Setting Drag Spring Scale : straight off reel Vs Bendo pull...

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
... Capt Mike made us check our drags every morning on the 2 spring scales ... He knew the drag settings would change through many years of experience.
was that re-checking by a straight pull off the reel (rod pointed at the scale) or pulling through a bendo - you guys were doing?

perhaps last century technology (star drags in particular, reel design and old drag materials) were more susceptible to mechanical drift, heat and the elements

then you got users tweaking the star and losing the sweet spot (that's why I prefer quality lever drag reels I've tested and trust)

I think we are definitely using more drag these days heavy saltwater big tuna game fishing with spectra belt and rail techniques that test knots and hooks to maximum

hard or impossible for me to feel the difference between 20 and 35 lbs of drag pulling it off the reel by hand - let alone what 40 plus pounds of drag feels like setting it by hand

at that point I would value the precision a digital scale (with peak hold) can give me

and bless the genius deckhand who beelines for my preset knob to help me with my drag setting ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
was that re-checking by a straight pull off the reel (rod pointed at the scale) or pulling through a bendo - you guys were doing?

perhaps last century technology (star drags in particular, reel design and old drag materials) were more susceptible to mechanical drift, heat and the elements

then you got users tweaking the star and losing the sweet spot (that's why I prefer quality lever drag reels I've tested and trust)

I think we are definitely using more drag these days heavy saltwater big tuna game fishing with spectra belt and rail techniques that test knots and hooks to maximum

hard or impossible for me to feel the difference between 20 and 35 lbs of drag pulling it off the reel by hand - let alone what 40 plus pounds of drag feels like setting it by hand

at that point I would value the precision a digital scale (with peak hold) can give me

and bless the genius deckhand who beelines for my preset knob to help me with my drag setting ...
Off the rod tip. He wanted 22lb's of drag at strike on the 80lb gear before we put it in the water. It was pretty remarkable how many fish we got through the sharks when when we pulled hard and everyone followed directions.

Reactions: geebee
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Yes a fish can come in to hot. Making it unpredictable and sporadic close to the boat always better to allow it to burn some energy away from the boat first where less can go wrong
There is no shortage of crew that know that plenty can go wrong when the fish is away from the boat.

The other side to the "wear them out" logic goes further than just maximum pressure to get the fish to the boat ASAP. A number of private boaters who have a fish hooked on heavy (kite) gear put maximum pressure on it and put the boat in gear to get the fish headed towards the back of the boat. Once you have the fish pointed in the right direction winch it in with as much pressure as possible. If you have ever released pressure on a running fish you know they often settle down and stop pulling so hard to get away. Cows have been landed in under 15 minutes using that technique. Of course you need to have good people on the gaffs to get connected to the fish when it comes to the boat.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger