Inshore SF Bay Redrock / Paradise Halibuts 5/15/21

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
Petaluma, California USA
Name
Ben
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
Had another go for Halibuts this past weekend, Sat 5/15 launched from loch lomond harbor around 7am. I have been hearing about a lot of action on the bay recently and people have been pulling in some big guys for the bay.. I got kicked out of 1st place in the halibut derby at LLH with my lil 27lb butt by someone who reeled in a 50 pounder last week!

It was wiiiindy .. cold and snotty.. there was a lot of chop and wind waves strong currents, not ideal to say the least.. we didnt last too long out there .. spent our time just south or red rock before seeking shelter in paradise cove .. for the short time we were out there we pulled in one nice sized keeper and a few shakers so we were getting hits.. Also hooked a couple rays that kept us busy..

5-15-21 sf bay butts (2).jpg

But the Catch of the day by far was while I was drifting live bait near the buoy off of paradise pier and hooked into this!

An 8ft Phenix Abyss n Avet SX !

5-15-21 sf bay butts Pheonix (2).jpg

5-15-21 sf bay butts Avet.jpg

Amazingly it seems to free spool just fine after a quick cleanup and corosionX treatment. .. Shows how good these reels are. I was just blown away at how well it functioned after a quick rinse. The Phenix rod cleaned up like new with the exception of the handle wrap was a bit worn.. not sure how long it was down there .. but i could have pulled it up and fished it same day ..
I might tear it down and do a rebuild on it .. leaving the outside with its battle scars from rolling around in the tide on the bottom of the bay..

5-15-21 sf bay butts Avet 3.jpg

5-15-21 sf bay butts Avet 2.jpg

5-15-21 sf bay butts Pheonix 2.jpg

Last edited:

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    :appl: :appl: :appl:

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I heard of a guide who had a customer send a rod over the rail while halibut drifting🤷‍♂️
    I know a guy that reeled up a rod and reel, but it was kind of crusty?

Reactions: jigsaurus
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and nice flatty! Yes Avets are great reels. I have 6. LOL Sad loss for someone.
    Tether those trollers. Seen launches before.
    Good Maint. keeps Avets happy.

Upvote 0