Inshore Shame on the Enterprise and LB report 3/20

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
Vista Ca
Name
Justin
Boat
None
I think every boat should have a descending devise. That everyone can use, Hell I do not mind dropping my own fish back down if I am not keeping or legal to do so. Let the Passengers drop their own fish back down. It sucks I know but I rather it suck so I can fish for them the next year then for it to be closed for who knows how long. Let the crew do their duties and let the people fishing learn how to conserve and respectfully fish.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I'm surprised no one has invented some kind of release device on the top of the ganion your fishing with. You catch a Illegal, set it aside, re-bait your ganion on put the Illegal back on your baited ganion (top or bottom of it, depending on what works better) with the designated hook/release mechanism and send it back down with your baited ganion. This way there is no fishing time lost and if their is 30 people on a boat that all utilized this system (If practical) you wouldn't see any fish float away and wouldn't require using deckhands solely to descend the fish. Hopefully someone will come up with such a device when fishing ganions.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I'm surprised no one has invented some kind of release device on the top of the ganion your fishing with. You catch a Illegal, set it aside, re-bait your ganion on put the Illegal back on your baited ganion (top or bottom of it, depending on what works better) with the designated hook/release mechanism and send it back down with your baited ganion. This way there is no fishing time lost and if their is 30 people on a boat that all utilized this system (If practical) you wouldn't see any fish float away and wouldn't require using deckhands solely to descend the fish. Hopefully someone will come up with such a device when fishing ganions.
    Thats a damn good idea Ima experiment with this concept next run.

Last edited:
    Reactions: C-4 Fishing

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Thats a damn good idea Ima experiment with this concept next run.
    You may want to see if you can find some of the old fashion "Lift pole tuna hooks" They are stout, no barb and there bent outward so once theirs slack in the line (once you hit the bottom), The fish should pop right off, Give it a whirl.

Sep 14, 2014
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Skipjack 22
    What boats are using a descending device? I've never seen that before.
    I keep one on hand ready to go whenever rockfishing. Its now a law in Alaska and (I believe) Washington. Will probably be law here too pretty soon. It's what's known as " taking care of the resource", something we all should be down with.

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    Up north (WA/OR) we are required to have them.

It is not much work to send the fish back down and being too busy is not a good excuse.
    Was just going to say this same thing.
    We have been using one that we made for several years aboard the Highliner in Redondo. 3 pounds of lead to get any cow cod by catch
    If Im not mistaken the Oregon DFG gives them out for free if you request one.
    The milk crate idea is a good one for the multiple small fish
    the problem i see with the system suggested using something that you attach to your line is that it wouldn't work unless you are using a lot more additional weight than you normally need. it could work for the crotch crickets and then the boat should have a dedicated device with enough weight to counter a cow.

I really enjoy cod fishing, I have been so stoked to have the depth restrictions relaxed. Our recreational fishing has been continuously getting more restricted over the years on pretty weak scientific data. Lets not give anyone a reason to start taking it away again...
    Respect and protect the resource

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
    Can you successfully descend a 15-20 lb cow cod in deep water? I have one but it unclips at 150 ft. Wondering how this all will work on a larger cow cod.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Can you successfully descend a 15-20 lb cow cod in deep water? I have one but it unclips at 150 ft. Wondering how this all will work on a larger cow cod.

I think descending cow cod even at 150 feet is better than nothing if you think about it. Im not a biologist, but can’t a cow cod get back down from 150 feet back to its home at 400-500 feet?

Reactions: angelinasdad

angelinasdad

Captain
    May 23, 2006
    HB
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    That is a really good question...I assume they will but they can’t survive if you don’t try. Give it a try and watch to see if they float back up. It won’t take long and the birds will give it away if it floats.

If you have a really big fish like a black seabass, I have tied them to my anchor with really light line and a tiny hook on the outside of the mouth to barely catch skin and a weak knot. When they revive they break the line or pull off the hook and all good.

I would rather take the time than watch a large fish float off to die with birds pecking at it.

Reactions: NoFeelings and DMcD

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    That is a really good question...I assume they will but they can’t survive if you don’t try. Give it a try and watch to see if they float back up. It won’t take long and the birds will give it away if it floats.

If you have a really big fish like a black seabass, I have tied them to my anchor with really light line and a tiny hook on the outside of the mouth to barely catch skin and a weak knot. When they revive they break the line or pull off the hook and all good.

I would rather take the time than watch a large fish float off to die with birds pecking at it.

If it’s a black Seabass which I usually find at Clemente or Catalina on occasion. I’ll just take it inshore and release em. Normally the yellowtail grounds has some. And the drop offs 150 feet to 15-20 feet of water is common. Haven’t had any Seabass floaters dropping em off inshore. Not sure if that messes up there barrings or what not. But that’s what me and my friends do on their boats.

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
    Vista Ca
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    None
    Shouldn't be too hard to rig a descending devise on your rig the one that releases with the pressure of the water at certain depth. rig it at the bottom or higher up which ever bam fish off bait still on and reel it back with some bigger ones.

