Set ups to bring on Islander Kayak mothership trip to San Clemente?

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    Going on a kayak mothership trip on the Islander later this month for my first time doing such a trip.

I am debating what set ups to bring. Part of me thinks I should bring everything including my heavy tuna gear and heavy knife jigs jigs just in case, but part of me thinks I should probably just bring the stuff I’ll actually use kayak fishing, especially since I’ll be lugging a lot of kayaking gear and the kayak and not just the fishing stuff.

I have two nice saltwater spinning setups, an old original Penn Fierce combo, and a newer Penn Fierce III combo, both have the largest size 8000 spinning reel, and both I just freshly spooled with 40lb mono.

Earlier this year I caught a 38.5lb gilled and gutted bluefin tuna on the Penn Defiance III while fishing from a sportboat when it was filled with 30lb mono, so I feel confident it could handle a similar sized yellowtail from the yak no problem.

Should I maybe just bring those two rods/reels and a tackle box along with the kayak and kayak stuff?

Do any of you know what the chance of doing some bigger tuna fishing is? If I bring a conventional trolling rod would I be able to troll from the Islander when it’s motoring?

The other set ups that I could bring are a light Penn Defiance conventional set up spooled with 20lb flourocarbon, a Penn Special Senator/Slammer rod spooled with 60lb mono(trolling and dropper loop/bottom fishing), and a Penn VISX 12 spooled with 80lb braid and an 80lb mono top shot paired with a Carnage rod(heavy jigging/sinker rigs for bigger fish than what normally would be expected to encounter nearshore).

Too_Tired

Apr 25, 2012
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Angel N.
    Boat Name
    n/a
    20lb 30lb and 40lb setups are all I've used the last couple years doing this trip. They should be giving a heads up if they're calling it a no go on the kayaks and switching over to a bft trip instead. If it's anything like last year the island was blown out for a couple of the trips and they changed it to tuna trips instead.

I'd reach out to Mike Ponce and get some more details from him. It looks like there has been some trip causalities due to weather already.

Reactions: John McKroid

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat Name
    Do kayaks count?
    You'll mostly be fishing for YT, halibut, Calico bass, sheepshead, and whitefish. I've been on 7 islander Kayak trips and every one was different. The YT in my avatar is a 32lber caught from San Clemente. I've never brought anything heavier than a 30/40lb outfit, but will still take 5 or 6 set-ups when I go again in July. 2 dedicated live bait trollers, 1 or 2 dropper loop or reverse dropper loop set-ups, 1 set-up to throw stuff into the boilers for calicos, 1 set-up for throwing surface irons or Madscads, and maybe another set-up for light line whitefish or sheepshead fishing.

After the first morning of fishing, kayaks are going to be strewn across the deck and up the sides of the boat, so fishing on the move my be tough.

Who knows, though. My last Islander mothership trip was back in 2017, right before the bluefin showed up.

Reactions: bellcon
    Upvote 0

HoJaf

May 31, 2022
    Latham
    Name
    Jaffrey Holeme
    Boat Name
    Moomba Makai 2021
    My family and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks in New Zealand's North Island, traversing 2500km on road and much more by air.
    Those of you who follow Kiwi fishing shows like Big Angry Fish will be aware of its reputation for Snapper and Kingfish, which I discovered when researching a prior visit. Rob Fort of Coromandel Kayak Adventures, who offers guided kayak fishing and runs a specialty kayak fishing store/kayak hire business, as well as making films and writing for Kiwi fishing magazines. If you have your own kayak, you may also require a vehicle rack. If so, check here.
    Rob's business is a few kilometers outside of Coromandel, and it's easy to overlook with the kayak and paddler on the pole.
    We called in so I could pick up some soft plastics and reserve a kayak for the next day. With my usual great timing, I arrived during the busiest time of year, and Rob was flat work putting hiring kayaks into trailers to be shipped to various tourist destinations.
    The kayak I rented, a Prowler Ultra 4.3, comes fully equipped with a fish finder, rod holders, an anchor trolley, a PFD, dry pants if desired, and a sea anchor.
    On our first excursion, we caught and released around 20 snappers.

