Jay Warner

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
Just returned from another successful trip to Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge with Capt. Shane Jarvis. I'm not sure how he does it but each trip to his lodge seems to get better. I have had some incredible fishing experiences with him in the past but this time it was on fire. I got to the lodge a couple days before my actual fishing trip started. There was a returning group from NY there finishing up their 3 day trip and they were telling me how the Tuna were literally boiling between Hannibal Bank and Isla Montousa. They caught fish until they were tired and decided to spend the last day inshore. It was nice seeing those guys again and enjoying fish stories over gourmet meals and cold drinks.

I was down to fish with the Yo-Zuri America guys, Chris Bishop and Tyler Freeman. They were down for their first time to negotiate making Shane the newest member to their Pro Staff team and to shoot a lot of footage for some commercials/marketing material. Needless to say they were able to get more killer footage than they had planned on. Tyler released on video already that you can see on Yozuri FB page or on Shane's FB page, Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge. Its worth a visit to either site to check that video, it competes with the HUK video I posted last year. Yozuri plans to post a few of them here on BD when they get them all put together.

The fishing was nothing short of stellar. First day we headed out about 30 miles toward Hannibal Bank where we found the birds and porpoise working bait. The tuna were down deep at about 300 ft for most of the day but once the tide turned they made their way to the top and the mayhem started. They were a little picky and mostly wanted to eat chunk dines but did take a few live baits. We caught 6 or 8 nice fish and headed to the hill for appetizers, cold drinks, dinner to die for and sleep or coma as I like to call it when on the island. Next morning we headed out to the same area with Shane's other boat joining us shortly after we arrived with Capt Juan Castillo at the helm and his group of first timers from NY. We commenced to get worked by the tunas for the next 8 hours. The fish were awake early this day and were hungry, they ate everything we threw at them including some new release lures from YoZuri. We caught so many tuna we started giving them to the Commercial Boats working the area. Johnny got tired of cleaning fish and we actually got tired of catching them. As usual we had to catch ONE more, ha, and it was of course the big fish of the day. I happened to be up in the rotation and put the screws to a nice fat 150lber. I carried down some new reels for Shane and was using a brand new Talica 20 matched to a Black Fin stand up rod and an Aftco bucket harness with a Black Majic plate. That set up almost made it easy on that size fish. The group with Capt Juan got worked the same as us and could not get over the fishing in the Gulf of Chriqi. The last day the boys from Yozuri wanted some inshore footage for the new lures so we spent the day throwing plugs at rocks to get that footage. Not my favorite kind of fishing but no complaints, its never a bad thing to catch 5 or 6 different species in the same area. The guys from NY did the same as us but went another direction. Back at the lodge they went on and on about how good of a time they had and wished they would have booked 4 days rather than 2. I have a feeling they will be back next year too.

Dang didn't mean to ramble on for so long. I'm not much of a picture guys but stay tuned for the videos from Tyler. If he will clear it I will put up the one he has on FB. If you want a trip to remember for life, you really need to consider booking a trip with Shane. He books up fast, I think he as some dates late July and August which is not a bad time to go because it cools down a little then. Prime time is April thru July for the tuna and most anytime is good for Marlin and inshore never slows down. Heck I went down in November this past year and caught more BIG Dorado than ever. So yeah do yourself a favor and try it out, you won't be sorry.

Upvote 0

pje

Almost A Member
Mar 9, 2008
orlando
Name
PJ
Boat
34 Scarab Supersport
I saw Shane in that video a couple days ago , good to hear there are some big YFT in the area , we'll be fishing the same area in a couple weeks .

Shane will put you on the fish , definitely worth the trip down .

Upvote 0

mma

Almost A Member
May 12, 2011
santa rosa/ca/usa
Name
gary furness
Boat
na
Nice report Jay.
That was an awesome time to be fishing, excellent quality of tuna, and
a lot of fun to use a variety of methods to get hooked up.
gary

Upvote 0

Jay Warner

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
Nice report Jay.
That was an awesome time to be fishing, excellent quality of tuna, and
a lot of fun to use a variety of methods to get hooked up.
gary
For sure Gary. You guys did some serious damage. Post up a picture of that 300lb beast!!

Upvote 0

Jay Warner

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
No problem buddy. Lets get another one come June 22, looks like the fish are getting fatter and fatter as time goes. See you in a few weeks.

Upvote 0