Service, work, repair, bait tank, trailer etc.

gbills

Nov 15, 2014
Venice
Name
Greg
Boat
trophy 2002
I have a 20' walkaround that I'm looking to make some repairs/improvements to while I recover from surgery over the next couple months. The boat is dry docked in Marina Del Rey and my general question is if there is a shop (that is relatively close) that can do all of what I'm trying to accomplish. Or do I need to bring the boat to several shops to get it done. The boat is relatively inexpensive and I'm not looking to pour a bunch more $$ into it, but I want to do a few things to really make it perfect (for me). I have been taking it to Regency for regular 100hr service fyi, but they are always busy and I'm not sure are best to do what I've listed below.

1. Trailer work. needs new brakes, lights, rollers, and possibly swap out some of the non galvanized stuff. I've been told it would cost around 1-1.5k
2. Bait tank swap or fix. I installed an oval 30 gal bait tank (promar style fiberglass) that I made a custom starboard lid for. the problem is it doesn't seal very well and there's no lip like on other models so water sloshes out easily. I need to create an internal lip or swap the tank (which I'm willing to do), but i want it done by professionals.
3. Reinstall passenger seat. I had the seat removed for the tank, and now need to reinstall it.
4. Engine service (100hr) - happy to take it to regency, they have been good to me (but I'm curious how you guys think they are on cost and quality)
5. Radar arch with rocket launchers. Looking to have something like this
http://www.fishonsports.com/140-visor-combo.html installed or a new one fabricated depending on price.
6. Full wash, wax, detail. (looking for advice on a mobile person that is priced fairly for the future)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've only been a boat owner for a couple years and still learning as I go.

Thanks BD

Upvote 0

gbills

Nov 15, 2014
Venice
Name
Greg
Boat
trophy 2002
I know this may be a long answer, if anyone has info they are willing to share it would be great. I'm happy to chat on the phone if you don't feel like writing stuff out. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Guess it would depend on what you budget is for each item. looks like your list is easily $5k plus or so especially with the radar arch and how fancy you want to get with it. Seem like a big list of improvements if you don't want to " pour a bunch of money into it" as you say.

Upvote 0

gbills

Nov 15, 2014
    Venice
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    trophy 2002
    excluding the service and wash/wax I was expecting to spend around 3,500. If i end up replacing the bait tank, then another 1k prob. but i think the current tank could work. one critical item is to have someone who really knows their stuff give me some advice on the tank situation.

I'm most interested who should do the arch and bait tank work.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Look around for lightly used or never installed arches on CL. We found one for our boat that had the exact measurements we wanted. It is a really high quality arch that was custom built for another boat but was never actually installed and looks brand new. Got it for $400 I think. You can install it yourself most the time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

gbills

Nov 15, 2014
    Venice
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    trophy 2002
    i've been looking on CL for a year, but there's not much up this way. I think i need to be browsing the SD CL.

Are there any independent fabricators that someone can recommend that could do an aluminum arch?

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Towerfab Tom does everything you are looking for. His shop is in Ontario. He built my tower.

Upvote 0