Setting up 2-clip kite line - distance from swivel?

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat Name
Triton
i'm setting up a new kite line to accommodate a new SWE kite that i plan to run with a balloon when soaking a flyer. already have a boston big game kite which i will use to skip the yummee. i got one of these 2-clip kits and was going to set it up for a long and short for the 2 kites.

with how high the boston big game flies i usually put kite clip down about 100-80' from swivel so when you get bit you don't have miles of line to reel to get tight.

where do people usually set the clip when using a SWE and helium balloon? this is a new kite to me and i think people usually can fly them closer to the boat than boston big game

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    One great hint.... when concerned about wasting helium.... and balloon longevity..... Get the gel for coating the inside... while blowing it up.

Why? Good quality latex with zero "leakage" is very difficult to find... in the sizes we need. Most balloons sold for kite fishing have a fair amount of leakage.... right through the skin.

So I worked with a friend many years ago ...who had a balloon business. When filling .... the Professionals have a gel... they squirt INTO the "neck" before filling. (Smoosh it around for good coverage on all areas.... BEFORE you put the helium in. The gel forms a coat inside the whole balloon.... like "runflat".... keeping the helium trapped.

I use to laugh at them.... BUT we did a job... where half the balloons had "gel".... the other half didn't. I personally saw 3 days with the gel.... hours without it!!

So kite fishing with balloons.... see your local Safeway...or Albertson's Floral Dept. They should have a 1 gallon jug.... with squirt type pump... right on the counter. "Small talk" goes a long way... to finally convincing them they should sell me the whole jug. So....see your local Florist.... they have the Sh#%.

For the kite.... worth its weight in gold. 3 days is my longest "flyable" balloon for the kite....with gel. Just an old kite guy... seen some things that work. Now you know. Good luck.

P.S. One last though.... putting more in... than is necessary to coat the inside.... only adds weight to the equation. Go sparingly.... but remember its purpose. Well...."I got MOST of it".... yeah.... it's floating in a puddle... at the bottom of the inflated balloon.... more weight. Practice makes perfect. You'll see.

Last edited:
    JohnnyK87137
    JohnnyK87137
    Good to know. And for all those reading buy your ballons in 12 packs on Amazon I’ve had very very good luck with the black pack for about 15 bucks. Just searched it and now they sell an 8 pack for 14 bucks at less than 2 bucks a ballon ya can’t beat it
    Upvote 0
    bradnoble
    bradnoble
    I use the gel stuff, it’s called hi float…
    Upvote 0
    W
    woodfish330
    Yes....
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 24 Fly
    One great hint.... when concerned about wasting helium.... and balloon longevity..... Get the gel for coating the inside... while blowing it up.

Why? Good quality latex with zero "leakage" is very difficult to find... in the sizes we need. Most balloons sold for kite fishing have a fair amount of leakage.... right through the skin.

So I worked with a friend many years ago ...who had a balloon business. When filling .... the Professionals have a gel... they squirt INTO the "neck" before filling. (Smoosh it around for good coverage on all areas.... BEFORE you put the helium in. The gel forms a coat inside the whole balloon.... like "runflat".... keeping the helium trapped.

I use to laugh at them.... BUT we did a job... where half the balloons had "gel".... the other half didn't. I personally saw 3 days with the gel.... hours without it!!

So kite fishing with balloons.... see your local Safeway...or Albertson's Floral Dept. They should have a 1 gallon jug.... with squirt type pump... right on the counter. "Small talk" goes a long way... to finally convincing them they should sell me the whole jug. So....see your local Florist.... they have the Sh#%.

For the kite.... worth its weight in gold. 3 days is my longest "flyable" balloon for the kite....with gel. Just an old kite guy... seen some things that work. Now you know. Good luck.

P.S. One last though.... putting more in... than is necessary to coat the inside.... only adds weight to the equation. Go sparingly.... but remember its purpose. Well...."I got MOST of it".... yeah.... it's floating in a puddle... at the bottom of the inflated balloon.... more weight. Practice makes perfect. You'll see.
    You might be my hero of the week, thanks for the tip! I always stay out for multiple days and always have to top off my balloons.

