Shimano Service and upgrade torium20

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
Recently pulled in a #58 bluefin with my torium20. It was loaded with straight #30 Izorline mono,took almost an hour. During the fight, both deckhands noticed something sounded wrong with my reel. First , 30 minutes in, when at the bow with no one else around, I cranked a half-turn at a time, deckhand says "whats that?" As he places his ear to the reel. He then says " I think your gears are going/gone". I'm thinking great after 30 minutes of ass kicking, my reel is gonna crap out. Second deckhand comes by shortly after and does the same thing ,puts ear to reel and says"dude your gears are shot, your gonna have to rebuild this thing". After all said and done i brought the fish on board , which is all that mattered. The reel did it's job and I couldn't be happier with my torium. I'm now looking at picking up a talica II as I can't see going with anything other than shimano. In the meantime I want to get this one fixed. After downloading reel repair PDF from shimano I'm ready to ship it off. Do I provide packaging for its return along with prepaid shipping for that, or do I just ship reel in a disposable box with double shipping price to pay for its return shipping cost? I'm confused about this part? Also any advice on upgrading this reel after its return would be great. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Recently pulled in a #58 bluefin with my torium20. It was loaded with straight #30 Izorline mono,took almost an hour. During the fight, both deckhands noticed something sounded wrong with my reel. First , 30 minutes in, when at the bow with no one else around, I cranked a half-turn at a time, deckhand says "whats that?" As he places his ear to the reel. He then says " I think your gears are going/gone". I'm thinking great after 30 minutes of ass kicking, my reel is gonna crap out. Second deckhand comes by shortly after and does the same thing ,puts ear to reel and says"dude your gears are shot, your gonna have to rebuild this thing". After all said and done i brought the fish on board , which is all that mattered. The reel did it's job and I couldn't be happier with my torium. I'm now looking at picking up a talica II as I can't see going with anything other than shimano. In the meantime I want to get this one fixed. After downloading reel repair PDF from shimano I'm ready to ship it off. Do I provide packaging for its return along with prepaid shipping for that, or do I just ship reel in a disposable box with double shipping price to pay for its return shipping cost? I'm confused about this part? Also any advice on upgrading this reel after its return would be great. Thanks.
    Another option would be taking it to Dana Landing in SD and have Dougy fix it/upgrade it.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Last year or the year before the service center in Irvine would completely go through a torium for a flat fee of $30. They would replace any broken parts and the price of the parts was included in the $30 fee. I had 2 reels in for service but both times it was problems with the anti reverse. I would call the service center and see what they say. The turn around time was about 2 weeks back then. Not sure what it is now.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    So your reel broke, but you are so happy with the quality of your reel that you not only want to get it fixed, but you want to buy another reel made by the same manufacturer :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Please tell us what manufacturer has absolutely never had a failure in any one of their reels when over-stressed? Especially in graphite. At least the Toriums' frame/mounting bracket stayed in one piece. :D

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Please tell us what manufacturer has absolutely never had a failure in any one of their reels when over-stressed? Especially in graphite. At least the Toriums' frame/mounting bracket stayed in one piece. :D
    take it to ken's in ocean side' they will take care of you' my friend fishes with the Sea lines and had them blow up on bat ray's. shit happens' the thing is if they back there product the road down

Reactions: hawkplayer32
    Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    Over-stressed is a relative term. But a Torium 20 has the line capacity and drag capacity to easily bring in a 60lb bft. That being said, I caught a 60lb bft last year on my Saltist 40 and had NO issues. I have also caught over 15 25+lb YT on my Penn Squall 25n (a graphite reel) with NO issues. So there are two examples to counter your argument.

However I do agree that eventually all reels may fail, its recognizing those failures and avoiding them that really matters. And If you KNOW a reel has faulty gears then perhaps you should look at the gears and determine if they are likely to fail again. If they are, then buying a different reel may make more sense.

For instance, I have examined by Saltist inside and out and can tell you that it is possible that the anti-reverse dog may fail. I have chosen to accept this fact (as it happens very rarely) because for the cost of the reel I can accept a certain amount of flaws. But other than the anti-reverse the reel is very solid.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Over-stressed is a relative term. But a Torium 20 has the line capacity and drag capacity to easily bring in a 60lb bft. That being said, I caught a 60lb bft last year on my Saltist 40 and had NO issues. I have also caught over 15 25+lb YT on my Penn Squall 25n (a graphite reel) with NO issues. So there are two examples to counter your argument.

However I do agree that eventually all reels may fail, its recognizing those failures and avoiding them that really matters. And If you KNOW a reel has faulty gears then perhaps you should look at the gears and determine if they are likely to fail again. If they are, then buying a different reel may make more sense.

