johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Hi, just curious to see what you guys use for salmon trolling on the party boats. Rod/reel for trolling those 2 1/2lb weights. Thanks!

The reel is the important thing as you want to have a traditional setup that uses a mechanical dog ratchet that the weight can bounce on. Reels with instant AR bearings get beat up quick by trolling, if you do it regularly.

Think Penn Senator 3/0 or 4/0 with an a long handle is ideal. That click click when you reel is your ears telling you that you have decades of reliability inside the reel. Spool it with 30-40lb mono or 50-60 braid, your choice as they all have advantages and disadvantages. Mono for simplicity and stretch to keep you connected. Braid will get you a little deeper better. If you want something lighter then a graphite framed reel like a Penn Squall LD is perfect. It's dogs are silent if the clicking of others annoys.

After that, don't go too heavy on the rod as you want something with a soft tip to help you stay connected to the fish (barbless hooks only), particularly if you spool with braid as the no stretch gives the fish a little more wiggle room. Anything about 7' and rated 20-50 or so will do.

Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
    Sunnyvale
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Hopefully One Day
    I am using Seeker 270H-8 with Shimano Tekota 600LC. 25# mono with fluoro leader. Very happy with setup.

Upvote 0

Marcus

"Oddjob"
    May 21, 2004
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Marcus
    Boat
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    Fiberglass rods are the way to go. Most graphite is too stiff and you tend to get thrown hooks when you get head shakes. Also the fiberglass rods do a better job of hanging the 2.5 lb lead better.

I learned this lesson when going back up to Norcal after living down here for so long and only taking graphite rods with me.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Shit you could just bring an ultralight trout rod those gay salmon just swim with the boat anyways. Who wants to troll for a fish that's so weak they don't even have to kick boat in neutral when someone gets hooked up. :gay::supergay:

Reactions: Dave Coopman
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Shit you could just bring an ultralight trout rod those gay salmon just swim with the boat anyways. Who wants to troll for a fish that's so weak they don't even have to kick boat in neutral when someone gets hooked up. :gay::supergay:

Sounds like it's time for you to come out of the Closet and go Salmon fishing?

You seem a little Salmon obsessed/Salmon curious...is this something you've been struggling with? LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Sounds like it's time for you to come out of the Closet and go Salmon fishing?

You seem a little Salmon obsessed/Salmon curious...is this something you've been struggling with? LOL

No sir not at all. I think the mighty salmon is a weak fighter, poor table fare and just all around gay :gay:

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    No sir not at all. I think the mighty salmon is a weak fighter, poor table fare and just all around gay :gay:

Ah, now we are having a discussion :).

If you look at my posts in this forum I for one call Salmon the "Pussies of the Sea, pound for pound..." among saltwater game fish.

However, a Salmon fighting for it's life in a stream on light gear is a sporting challenge I think you will find.

Older Salmon in a stream are cat food at best, agreed, but chrome bright fish eat well.

Until you have had caught that day say, a 7lb krill fed spring Salmon prepared by someone knowledgeable I will suggest that you are missing out of one of the best eating experiences you will ever have.

The bigger ones I prefer grilled. The best fish smoked you will ever have, imo. Try applewood.

The whole damn reason to go Salmon fishing is for the fantastic eats.

Incredible eats fresh out of the ocean my friend. If you are gonna pass, well that's more for me...:)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    I love Salmon fishing. Early season Salmon feeding on Krill is pretty damn good any way its prepared. I think there is more ways to prepare a Salmon than most other fish. River rotters can darken and smoking them is the norm. Getting a chromer in the river not uncommon and we'll BBQ those up happily. Agree a Salmon will not pull like a tuna or like most of your Pelagics but it's still a great fish to go after. Hook a 20lb+ in a 2'-3' in clear water on light gear, add the barbless hook requirement trust me you have got a fight. Finesse over power wins. Also your hookset to land ratio is going to be far-far less then tuna fishing. I have caught 50-70lb bluefin and 50lb Rooster's so I have experienced some great fighting fish and can appreciate the power of them . A salmon will break your heart many times over. Everyone is different, for me the Yellowtail that I caught in San Diego was just o.k. tasting. For table, I'd take rockfish and Ling cod over it. Back to the OP question, what gear?? tight lines,,,gregg

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    The hook regs are many, I was encapsulating the different aspects. Once you go above the I-5 bridge on the Sac there's barbless reg's that kick in. On the feather there's barbless reg's also. On the salt there is different hook requirements depending on method of fishing. TD start a new thread on the subject, the OP post has gone to far off point already,,,gregg

Upvote 0

flickfish

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2015
    San Francisco
    Name
    Nic
    Boat
    Sea Wolf
    I don't go often, just to fill my freezer once or twice a year. I've been using a 7'6" Daiwa Proteus MHF and a Penn Fathom 15LD2 with 30# braid connected to a fluoro leader that is approximately rod length or two. Good enough, never lost a fish. Just make sure you always keep a bend in your rod and listen to the deckhand with the net VERY carefully. When he tells you to lift, LIFT!

Reactions: desmonic
    Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
    Sunnyvale
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Hopefully One Day
    My new setup is Calstar 970C with Talica 10. I always fish the first spot on bow with a 4# ball. That way I can go up and down in depth and do not have to worry about tangling anyone. My backup setup now is 8’ Seeker 270H with talica 10 as well. I know it is overkill but I went nuts buying a lot of gear a while ago and now I just want to use it. Ugly Stick with Okuma Convector could do the job just as good... just don’t tell it to my wife

Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    270H 8' for the rod. The last few boats I went on the captains all said braid was the name of the game. I've been using a fathom 25 and really like that setup. Never lost a fish ;)

Upvote 0

Tom Kim

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2008
    Fairfield CA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    You have no clue of the "behind the scenes"... Mods falsified fabricated excuses that lead to myself being banned from CS!!...

Did you Read the "Bring Back Queegueg Threads???!!"...

Did you see/read the tremendous support I garnered???!!...

When the mods were asked/challenged to SHOW the offending Posts...Did the mods provide a SINGLE ...example???!!!

The Resounding answer being NO!!!...

"IF" you read this thread in it's entirety...which is patently obvious you Haven't!!...I was directly responding & confronting that Massive Brainless by-product of incestual breeding aka..."sitonmyface" ....

So unless you FULLY Understand the Coastside situation...Which you COULD NOT!!!....best to keep your uneducated & under qualified opinions to yourself....Queegueg

The answer to your question is yes, I am FULLY aware of the posts you are referring to and frankly I dont give shit about it or the issues of censorship. I dont think you reliaze what you say has profound impact on how someone may feel when that person did nothing to deserve it. It's got nothing to do with censorship but rather you going out of your way to personally attack someone for your enjoyment.
    Someone who is inexperienced is simply asking for help and advise that's all.
    Just tone it down dude I know your a good fisherman and would like nothing more than see you contribute on this site. We need more BD users sharing information and knowledge.
    By the way I am not a moderator of any sort and certainly hate to see anyone get kicked off any site especially when your paying for it. But equally hate to see someone stop using this site because of this sort of thing.

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0