peterng0

Mar 3, 2012
Redlands, CA
Name
Peter
Boat
na
Hi Everyone,

I'm heading out on a 3 day this Sunday night (09/19/2021) on the Navegante out of Redondo Beach and would like some feedback/suggestions on my quiver.

This year we'll be starting off at Tanner Bank if weather permits and then I think just off shore searching for whatever wants to bite. Not sure if I should leave the single speed reels at home and just pack the 2 speeds just in case? I used mainly single speeds last year and it worked just fine on the 30-60# class Bluefin we ran into.

Current Setups:

1. Flat Fall - Super Seeker 2x4 w/ Saltiga 60ii, 150# braid
2. Light Flat Fall/Heavy Flyline - Custom North Fork Composites 100# rail rod w/ Talica 20, 100# braid
3. 40# rig - UC Monster w/ Saltiga 35, 65# braid (should I put the Talica 10ii with 50# braid on this instead?)
4. 30# rig - UC Tilefish Jr w/ Fathom 15ii, 65# braid
5. Surface Iron - UC Reaper w/ Saltiga 30, 40# mono
6. Cod Rod/Yoyo - Custom Seeker 760MH w/ Fathom 30ii, 80# braid

I have an assortment of flat falls, hooks, and fluorocarbon from 15# to 80# I can top shot depending on what's around.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best,
Peter

Last edited:

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I've been on the Navegante three times this summer, didn't take half of what you are bringing, and didn't need anything else. Don't over-think it, this is not a Long Range trip. You probably are going to try for big tuna (you are set up fine for that) and maybe yellowtail and other bottom critters on the bank (you are set up fine for that) and you never know, maybe there is a school crashing tiny bait on the surface (you are set up for that, too.)

Have a great time! I'm looking forward to your report.

Reactions: peterng0
    P
    peterng0
    I may have fished with you! I did a 1.5 day WSB Special and a Full day YT special with them recently.

This one is a 3 day trip so we'd be going some what long range? I don't know.. depends on the charter master & captain.

Will definitely have a report up once I get back.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Think you're set with a nice quiver! How much lift do you get with your 40# rig/8'0" UC US Monster? If you hooked a "Larger Model", always an occupational hazard (opportunity?) these days, does it have sufficient Lift/Recoil? Rating is 20/40, and I have always considered this to be more of a Parabolic rod for the UC Line-up.

If you are looking to add an arrow, take a look at the 8'0" UC US Terminator, I really like mine, my favorite Fly Line rig.

Here is what the power curve of the 8'0" US Terminator looks like lifting 18# of lead:

PXL_20210806_230110887._exported_1235_1628291579354.jpg

Last edited:
    P
    peterng0
    Thank you sir!

The UC Monster has a decent amount of lift, but you're right it's very parabolic and moderate action, doesn't shut off as quick as other rods in the line up. I think the Tilefish Jr has a lot more lift/power than the Monster.

I'll take a look into the Terminator for the future though, thank you for the suggestion!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Is the saltiga 35 a ld or star? If star I would swap the 35 and 30 on that reaper. I use my reaper with a first gen saltiga 30T. Otherwise you are good and I wouldnt fish the talica 10 at #40. Make sure you got lead for the sinker rig! Post a report let us know how the trip went. I was on a long rod trip on the Navegante and we killed it on some jumbo yellowtail that's a fishy boat! Good luck.

P
    peterng0
    The 35 is a star drag.

I always heard that a wider spool for a jig stick would be better (line comes off easier?), that's why I put the 30 on there..

I slapped the Talica 10 on the Monster last night but may still change it out.

I have yet to hook up on the surface iron so that'll be the goal this trip. We did fairly well last year so hopefully it will be a repeat or better!

Thank you for the feedback.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0