For instance, I have examined by Saltist inside and out and can tell you that it is possible that the anti-reverse dog may fail. I have chosen to accept this fact (as it happens very rarely) because for the cost of the reel I can accept a certain amount of flaws. But other than the anti-reverse the reel is very solid.

the age of any reel and how much it has been used are two more factors that are unknown for this specific torium20.
    if this reel was on its first outing, then you have a valid argument to switch. But my bet is that this one fish wasn't this Toriums' first rodeo. ;)

What rating would you honestly give your saltist 40? I rate my Torium 20s (or anyone elses Torium20) at a solid 30 and 40 if needed. Heck. a lot of folk fish it with 40# all day long. But that doesn't mean that it will like catching 40# all day long. I know that they can do more if they have to for one random fish. If a school of 50# fish shows up, my Toriums will get the day off.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

yoyoman

Almost A Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    Las Vegas Nv usa
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    17.5 Tracker Targa
    If 50 lb fish show up my Torium 20 will take a rest :). Yes I fish my Torium 20 on spectra 50 and topshot with 40lbs. They can handle it. I have upgraded mine with new dog, carbon fiber drag washers and grease and lube on a yearly basis using Alan Tani tutorials. Smooth operator and casts a mile. I will fish it up to 40lb fish mainly Yellow tail and yellowfin. When the bruiser 50lb fish show up I go for my Bigger guns.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    the age of any reel and how much it has been used are two more factors that are unknown for this specific torium20.
    if this reel was on its first outing, then you have a valid argument to switch. But my bet is that this one fish wasn't this Toriums' first rodeo. ;)

What rating would you honestly give your saltist 40? I rate my Torium 20s (or anyone elses Torium20) at a solid 30 and 40 if needed. Heck. a lot of folk fish it with 40# all day long. But that doesn't mean that it will like catching 40# all day long. I know that they can do more if they have to for one random fish. If a school of 50# fish shows up, my Toriums will get the day off.

I agree that the previous usage or age of your reel is a factor. However unlike you, I would feel comfortable using my reel all day on 50lb fish (I fish it with 30 and 40lb line and would use 50lb line as well.)

I spoke with the guys at Daiwa and they said I should have no problem catching fish well over 100lbs with that specific reel. Granted I have not tested their claims, I feel confident that they are correct based on my previous experience with the reel.

Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Someday
    I'm sending it in to Shimano. It never "broke" ,or at least never failed to do its job. Ive learned a valuable lesson here, in that I should have been on top of its maintenance. That being said, it was on plenty of fish before this #60 bluefin and it never failed. After 8 yrs. with zero maintenance and straight #30 mono on a decent tuna, yes I want to buy more of their product....When I call shimano tomorrow I'll be sure and ask if it can handle a #100 fish, if they say no,I'll switch to daiwa.

Reactions: mahyar
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I'm sending it in to Shimano. It never "broke" ,or at least never failed to do its job. Ive learned a valuable lesson here, in that I should have been on top of its maintenance. That being said, it was on plenty of fish before this #60 bluefin and it never failed. After 8 yrs. with zero maintenance and straight #30 mono on a decent tuna, yes I want to buy more of their product....When I call shimano tomorrow I'll be sure and ask if it can handle a #100 fish, if they say no,I'll switch to daiwa.
    buy a zebco.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Anybody that tells you that a reel similar to a Torium 20 is appropriate for a #100 tuna is a liar.
    I have a Torium 20 and a 16 and will buy more because they are damn good reels, especially for the $. But they are not meant for #100 tuna. The 6.2:1 gear ratio is your first clue.
    You used it for 8yrs with "zero maintenance" and zero failures including the #60 bft what more do you need to know.

Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Someday
    Anybody that tells you that a reel similar to a Torium 20 is appropriate for a #100 tuna is a liar.
    I have a Torium 20 and a 16 and will buy more because they are damn good reels, especially for the $. But they are not meant for #100 tuna. The 6.2:1 gear ratio is your first clue.
    You used it for 8yrs with "zero maintenance" and zero failures including the #60 bft what more do you need to know.
    I fully agree!
    I was just pulling daiwa guys chain.

Reactions: kimbo and jer dog
    Upvote 0

Yolo

Outcasts
    May 30, 2006
    San Diego
    www.sandiegofishingclub.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Relentless
    Yup...good comments here. Those Toriums are a nice product in their respective price range and good for up to 40 lb fish IMHO. I would certainly NOT use it on a dropper loop at Alijos for example. Maybe on patties for YT, Cedros on YT, offshore smaller schoolies, dorado...

For those bigger BFT (and as they are mixed in with small yellowfin) a lot of people are going to 2 speed reels with 30 and 40. I saw a bunch of reels get spooled on 30 offshore.

Lesson learned for you. From all my experience Shimano has always been stellar in their service. Just go on line or call, get a service ticket number and they can answer all your questions. You will not be disappointed. I have had them send me NIB reels instead of repairing mine and send parts at no cost to me.

Cannot say enough good things about that product and the company that backs it.

Just have to go to a higher grade reel for bigger, tougher fish. That is the second 60 lb class bluefine caught on a Torium 20 this year..

Now lets see a PIC!

congrads

m

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0