URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Went out with the wife and kids and got into the black sea bass and one halibut. Very nice day and had following seas heading out of the bay. Smoothed out later on and had a great ride in at about 35mph.

BE73B100-3E3F-4E5C-A154-0F41415EE615.jpeg

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Solid haul there.
    Thanks,
    I'm still learning the area and found that outside of Resurrection Bay produces better than inside the bay. It took three moves to find the school of rockfish but after we found the school it was limits in a few minutes.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Very nice! The one time I was up there, we took a look just outside the bay and the captain turned the boat around right at the mouth since it was so choppy.

Is the ocean salmon run done for the year?

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Very nice! The one time I was up there, we took a look just outside the bay and the captain turned the boat around right at the mouth since it was so choppy.

Is the ocean salmon run done for the year?

Silver run is basically done. A few guys trying to snag from shore at the culvert in Seward. Some feeder kings have been caught but they're hard to target. Lots of bait in the water and some halibut still around. Pretty much have to be outside the bay in 350'+ of water. It's getting the time of year where the weather changes quick and hopefully I'll be able to get on some deer near Montague. I'd like to fish for winter kings while cruising the shoreline looking for deer to shoot. Ultimate surf and turf.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Silver run is basically done. A few guys trying to snag from shore at the culvert in Seward. Some feeder kings have been caught but they're hard to target. Lots of bait in the water and some halibut still around. Pretty much have to be outside the bay in 350'+ of water. It's getting the time of year where the weather changes quick and hopefully I'll be able to get on some deer near Montague. I'd like to fish for winter kings while cruising the shoreline looking for deer to shoot. Ultimate surf and turf.

thanks! Can your boat make the run to Montague? I hear that’s where the big fish hang out. That trip is on my bucket list..

damn pandemic foiled my Alaska trip this year.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    thanks! Can your boat make the run to Montague? I hear that’s where the big fish hang out. That trip is on my bucket list..

damn pandemic foiled my Alaska trip this year.
    We made the run to Montague twice. For that far of a run we overnight on the boat. It isn't super comfortable but 3 of us managed it. Over 80 miles one way. On the way home the last time the water got pretty rough. 20+ miles of 5-6ft waves wasn't fun. We did well with halibut though. Nothing huge but very consistent.

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    We made the run to Montague twice. For that far of a run we overnight on the boat. It isn't super comfortable but 3 of us managed it. Over 80 miles one way. On the way home the last time the water got pretty rough. 20+ miles of 5-6ft waves wasn't fun. We did well with halibut though. Nothing huge but very consistent.

We must have crossed at the dock. I think you were just pulling in when we finished cleaning fish. The run out to Montague is a long one especially if the seas are up. I used to live out on Evans Island and fished the Montague area in a wooden skiff back in the late 80's. No one else around. Huge lingcod everywhere you dropped. So many boats out there on a nice day now it looks like a parking lot. Kind of sad.

We run out past Aialik for rockfish now. Big schools of black rockfish on most every exposed point. And a few legal lings left here and there. We rarely keep the lings but got into enough last weekend we went ahead and kept one along with a nice yelloweye with the black rockfish.

I have to admit I still have not figured out the halibut lately. Cannot stand to bait fish and making a day run down from Anchorage does not leave much time to move around.
    IMG_6213.jpg

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    We must have crossed at the dock. I think you were just pulling in when we finished cleaning fish. The run out to Montague is a long one especially if the seas are up. I used to live out on Evans Island and fished the Montague area in a wooden skiff back in the late 80's. No one else around. Huge lingcod everywhere you dropped. So many boats out there on a nice day now it looks like a parking lot. Kind of sad.

We run out past Aialik for rockfish now. Big schools of black rockfish on most every exposed point. And a few legal lings left here and there. We rarely keep the lings but got into enough last weekend we went ahead and kept one along with a nice yelloweye with the black rockfish.

I have to admit I still have not figured out the halibut lately. Cannot stand to bait fish and making a day run down from Anchorage does not leave much time to move around. View attachment 1200845
    Nice ling!! We are in a 25ft Whaler Frontier with an electric trolling motor on the front. Things get busy at the dock so we might have crossed paths.

I understand about the day run thing. It's sixes either way to run out of Seward or Whittier. Tunnel plus parking negates the longer drive and cheaper parking/launching in Seward. Plus the fishing is better closer in than Whittier. Day trips usually entail leaving early am and getting back late. Hard to do with kiddos, but its worth it. Its fun when the 4yo and 6yo get arguing about who caught the most and the biggest. Thats a good problem to have.

Aialik Cape/Bay looks like an interesting area to explore. We go short out of the bay near Barwell heading across Day Harbor. Get to see goats on the mountains and the fishing has been pretty good, especially when the school of rockfish are found.

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    That yelloweye looks different than the ones I’ve seen. That one has stripes.

No.

I guess there’s no size limit. I had to release to big ones in Yakutat last week. Can’t keep them there.

The stripes are common on juvenile yellow eye so I was surprised to see them on this big mature fish when it came up. Later when I went to fillet it, it had turned back to solid orange like the one above. To provide some perspective, the lingcod in the cooler with the yelloweye is over 36".

In Southcentral Alaska the limit on demersal shelf (non-pelagic) rock fish is 1-day. In Southeast Alaska including Yakutat, there is no retention allowed for Yelloweye or any other demersal shelf rockfish.

