angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
Shame on the Enterprise...get a dedicated setup to release rockfish you cannot keep with a zero bag limit. Letting a big fish with a zero bag limit float off with the birds is unacceptable. You are running a business and teaching 50-60 people on the boat to be unreasonable. There is a reason why we have had depth restrictions for the last 20 years. Think about it.

Fished South East Bank up to 600 ft and some shallow reefs on the way out for a legal lingcod (shallow) and a mixed bag of rockfish. I was a little surprised that the 600ft new Max depth did not improve the size of the catch considering that areas had not been fished in so long...maybe the tides or just an off day. Most were in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 lb range and it looked like the same for the charter boats too except the one large fish that the Enterprise just threw overboard to float away. Seemed like deans or stripped fin bait worked better than the squid today. 600ft is a long drop for 2 hooks and small rockfish. Off to look for more stones in shallower water and other spots where 600ft might make more of a difference.

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    What boats are using a descending device? I've never seen that before.
    To the OP’s point having a device on board and attempting to return them to the depths would be a good example of Best Practices on any boat rock fishing or jigging deep for BFT at structure. I have seen excellent examples of rock fish float away as well. I have read some boats do it but have never personally seen it deployed.

Last edited:

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    it's like the mask/no mask issue. some will do it, while others don't believe in it...

depends on what school you come from...

dockrat88

no fish pulling against me shall prosper
  • Jul 16, 2008
    culver city
    Name
    tony
    Boat
    whatever floats
    Let’s not paint the narrative that all sport boats aren’t practicing descending release tactics. It’s hard to say exactly what happened if you weren’t the person who hooked the fish or the person who possibly released it.

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    We have a dedicated rod at all times with this.
    SAC actually have given them to us at no cost on a few occasions.
    No excuse not to use one.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    The first time I ever went on a sporty as a little kid I knew the trail of floaters was wrong.

When I fun fish I use use a large enough bait on the bottom that it weeds out the little ones that I aint gonna keep for the most part. Yes, the occasional little one gets the hook.

From my experience working on boats the descending device works well on the 4 and 6 packs due to you can keep up with the much smaller angler to crew ratio.

On a sporty with 20 or so tanglers to crewmember there is no practical way to keep up. (something is better than nothing but nobody is going to pay for an extra 3 crewman to release the little ones)

The problem I've always felt is with the little hooks, little strip bait, reel slowly so you don't spin them off advice given to passengers on sportys. A 3"er counts the same in the box score as a 3#er.

The solution I've been proposing for 25 plus years is simple.
    Mandatory KEEP regulations on groundfish in over whatever depth survival rate is shown to go down. (I say that secure in the knowledge that I will be the guy who "limits out" on 3" rockfish on a 7X heavy targeting YT)

If those tiny ones count against your bag, you are going to use a bigger bait and target bigger fish that have reproduced as opposed to a trail of floaters...

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    It would be a good idea if every sportboat had one or 2 on board...an old 4/0 with a landing's rent rod would be fine with an inexpensive Shelton's descender or a big barbless octopus hook. The only reason I see them not adopting this practice is the time it would take away from deckhand duties because cuz there will always be those on board to expect the deckhand to descend their unwanted small fish...the same type that want them to tie their knots, untangle their birdnests and take the hook out of the fish for them. Pinheads would be the perfect answer for this duty.

Reactions: Tunahead and SMYLEE

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I've seen them used on the sport boats at the channel islands for cowcod and the like.
    Sucks to watch a fat cow or BSB just float away.
    If the skipper is parking the boat over spots with consistently tiny fish he should find a different spot with a better grade, maybe that's just not possible down there. Might be he doesn't want to spend time prospecting too. Whatever, it sure is a bad look.

TJ33

The tug is the drug
    Jul 23, 2020
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Grady White 226
    NorCal party boats all have descenders rigged on board to send Yelloweye back down. Smaller 3” rosies do not get the same treatment.

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    This happened about 15+ years ago up North at Shelter Cove. There was a party boat fishing for rockfish that kept catching these huge Yelloweye rockfish throwing them back to float away. I was fishing in my boat behind them and it look like a line of floating pumpkins they were huge around 8 to 12 pounds each. Fish and Game got wind of this put 2 undercover Wardens on the boat to fish with them saw what was happening and took his party boat license plus his personal fishing license away. That wasn't the worst of it they estimated how many he killed and closed the rock fishing season a month early screwing ALL us fishers because the F&G said the bi-catch of Yelloweye went over the poundage they allowed that year. So what party or private boats do can effect all you down South as well. As an aside I knew the captain very well.

angelinasdad

Captain
    May 23, 2006
    HB
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    That is more than a few boats that have shown that it is doable on the sport boats. Those that do not take the effort
    are lazy. If they have a dedicated setup it is just a few minutes to do the responsible thing. Get with the program Enterprise.

Reactions: kbray001

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None
    Shame on the Enterprise...get a dedicated setup to release rockfish you cannot keep with a zero bag limit. Letting a big fish with a zero bag limit float off with the birds is unacceptable. You are running a business and teaching 50-60 people on the boat to be unreasonable. There is a reason why we have had depth restrictions for the last 20 years. Think about it.

Fished South East Bank up to 600 ft and some shallow reefs on the way out for a legal lingcod (shallow) and a mixed bag of rockfish. I was a little surprised that the 600ft new Max depth did not improve the size of the catch considering that areas had not been fished in so long...maybe the tides or just an off day. Most were in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 lb range and it looked like the same for the charter boats too except the one large fish that the Enterprise just threw overboard to float away. Seemed like deans or stripped fin bait worked better than the squid today. 600ft is a long drop for 2 hooks and small rockfish. Off to look for more stones in shallower water and other spots where 600ft might make more of a difference.
    IMHO descending devices should be mandatory equipment on every boat, sport and private whenever bottom fishing. What do y'all think?

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    IMHO descending devices should be mandatory equipment on every boat, sport and private whenever bottom fishing. What do y'all think?
    On a voluntary basis. I’m not for another law...... Possibly let the passengers have access to the setup, read personal responsibility, if the deck hands are too busy.

Last edited:
    Reactions: maxsdad and Noms

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Enterprise rolled up on us this morning and Ive fished her a few times GREAT CAPTAIN AND CREW and SHAME ON YOU for calling them out, Enough tangles on a half day pulling up rockfish let alone trying to descend creating more line and gear on the bottom .... NOT COOL!

maxsdad
    maxsdad
    EVERYTHING that happens on that boat is the captain's responsibility, even if a passenger was the one who tossed the fish away. I doubt a pax tossed back a large fish, they were probably asking why they couldn't keep it. And why is it wrong for OP to call out the Enterprise, but it's okay for YOU to call him out?
    Upvote 0