Seriola ensalada

sushimi

Mar 4, 2007
ORANGE
Name
Sam
Boat
Edgewater 185cc
Hey guys. Caught a yeller on a kelp patty going towards the East end yesterday. Saw many helps with none holding.. but when I saw that one with birds sitting on it.. I had to slowly motor near it... at the corner of mine eyes.. saw a greenish tinge and flashes of silver. It was a quick glance with mot much else on it but enough to give it a try. Threw some chum...and threw my bait and it was instant. The problem was... I was using 20# fluoro. It took forever to bring this guy in. But after about 12min or so that seemed like an eternity... I saw deep color and it was BIG. Finally got it to surface and my buddy missed the gaff ...and the yellow takes off and peels off line... gotta get him up again... comes up again.. now this time he is near my outboard...my buddy swings and misses him again... now the yeller is under the boat...and my line is right next to my motor... thank God I was using a long rod...stuck the whole rod in the water and guided the yellow to the starboard side. Finally got him up one more time and the beast was tired. He kinda floated in the water and my buddy slid the grim sickle right on the collar. The rest of the day was spent trying for more yellows at the east end... I think we got there too late and missed the bite although I saw some promising marks in the area. Also... finished out on limiting on nicer size reds and chuckles and a few sheephead. Get out there! Its happening!

IMG_4113.jpg

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn on way to Florida
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Nice fish anytime of the year. It was hard to read the end game. Glad it worked out in the end.

Reactions: sushimi
Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Sick haul biggest i've seen posted! Damn boat and truck gassed ready to go, but Im forced to go next week. Warm waters I am hoping is slowly drawing them in and the red tide dissipating.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Good job leveraging your pole around the stern for another shot with the gaff. That is a slug.

And here I thought you gave up fishing my friend.

I see sushi in your future sushimi.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
I called sushimi and got a first hand account of the event. This guy tells the best fish stories . . ever.

Thanks for the recipe, looks excellent! I'll use it . . . If I ever catch one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Nice one Sammy! Where’s your black baseball hat and Raybans ? :beerbang::lux::daman:

Sam is good at untangling. He untangled the one I’m holding in my Avatar after it wrapped the anchor rode.

Upvote 0