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
    Bay Area
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
    My family and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks in New Zealand's North Island, traversing 2500km on road and much more by air.
    Those of you who follow Kiwi fishing shows like Big Angry Fish will be aware of its reputation for Snapper and Kingfish, which I discovered when researching a prior visit. Rob Fort of Coromandel Kayak Adventures, who offers guided kayak fishing and runs a specialty kayak fishing store/kayak hire business, as well as making films and writing for Kiwi fishing magazines. If you have your own kayak, you may also require a vehicle rack. If so, check here.
    Rob's business is a few kilometers outside of Coromandel, and it's easy to overlook with the kayak and paddler on the pole.
    We called in so I could pick up some soft plastics and reserve a kayak for the next day. With my usual great timing, I arrived during the busiest time of year, and Rob was flat work putting hiring kayaks into trailers to be shipped to various tourist destinations.
    The kayak I rented, a Prowler Ultra 4.3, comes fully equipped with a fish finder, rod holders, an anchor trolley, a PFD, dry pants if desired, and a sea anchor.
    On our first excursion, we caught and released around 20 snappers.
    I'm not sure if you are shilling for the New Zealand commerce bureau, the guide service, the racks or the kayak brand. Regardless, seems like this would have been better as its own thread.

Reactions: inthelip
    Upvote 0

fin_chaser

Apr 13, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Craig Simes
    Going on a kayak mothership trip on the Islander later this month for my first time doing such a trip.

I am debating what set ups to bring. Part of me thinks I should bring everything including my heavy tuna gear and heavy knife jigs jigs just in case, but part of me thinks I should probably just bring the stuff I’ll actually use kayak fishing, especially since I’ll be lugging a lot of kayaking gear and the kayak and not just the fishing stuff.

I have two nice saltwater spinning setups, an old original Penn Fierce combo, and a newer Penn Fierce III combo, both have the largest size 8000 spinning reel, and both I just freshly spooled with 40lb mono.

Earlier this year I caught a 38.5lb gilled and gutted bluefin tuna on the Penn Defiance III while fishing from a sportboat when it was filled with 30lb mono, so I feel confident it could handle a similar sized yellowtail from the yak no problem.

Should I maybe just bring those two rods/reels and a tackle box along with the kayak and kayak stuff?

Do any of you know what the chance of doing some bigger tuna fishing is? If I bring a conventional trolling rod would I be able to troll from the Islander when it’s motoring?

The other set ups that I could bring are a light Penn Defiance conventional set up spooled with 20lb flourocarbon, a Penn Special Senator/Slammer rod spooled with 60lb mono(trolling and dropper loop/bottom fishing), and a Penn VISX 12 spooled with 80lb braid and an 80lb mono top shot paired with a Carnage rod(heavy jigging/sinker rigs for bigger fish than what normally would be expected to encounter nearshore).
    Are you on the trip departing 6/30? I’m on that trip. I’m pretty much bringing only calico bass gear and I mostly only fish the weedless swimbaits for calicos. I am going to bring a surface iron setup with my as well.

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    Are you on the trip departing 6/30? I’m on that trip. I’m pretty much bringing only calico bass gear and I mostly only fish the weedless swimbaits for calicos. I am going to bring a surface iron setup with my as well.
    Hello, I’m not on your trip unfortunately but I appreciate the advice, I’ll be bringing similar to what you wrote.

Upvote 0

Ja7935

Ballerz
  • May 14, 2012
    Carlsbad
    Name
    JimA
    Boat Name
    nope
    Thanks for the tips, (I'm on the 6/30 trip too, San Clemente Island, Not New Zealand?). One more question, does anyone bring kill bags or is the skiff readily available should I hook a nice one?

