said for the new fishing season on Rock Fish

Good. Just don't believe everything you hear. Use your own judgement and do your own research. If it sounds like BS, it most likely is.

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
I'm surprised no one has invented some kind of release device on the top of the ganion your fishing with. You catch a Illegal, set it aside, re-bait your ganion on put the Illegal back on your baited ganion (top or bottom of it, depending on what works better) with the designated hook/release mechanism and send it back down with your baited ganion. This way there is no fishing time lost and if their is 30 people on a boat that all utilized this system (If practical) you wouldn't see any fish float away and wouldn't require using deckhands solely to descend the fish. Hopefully someone will come up with such a device when fishing ganions.

you can rig this up, we have done it before. Tie a barbless hook upside down in line above your rig. Barely Lip hook then them and drop down. Bad fish come right off new fish eats your bait with 1 drop

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Can you successfully descend a 15-20 lb cow cod in deep water? I have one but it unclips at 150 ft. Wondering how this all will work on a larger cow cod.
    My son caught a 25lb Cow last week fishing out of Santa Barbara in 480' and the deckhands sent it down with a 5lb weight, Was it successful, I know it made it back down to the bottom (because it took quite a few attempts to get it released once it was on the bottom) Did it survive after it's eyes balls were the size of a tennis ball and his Intestines (stomach or whatever you want to call it) were the size of a 3-4" round pvc pipe sticking out appx 10". My guess is that it did not survive!

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    My son caught a 25lb Cow last week fishing out of Santa Barbara in 480' and the deckhands sent it down with a 5lb weight, Was it successful, I know it made it back down to the bottom (because it took quite a few attempts to get it released once it was on the bottom) Did it survive after it's eyes balls were the size of a tennis ball and his Intestines (stomach or whatever you want to call it) were the size of a 3-4" round pvc pipe sticking out appx 10". My guess is that it did not survive!

That doesn't sound right. Legally you can fish only up to 40 fathoms (240 feet) in the island since its within the cowcod conservation area. Technically its actually just the 30 fathom line (180 feet) since there is no defined 40 fathom line for Santa Barbara in the federal 50 CFR part 660 subpart C. I know a few places are deeper than 180 feet inside the area defined by the 30 fathom lines, but its nowhere near 480 feet.

Either way, there is a chance it can survive. When the fish is brought back into deeper waters and the pressure is high, it reverses the effect of the barotrauma. The intestines may shrink back in like with sheephead. It may still die, but it still has a much better chance than if it was left floating.

I know a lot of people have been catching cowcods while fishing for rockfish in Catalina now that they allowed fishing deeper waters. We have to make a 3 pound descender just to bring them back down to the depths. My buddies caught 10 of them and descended them back down on the last trip.

Upvote 0

BigfishDM

Aug 3, 2011
    TunaTown
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Jawsh's
    You people complaining about some dead rock cod really have some issues. You should take a ride on a commercial fishing boat. Why didn't the angler bring his own sinker rig if it makes him feel so sad. Stop blaming other people, who gives a shit, its a fish. The Enterprise is a great boat with great crew from the times I have been on there.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That doesn't sound right. Legally you can fish only up to 40 fathoms (240 feet) in the island since its within the cowcod conservation area. Technically its actually just the 30 fathom line (180 feet) since there is no defined 40 fathom line for Santa Barbara in the federal 50 CFR part 660 subpart C. I know a few places are deeper than 180 feet inside the area defined by the 30 fathom lines, but its nowhere near 480 feet.

Either way, there is a chance it can survive. When the fish is brought back into deeper waters and the pressure is high, it reverses the effect of the barotrauma. The intestines may shrink back in like with sheephead. It may still die, but it still has a much better chance than if it was left floating.

I know a lot of people have been catching cowcods while fishing for rockfish in Catalina now that they allowed fishing deeper waters. We have to make a 3 pound descender just to bring them back down to the depths. My buddies caught 10 of them and descended them back down on the last trip. We weren't fishing the Islands, It was blowing 20 plus. We fished the domes, 12 miles off the beach. We even made some drops in the begging at 580'. I know when they fish the gap, they fish around 150', I agree about the almost zero chance of survival when floating away.

Upvote 0

winningman

• Oct 14, 2009
    torrance, Ca.
    Name
    MYOUNG
    Boat
    none.
    Fortune has it, and done it many times

Last 1.5 days the deckhand did about 5 times

long way up for 5 pound heavy sinker..

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Well hell seagulls got eat to... although it looks bad nothing is ever wasted...
    Saw a few floaters thrown over in the early MPLA Zones days,and new bag limits enforcement. Thus the need for decent rigs. Use bigger hooks and bait!!
    Nothing like seeing a seal getting a painful bite of one. LOL

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    Read a F&G report years ago when they were testing the effectiveness of descenders. They sent down fish that had bladders out of their mouth and eyeballs popped out down to 100 feet. There was divers waiting at 100 feet that put the fish in holding cages to watch them for 3 days to see if they recovered. They said after their research it was about a 90 percent survival rate IF you sent them down WITHIN one minute after taking them out of the water. I've used a descender on my boat for 10 years now and can tell you they work great.

Upvote 0

El Tigre

May 19, 2007
    Vista CA
    Name
    RJ
    Boat
    Shamrock 31' 'El Tigre'
    Shame on the Enterprise...get a dedicated setup to release rockfish you cannot keep with a zero bag limit. Letting a big fish with a zero bag limit float off with the birds is unacceptable. You are running a business and teaching 50-60 people on the boat to be unreasonable. There is a reason why we have had depth restrictions for the last 20 years. Think about it.

Fished South East Bank up to 600 ft and some shallow reefs on the way out for a legal lingcod (shallow) and a mixed bag of rockfish. I was a little surprised that the 600ft new Max depth did not improve the size of the catch considering that areas had not been fished in so long...maybe the tides or just an off day. Most were in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 lb range and it looked like the same for the charter boats too except the one large fish that the Enterprise just threw overboard to float away. Seemed like deans or stripped fin bait worked better than the squid today. 600ft is a long drop for 2 hooks and small rockfish. Off to look for more stones in shallower water and other spots where 600ft might make more of a difference.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Interesting thread on descenders. Over the years fishing ocean outside SF I have never seen one used or talked about. It was pretty much a given the 0-bag limit fish would die when released and that does not make any practical sense. Cool if it works and becomes the norm for angling on pressured species.

Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

Almost A Member
  • Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Everyone should use one. I use Seaqualizer. It works great. Used it to release this one.

Attachments

• IMG-20210620-WA0000.jpg
      IMG-20210620-WA0000.jpg
      618.5 KB · Views: 6
    Upvote 0