Offshore Shake down and eviction notice...

PENN

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
That's a bummer. Now I'm in know way defending or condoning the freelance but I'm guessing your 7 mile estimate may be off a bit. If that boat could do 12 knots that would still take over a half hour to beeline and run down a paddy 7 Miles away.....just thinking out loud here

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
With all the suggestions of not tolerating the BS. I commend you Curt on how you remedied the situation. I do like the fishing uphill post but just the same like in life to avoid jackasses aka asshats one just goes the other way. . . . seems a bit easier.

Congrats on the Taco Meat!!

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
just the same like in life to avoid jackasses aka asshats one just goes the other way. . . . seems a bit easier.

A paddy is not worth fighting for, but in life some things are. If you appease bullies, they just get worse. Freedom figured out he can bully other boats away by throwing jigs and other aggressive, illegal behavior. In real life, appeasement only makes bullies worse.

Reactions: Ryan Gay
Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
I really appreciate the great posts. Like I said it was mainly a shake down after break down after break down and the boat being in/ out of shop for the last couple months, ran great. I was happy with that. Believe me, many of thoughts went thru my head as to what I could or should do but my last 2 trips with my managers from Ford Motor company, felling as though the grim reaper was riding my wake, With breakdown after break down, and understanding how quickly things go wrong from my last two trips just didn't have the energy or desire. I think most likely if any of the passengers have any idea , I didn't need to do a thing.

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
That's a bummer. Now I'm in know way defending or condoning the freelance but I'm guessing your 7 mile estimate may be off a bit. If that boat could do 12 knots that would still take over a half hour to beeline and run down a paddy 7 Miles away.....just thinking out loud here
I understand .

Reactions: Lone Shark
Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
lol was this on Wednesday? Sounds like I was on that boat or had the exact same scenario happen. Don't worry we didn't even get a bite all day.
Yes it was wedseday. Probably around 2 ish at the paddy. Beautiful day out there!! I was in a fly bridge boat skippy. Black stripped around top and bottom? Blue Bimini top? Were you on that boat?

Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma
Name
Joe Ski
Boat
19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
I think I will buy a large "diver in the water" flag and display it at my every stop. Might rename the boat to "SLEEPING DOGS" also.
I also carried tire spikes for those who thought tailgating me on my 09 1200 sportster was fun.
In short. If you think it is funny to put my life in jeopardy we should both be able to laugh. Only problem is I really don't want to dump my empty AK overboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: FINADDICT*
Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Boat
I think I will buy a large "diver in the water" flag and display it at my every stop. Might rename the boat to "SLEEPING DOGS" also.
I also carried tire spikes for those who thought tailgating me on my 09 1200 sportster was fun.
In short. If you think it is funny to put my life in jeopardy we should both be able to laugh. Only problem is I really don't want to dump my empty AK overboard.
Wow. I'm only quoting u so u can't erase your dumbass AK comment. And I love guns

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma
Name
Joe Ski
Boat
Let me know how that works out for you.
It's been working great.
When I go out in my boat, SAFETY is the number one issue. I steer away from ALL other vessels. It is a wide open ocean. I go where others aren't and find my own fish. I always give "way" and think it is funny when another boat sees me hooked up and asks if they can join the harvest. I don't purport to own the ocean or the fish in it.
If a person puts my life in extreme jeopardy, they might not like the outcome.
Jus sayin'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Boat
I do have the RIGHT to protect myself.
I can appreciate you having an AK47 on your private residence in case a gang of hoodlums comes at you. I have my own protection at home as well.

....But an AK47 on your boat off the California coast is the most comical thing I've read on here in a while.

Wait you dont shark dive in a PVC shark cage do you? :D

P.S. you should try this at the Coronados. I think it would be well received by the Mexican Navy LOL

Reactions: igotpron
Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma
Name
Joe Ski
Boat
I am done with this post. Only place I saw 47 was in your reply. Federalies in front of Husongs with AR15s since before 1980. If a US citizen dies in mexico it might cost 20 grand to see the body back on our soil. I have no desire to go to mexico. "Wouldn't want to be caught dead there"
Oh, and AK is what I named my dog.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I am done with this post. Only place I saw 47 was in your reply. Federalies in front of Husongs with AR15s since before 1980. If a US citizen dies in mexico it might cost 20 grand to see the body back on our soil. I have no desire to go to mexico. "Wouldn't want to be caught dead there"
Oh, and AK is what I named my dog.
So after your dog is empty you would have to dump him overboard? Not sure I want to know what you are thinking.