Upvote 0

fin_chaser

Apr 13, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Craig Simes
    Thanks for the tips, (I'm on the 6/30 trip too, San Clemente Island, Not New Zealand?). One more question, does anyone bring kill bags or is the skiff readily available should I hook a nice one?
    Haha yeah I’m not going to New Zealand either…but maybe one day. The skiff is usually readily available. Just call out for it on the radio and they’ll zip right over to you

Reactions: Ja7935
    Upvote 0

solid72

"Fishhard"
  • Aug 27, 2010
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    None
    A coworker went back in 2019 I think it was and the yackers got a surprise showing. The Islander landed a 140. 6 of the kayakers that made the paddle from the island to the fish all hooked up. Some had a short fight others were on for hours. This fellow lost his pretty quick

Attachments

• 97C94D6D-2D41-4D8A-88B4-878536AFAB0D.MOV
      8.1 MB · Views: 0
    • 9406EEA0-B800-4B7A-AE67-CE3DC1B8B898.MOV
      9.4 MB · Views: 0
    Reactions: John McKroid
    Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    How was the trip?

I'm heading out on Wednesday's trip.
    It was fun but I personally was poorly prepared For kayak fishing on the ocean for two days back to back.

I also had hurt my back lifting weights about a week before the trip, and partway through the first day my back was really aching From kayaking in an area where the ocean waves were pretty big and choppy. So I came in early and just fished the rest of the first day from the Islander, got some short bass and barracuda that was fun.

the worst mistake I made was not leashing my rods to the kayak.

the morning of the second day my back felt better and so when we stopped I think near Pyramid Cove and a kelp bed I just paddled over to the kelp, tied up to it, and had fun catching a lot of calicos and cuda with various lures, occasionally letting the wind drift me to a different part of the big kelp bed, with just a little paddling in the calm water by the kelp bed, and retying to kelp to fish a new spot.

saw lots of wildlife around the kelp including shrimp and a sea turtle.

On the afternoon on the second day the boat moved to a part of the island with big cliffs and a steep drop off so I was slow trolling a Rapala XRap 20 in mackerel pattern in the hopes of getting a yellowtail While heading towards where the mothership had moved to downcurrent.

well, a big fish starting towing me around, but when I got it to color and realized it was a shark, probably a blue shark about as big as my leg, I wasn’t sure what to do because the cheap bass pro shop floating pliers with line cutter I had brought had broke earlier that day just trying to take a treble hook out of a calico, I accidentally left my little knife on the mothership, and I did not want to bring the shark onto the kayak, and so I was debating about biting the line with my teeth to cut it when the shark, that was then perpendicular to my kayak, began thrashing and pulling really hard and the line suddenly snapped and with the sudden release of force that had been pulling me to my left, I flipped over to the right.

as soon as I suddenly found myself immersed in the cold water and thinking there’s probably a pissed off shark right by me I had no more thoughts, just instinctively went under the kayak, pushed it right side up and struggled my XXL arse onto it ASAP.

both of the fishing rods with reels I brought with me, a Penn Defiance 30 combo, and a Penn Fierce combo, are now at the bottom of the ocean along with a tackle tray full of some nice lures.

once the adrenaline wore off I just felt really dissapointed in myself for failing to leash the rods to the kayak, and making sure I had something to cut line with me. I went back onto the Islander and crawled into my bunk to just rest until dinner.

im going back to only taking short kayak fishing trips in calm freshwater for the foreseeable future.

but as long as you are prepared you should have a great time as long as the wind doesn’t cancel. I saw on another thread today someone recently saw the Islander with kayaks off he coast of Catalina because San Clemente was apparently too windy.

Upvote 0

7emptsT

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 23, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tyson
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    Thanks for the report. I found if it’s not leashed it’s gone. 20 year ago lost a spear gun …….

Upvote 0