We try to fish in less than 90' of water and quickly return most all bottom dwellers. This was the first one we have kept in several years. First lingcod we have kept in several years also.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat

This description is correct just not applicable in this case. Fish only showed the light stripes for a very short period of time when stressed. Turned completely orange just a few minutes later. Juveniles do not loose their white stripes after death. This picture is the same fish just before filleting. Click on the picture to see full detail.
    IMG_6219a.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    The dorsal spines on the yellow eye kinda reminds me of the cow cods we have down here. Due to the restriction, the last one I caught was in santos Tomas reef in Mexico back ‘05. I bet it was delish.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    The dorsal spines on the yellow eye kinda reminds me of the cow cods we have down here. Due to the restriction, the last one I caught was in santos Tomas reef in Mexico back ‘05. I bet it was delish.

Cowcod and yelloweye are very similar in many respects.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Interesting. Wish I could have kept one.
    Best eating of all Alaska fish in my opinion, Doug. Was just going to ask how your trip went, then saw your report. Right on man! Good times and good eats for quite a while. I actually like lingcod after yelloweye, toss up between black rf and halibut after that. But that's a one-time Alaskan fish snob splitting hairs... great eats, great times, happy for you brother.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen

I have to admit I still have not figured out the halibut lately. Cannot stand to bait fish and making a day run down from Anchorage does not leave much time to move around. View attachment 1200845

Fishing Montague in a skiff in the 80's. Man o man. I did a bunch of charters in the early 00's and it was still great. Limits of big lings, nice halibut, rockfish and silvers in a single day. Can't imagine how good it was once upon a time...
    Got a buddy and his son helping me plan a once-in-a-lifetime AK trip next summer. Hardcore fishers. Hoping to join them if it fits my Slope schedule. Would love to pick your ear for real time trip planning.

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Fishing Montague in a skiff in the 80's. Man o man. I did a bunch of charters in the early 00's and it was still great. Limits of big lings, nice halibut, rockfish and silvers in a single day. Can't imagine how good it was once upon a time...
    Got a buddy and his son helping me plan a once-in-a-lifetime AK trip next summer. Hardcore fishers. Hoping to join them if it fits my Slope schedule. Would love to pick your ear for real time trip planning.

You probably know as much as I do. Pretty much depends on your target and budget. Best fishing will be during July for most anything in saltwater. Fish Yakutat, Kodiak, Sitka or more remote areas of SE or SC. Ideally do a multi day with someone like Crackerjack charters out of Seward or Crazy Rays out of Whittier. The Local Knowledge episode with Crackerjack pretty much covers that option. If you plan to use charters you better get busy booking now or they will be full up then.

Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    I think you can only keep 4 halibut per year if you're on a charter in Southcentral. You can still keep one non-pelagic rockfish in Southcentral, but not Southeast of Kodiak area. Having run out of Seward, Whittier and Homer, I think Seward is best for an all around experience. Homer has better halibut but less salmon. Whittier has better salmon but you have to run way out to get into the halibut consistently. Seward seems to be good for halibut, rockfish and salmon.

If you're going for lifetime trip and you know how to handle a boat and know some spots then maybe renting a boat is the better bet. If you rent a boat you could do a couple over-nighters and capitalize on the two possession limit for halibut, try to limit out on silvers near Pony Cove and make runs into town to drop off fish at processors. There are public use cabin rentals that go quickly but allow people to overnight easier. Just be aware that if you catch ling they have to be 35" or longer, and can only be kept outside of resurrection bay. Once you enter back into the bay with ling onboard you are done fishing!! Best case scenario is if you limit out on silvers, rockfish, and halibut then you can go for ling and kings. On a charter I doubt you'd have the flexibility to do lots of species on the same day.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    You probably know as much as I do. Pretty much depends on your target and budget. Best fishing will be during July for most anything in saltwater. Fish Yakutat, Kodiak, Sitka or more remote areas of SE or SC. Ideally do a multi day with someone like Crackerjack charters out of Seward or Crazy Rays out of Whittier. The Local Knowledge episode with Crackerjack pretty much covers that option. If you plan to use charters you better get busy booking now or they will be full up then.
    Yeah, Crackerjack and Profish-n-Sea were my go to guys in Seward. Always wanted to do a multi day with Andy, but seems they were group charters, no individuals just jumping onboard. Kodiak has always been on my radar and have suggested it to my friend. I'll push that angle. His son is really into fly fishing, so a lodge with river fishing is one option. Or salt charters out of Seward of Homer and a Kenai drift or fly out trip or for rainbows. I'll look into Rays, thanks for the tip!
    Used to love to put together trips for friends coming up to visit when I lived in Anchorage. I have a nephew who I talked into doing a halibut charter out of Seward in May years ago. Before we even got out of the bay, amazed at the scenery alone, he said "Thanks so much for making me go on this trip!" Hadn't even started fishing yet! Then he caught an 80-lb halibut. Pissed me off a little bit, I jigged for hours and released a dozen 30+ lb. lings and only caught 25 lb. halibut. But I still tell this story with a smile on my face.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    I keep forgetting how cool it is up here. With the wildlife and wilderness.

Several good options out on Kodiak.

In SC you might want to call Ray at Crazy Rays and talk to him about a multi day. He just got his new boat up and running this summer. His is the big one in the background. I am hoping mine will grow up to be like his some day but not likely to happen.

IMG_2685.JPG

Icey Bay Lodge (Yakutat) looks like a quality operation and you have access to SW and FW in August/September.

Upvote 0