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
A paddy is not worth fighting for, but in life some things are. If you appease bullies, they just get worse. Freedom figured out he can bully other boats away by throwing jigs and other aggressive, illegal behavior. In real life, appeasement only makes bullies worse. A

@ 6' 3" and 260 lbs I am personally not often bullied, nor am I One. . . . I certainly do not disagree with you at all. That being said every situation is different I suppose. There are plenty of ass hats that need a slap upside the head or a kick in the ass. . . just not worth the time!

Reactions: Killsfish
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
The last time this happened to me, I fired it up and drove through the paddy a couple of times on my way out..After that I started taking pictures of the Gorgons and posting them here on BD. I even got feedback from the perps defending their right to muscle in.......Asshats............

Reactions: MikeeDaGuy
Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Ya moving away from unstable idiots is always in your best interest.
....for your own peace of mind......
But then if the ocean is that free..... , break out the ol Dacron and cod ganions , say a 20 footer no sinker, and lots of line ..... And say 2 complete laps around the ol crusty captains boat Otta fix his addittude real good as all those lines wrap up his props and rudders.......now don't forget to "set the hook" when you come tight around the stern.... After all the big one might get away ...... I must agree bullies get more brazen when allowed. Dacron is cheap, and so are big cod hooks. .....who knows maybe they will be more respectable.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Everyone knows where the old wooden landing is located. Go down there and pay to POS captain & landing manager a visit.

I took down a pic of the rig, put on the counter and told a story about why them they may want to steer clear of me next time because I'm just plain crazy and cannot control myself and I only live down the block so it's easy for me to come over and wait for a one on one discussion with the boy behind the wheel when he's on public property.

I think he keeps the pix in his wallet because the cattle scow has a different perspective of the true impact an errant jig might cause him when he steps on terra firma. Yep I'm that crazy mother f'er mr. cattle boat hack. I haven't met one yet that has the balls to stand up one on one when he's not behind the wheel.

Video disclaimer:
Name & boats and actions in this tale have been eliminated to protect the innocent...

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
It is what it is...FISHING!
When the fish are this close to home expect some competition.How many times this year have you seen sporties hooked up and holding the school?Answer...way too many LOL.
A few months ago just north of the 425 we counted over 20 seiners just sitting and waiting it out for the YF.This was just after they had reached their bluefin qouta.
Last year we did not see one seiner on the YF.

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
I would rather have a party boat crash my space than some jackass with no etiquette.
The party boat has enough bait to bring the fish up. They will most likely not shut a bite down. Use it to your advantage.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
long story short. Went paddy hoping left Dana point at about 1230 pm. Headed out straight towards 277. Saw quite a few empty but there were birds flying around so things started to look fishy . Saw puddling yellowfin and jumpers In 3 different school typical run and gun Proceeded to head towards the 277 off course by about 5° and there was one other boat about 5 miles away and no one else. didn't think anything of it . We spotted the biggest Paddy I've seen in a very long time probably the size of two garage doors floating with three or four birds on it ... I said here we go . I noticed another boat that looked familiar make a direct left turn full steam and proceeded to head directly towards us it was the freelance outa Newport Beach . We were metering fish on the paddy but by the time we got to our second drift the freelance backed right up to the Patty( literally 15 ' ) basically pushing us completely off the paddy and guess what??? the jigs were flying . One jig landed probably about 15 feet from the bow and at that point I said I'm not going to compete nor risk being hit by a jig. Talk about no etiquette !!!so we left I really wanted to stay but didn't want a problem. Those stupid dumasses looked at us like we were out of our league in our 24 skippy ... Headed back in to see a few scattered jumpers but they we're moving to fast. Stoped at the usual spots at Dana and got some taco meat and called it a day.
I would have made the prop cavitate on the paddy before I took off.

Upvote 0