Dexter Outdoors

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
I recently heard John Collins talk about the Seven Seven knot on the radio, as his go to knot for solid spectra to spectra coonections.
Anybody know how to tie this knot and can explain it, have a diagram or video link? I have looked a around a bit with no luck, maybe it has another name?
thanks.

Reactions: kevinliuser
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Could it be the RP knot with 7 wraps down and 7 wraps up? John Collins does use the RP not, or at least he used to.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Knot Yet
    Could it be the RP knot with 7 wraps down and 7 wraps up? John Collins does use the RP not, or at least he used to.
    No it's not a 7 turn RP.
    John said he learned the knot from Roy Rose and its a little involved, but 100%.
    Roy refers to the knot as "Roy's Mistake" because of the way he learned it early on.

John say that some of his reels have a couple of these knots in the line and he just leaves them in because they are so reliable. Again it's just for solid to solid spectra connections.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    May you call call the Office of the Independence. Johns wife is there, and John is there a lat also. I have talked to him 3-4 times when I call. Let us know what you find out. Maybe he can make a video to go along with the others he has done for knots.

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    22ft, Pursuit
    I have seen John tie it (he was showing me), but that was a couple years ago. Not the simplest knot, but works very well for connecting two size's of braid.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Fished the Shogun several years back. Bruce, Norm, and Tommie Miles (Gunny) He tied the back to back Uni knot, spectra to fluoro. Called it the 9 to 5. Like nine turns with the braid, five turns with the leader material.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Fished the Shogun several years back. Bruce, Norm, and Tommie Miles (Gunny) He tied the back to back Uni knot, spectra to fluoro. Called it the 9 to 5. Like nine turns with the braid, five turns with the leader material.
    Sounds like a Banker's Knot to me.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Steve K
    Bill W
    Bill W
    But would you take it to the bank?
    Upvote 0
    FishRock
    FishRock
    Bill,

I will stick with depositing/deploying the FG knot at da Bank.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0