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Shouldn't be too hard to rig a descending devise on your rig the one that releases with the pressure of the water at certain depth. rig it at the bottom or higher up which ever bam fish off bait still on and reel it back with some bigger ones.
    I'm gonna try a couple different scenarios next time I go. This year, Since March 1st I've caught and already had to release 5 cows. It takes to much precious fishing time when the fish are on the chew to drop 1 back down and then drop your ganion. Hopefully It will work and I can kill 2 birds with one rock, By sending down the ganion I'm fishing with and release the fish all in a single drop?? Well See. I'm sure it's going to be trial and error, before it's effective.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    for the cow cod, pick up a few $2 cinder blacks. Stow them on your boat, and if you bring up a cow, tie some light line to the block, use a barbless hook, and sink it and the cod back to the bottom.

Reactions: angelinasdad

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    To The OP; there mustve been a reason for no decender, I've done 4 trips with them since the opener and everytime they;'ve had one set up. Perhaps they broke it off unintentionally?

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Glad I found this thread again. Dan Hernandez is saying ALL boats must have a device on board in case of cow cod per fish and game. I haven’t googled the regs. But it does make sense. Glad his YouTube channel brought it to my attention. Thanks Dan for giving us anglers the heads up!!!

0:42 if you want to skim through.

John56434

Idk what to name dis
    Aug 1, 2019
    West side
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishing boat
    Fishing 200 feet some fish go back down but mostly float away and need decending devices. I heard its said by Dan Hernandez that fish and game check your boats for defending devices as he did one time.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Fishing 200 feet some fish go back down but mostly float away and need decending devices. I heard its said by Dan Hernandez that fish and game check your boats for defending devices as he did one time.

then he followed it up saying that you’ll get a ticket without one if you’re rockfishing. I’m to lazy to read the regs. Just bought one off Amazon for 50 bucks. When I go on my friends boats this spring I’ll just bring it. Not a big deal

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Glad I found this thread again. Dan Hernandez is saying ALL boats must have a device on board in case of cow cod per fish and game. I haven’t googled the regs. But it does make sense. Glad his YouTube channel brought it to my attention. Thanks Dan for giving us anglers the heads up!!!

0:42 if you want to skim through.

I call BS on this.

I read through the 2021 regulation and the only mention about "descending" devices is if asked by the CRFS (people doing surveys on the docks), the descending device usage may be asked. There is no mention that its mandatory to have a descending device on the boat. Even the section 27.50 regarding cowcod conservation areas do not mention the requirement for a descending device.

You can't be cited for a rule that is not written in the rule book. However, its highly suggested to have a descending device on the boat to minimize the barotrauma on rockfish. We attach an upside down hook on each setup so that we can descend the fish without having to pull up the line. We bait the hooks and descend the fish at the same time.

Just because someone says it on the Internet doesn't make it real. Anything Dan Hernandez says, I take it with a grain of salt. No offense, but I take the final regulation document from the DFG web site over what he says anytime when it comes to rules and regulation changes. He may have a preliminary copy of the document before it was released, but this is the final copy of the regulations straight from the DFG web site.

Note, if they require a "descending device", they have to define what the device is. You can't just make a statement like that on a regulation book without defining it. The problem is there are many different versions and someone may argue a hook attached upside constitutes as a descending device. Others have mentioned milk crates with weights on corner and even a cinder block (god forbid if we have to carry cinder blocks on a boat) by someone else. These are all legal requirements. Since the term "descending device" is not in the list of definitions, it has no legal meaning and is not enforceable.

1617328523152.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ducksnpucks

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    I call BS on this.

I read through the 2021 regulation and the only mention about "descending" devices is if asked by the CRFS (people doing surveys on the docks), the descending device usage may be asked. There is no mention that its mandatory to have a descending device on the boat. Even the section 27.50 regarding cowcod conservation areas do not mention the requirement for a descending device.

You can't be cited for a rule that is not written in the rule book. However, its highly suggested to have a descending device on the boat to minimize the barotrauma on rockfish. We attach an upside down hook on each setup so that we can descend the fish without having to pull up the line. We bait the hooks and descend the fish at the same time.

Just because someone says it on the Internet doesn't make it real. Anything Dan Hernandez says, I take it with a grain of salt. No offense, but I take the final regulation document from the DFG web site over what he says anytime when it comes to rules and regulation changes. He may have a preliminary copy of the document before it was released, but this is the final copy of the regulations straight from the DFG web site.

Note, if they require a "descending device", they have to define what the device is. You can't just make a statement like that on a regulation book without defining it. The problem is there are many different versions and someone may argue a hook attached upside constitutes as a descending device. Others have mentioned milk crates with weights on corner and even a cinder block (god forbid if we have to carry cinder blocks on a boat) by someone else. These are all legal requirements. Since the term "descending device" is not in the list of definitions, it has no legal meaning and is not enforceable.

View attachment 1268689

Like I said I never read the rules or the regulations. I’m notified on Dan Hernandez YouTube channel because I enjoy the content. Just passing by what was said for the new fishing season on Rock Fish