Don't play with the bait!
Dec 30, 2004
La Mesa
www.sdincomeproperties.com
Name
Keith
Boat
Captivator
Just found out today I have to drive up to Bakersfield from San Diego for a business meeting this Friday and figure... why not make a long weekend of it and check out Sequoia. It's only another 2 hours up the road and I've never been.

I'm familiar with the other side of the mountains, I've exited the 395 any where from Lone Pine all the way through Lee Vining. I even hiked about 15 miles of the John Muir trail from Mosquito Flats one summer.

I'm looking for campground and fishing suggestions. Especially any campground that is on a creek. Even better would be some place where a lake empties into a creek. Going to be solo car camping. It's a little late in the year for me to be backpacking more than a day trip.

Thanks

Reactions: repo805

Weberied556

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 10, 2017
California, West Covina
Name
Peter
Boat
If it floats around fish, take my money
Big meadows trail to either jennie or weaver lakes is an awesome place to catch trout. That place is stacked! They aren't very big but they will keep biting all day. Panther martins, rooster tails, any power bait work fine. Once the bite dies down, change bait/lure for a different presentation or move spots.

Jennie lakes is somewhat of a physically demanding hike, 7 miles if i remember correctly with a harsh climb up poop out pass, but once you make that peak its all down hill from there.

Weaver lakes is just as good fishing from my experience, jennie lakes just has less people as expected.

Neither of these are a drive to lake, you have to hike to get to either one of these lakes. But very worth it in my opinion, backpacking is also allowed and my preferred way of enjoying these lakes.

aguilarserrato

Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington, CA.
Name
Adalberto
Boat
N/A
North fork of kern river from lake Izabella. Several campgrounds and take your trout and several rooster tail to fish along the river. You will love it.

Reactions: pacificscout

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Kings canyon at cedar grove. Huge cg and it will be empty. Gorgeous, 3 hrs north hwy 180. Kern is good too. But not as busy. Bear and deer common. Rainbows and browns all natural. This is the kings river south fork. So it’s river fishing. Yosemite like.

Last edited:

pattyho

Don't play with the bait!
Dec 30, 2004
La Mesa
www.sdincomeproperties.com
Name
Keith
Boat
Captivator
Thanks for the suggestions. I leave first thing in the morning. The plan is to hike out to Weaver lake and primitive camp the first night, fish the morning then hike out and drive up to CG and set up a larger camp in a campground, fish the afternoon bite. Next day, fish/explore the CG area until lunch then head home. I'll take pics and post in a few days.

Reactions: Bigpondonly