@JKULAK731 those black balloons were my secret dammit. Haha. Good luck out there. I agree 80-100ft. For one but I never ran two baits, I'd think you may want to go further for multiple baits, just bc of the weight, to give the kite some extra leverage but I dunno.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    As for clip positioning... I'm with you.... if adjusted properly.... provides less if any reeling is needed. Just pointing the rod at the fish... counting to 5.... setting the hook... is the ideal.

Depending on the clip brand... the easiest and most adjustable is this.... simply stop the kite rod and tie a small loop knot (ie small dropper loop...1 inch), hang your clip on that loop. Tie as many loops as needed....3 or 4... at most. I've used size 64 rubber bands as well... with fair results....more headache....cause they WILL move.

Now you don't want your kite reel.... to have 10 knots between you and that kite. So... when your retrieving the kite line.... just reel those small loops onto the reel... making sure to cover them quickly. Remove the clips on your kite retrieve.... reset and go. I have 4 on my kite reel... it allows for 90% of all adjustments needed to fish that kite right. Try it.... you'll like it. Just don't over think it. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Triton

this is great info!

Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Triton
    As for clip positioning... I'm with you.... if adjusted properly.... provides less if any reeling is needed. Just pointing the rod at the fish... counting to 5.... setting the hook... is the ideal.

Depending on the clip brand... the easiest and most adjustable is this.... simply stop the kite rod and tie a small loop knot (ie small dropper loop...1 inch), hang your clip on that loop. Tie as many loops as needed....3 or 4... at most. I've used size 64 rubber bands as well... with fair results....more headache....cause they WILL move.

Now you don't want your kite reel.... to have 10 knots between you and that kite. So... when your retrieving the kite line.... just reel those small loops onto the reel... making sure to cover them quickly. Remove the clips on your kite retrieve.... reset and go. I have 4 on my kite reel... it allows for 90% of all adjustments needed to fish that kite right. Try it.... you'll like it. Just don't over think it. Good luck.
    i think this might be the way to go. put 3 loops at 80-100-120. that should give me enough adjustment to get the clip in the best spot depending on wind

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    MODOT66....There's a slight variation that you can experiment with... that allows a less permenant attachment point... that will allow you to find the "sweet spot". This is how it works....

Instead of tying the kite line directly into that small loop .... as we discussed at your desired distance..... try this instead. Tie yourself 3 or 4 (4" diameter.... circular loops of spectra / dacron line....NOT MONO OR FLOURO). When you get to the distance you want ....say 80 feet, stop.... and tie that loop.... into a dropper loop.... by wrapping it 5 -8 times inside its own loop... than tightening. Wet it for sure. Now..... hook up the clip to that loop. This way you can adjust.... the distance.

Do the same for the second distance for the second bait. If you have an. Angler controlling both baits.... 120' works well. If not.... maybe more to avoid tangles.... and too low of a level to release on time. You'll get it. It works well to find the areas (proper lengths) before you tie your more permanent droppers on that kite rod line. Good luck brother.

Upvote 0
    Jan 6, 2022
    The Free State Of Florida
    Name
    Tom Duggan
    Boat Name
    N/A
    We usally use 90'-120' from the kite to the first clip, and 50'-90 on the 2nd, and 3rd spacing. I like to use wax floss as the stop for the clip, no swivels. (saves the operators fingers, and is 100% line strength.) We have gotten away from using a bridal on the balloon. Instead we wax floss to the balloon, then the spar on the opposite corner of banking direction, or just tie the balloon directly to the spar. We buy helium from a welding shop, and use white balloons theory is less heat = less gas expansion, and less random poping.

Upvote 0

Modot66

Jul 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    Triton
    sorry to revive this older thread...

when flying kites, on the fighting reel, are people connecting the flyers/yummies directly to braid, or is it common to have 100yds or so of mono for stretch?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    MODOT..."Johnny..." above is correct. This is how I run my angler lines as well. If you run a mono top shot.... you NEVER want that connection running through the kite clip.... in either direction.... so a long top shot. Good luck brother. Their starting to get those fish on the kite locally.

Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II

You have a pic of this loop/clip setup? Thx!

Upvote 0