SERVICE ON THEIR REELS

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
When you have Avet service reels, what do they actually do? Do they replace bearings; clean the reels, put in new and updated parts, or what? If they put in new parts, is that an additional charge to the service price?
Is it any better to send the reels to Avet, or just have your local tackle shop service the reels? What would be the difference?
I live in Utah, so local tackle shop is out of the question, but I do
business with Squidco in San Diego (34 years and Joey was just a kid), and I trust them.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
From what I understand they will disassemble, clean, replace any worn or defective parts and make sure if is running well. If they replace parts they do not charge more for the servicing but do charge reasonable prices for the parts and in most cases return the old parts with the reel. Just so you can see what they look like.

Shipping both ways will likely be one of is not the biggest cost item. So shipping multiple reels in one box can save you some money.

There are several very good YouTube videos showing how to service these reels if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

LesNessman

Nov 28, 2019
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
None
I'm marginally handy with a screwdriver, and have cleaned & lubed my single speed 5.8 MXL. 2 speed reels are probably more difficult, but the single speeds are pretty straightforward. If it just seems to need a clean and lube, I agree with the suggestion to check out some tutorials and give it a shot.

Upvote 0

Artic Traveler

Grouper Grabber, Snapper Snatcher, and Tuna Tugger
Nov 25, 2011
Spring Hill, Florida / USA
Name
Mack
Boat
Traveler
I've been very happy with Avet service. They have disassembled, cleaned, and replaced parts all for service fee. Last time (JX Raptor) they replaced my bearings, and sent the old ones back with the serviced reel. Best, most prompt service I've gotten from any manufacturer! I don't know about upgraded parts. I'm not aware that they need any, or any are available. Stainless Steel bearings would be nice, I guess. Probably would still go bad without frequent servicing. I will definately continue to send my Avets back to them

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I've been very happy with Avet service. They have disassembled, cleaned, and replaced parts all for service fee. Last time (JX Raptor) they replaced my bearings, and sent the old ones back with the serviced reel. Best, most prompt service I've gotten from any manufacturer! I don't know about upgraded parts. I'm not aware that they need any, or any are available. Stainless Steel bearings would be nice, I guess. Probably would still go bad without frequent servicing. I will definately continue to send my Avets back to them
Replacement of the bearings was included in your regular service fee?
What did it cost you?

Upvote 0