Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP

tomahawk

Apr 9, 2015
Name
tom
Boat
none
Fished Stony Creek, Marble fork Kaweah River, and Kings River.
We stayed at Upper Stony Creek Campground, Monday to Saturday. It was cool weather with highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid 30s. I warmed up some TH/F into the 60s.
Stony Creek - Some stocked rainbows, a lot of small wild bows, and a several small brook trout. Got my fish brook ever. All caught on dry flies. Didn't seem to matter what fly. Had to be kind of sneaky.
Marble Fork Kaweah - Similar to Stony Creek, except we didn't get any brooks (maybe not in there).
Kings River - Windy as hell the day we went but temps were low 70s. The wind made it hard to fish. I got 2 nice browns, 10 and 12 inches, and lost to bigger fish. All on Dry Flies again. I really enjoyed the bigger fish and but the wind was pretty impossible. My wife did not enjoy this fishing at all because of the casting challenges. River was way to high to risk getting in at all, at least for me.

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
We usually make a day trip up to Garnet Dike area around late fall when water is more wadeable. We hike up about a mile or so and we get into some nice rainbows with EHC.

Upvote 0

tomahawk

Apr 9, 2015
Name
tom
Boat
none
We tried to head out that way last summer but the National Forest was closed due to fire danger and COVID. We got to Baileys Bridge plus a little on the south side of the river before the road was closed. Fished there for an hour or two for zip.
How is the road past the bridge? We drive a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 stock (no lift, no all terrains), with running boards.

Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
Well, we drive a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 stock (no life, no all terrain) with running boards and it's been up there a few times. Heck, we once drove my wife's Honda Accord across the bridge all the way to Garnet Dike. Yeah, road a little rough, but still made it. A couple of times we trailered our 25' camper up that road and camped. Yeah, it's not that bad. Rarely ever see another person once you hit that trailhead and it's wild trout, C&R area.

Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
This is my PB for the upper wild trout territory. About 22" on a size 22 zebra midge, on a 2 wt. Why a 2wt? Well, most wild trout we were catching in the past were around the 8"-10" range and we mostly sight fishing. This one took me to the backing.

garnet.jpg

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    I recently moved from Mariposa to Fresno. If either of you (or anyone else) would PM me, I'd like to talk about other places to Fly Fish nearby that might be fishable in hotter conditions. I stop fishing at 68F water temps. I have hit above Garnet Dike for 2 Rainbows to 10" and tried lower Dinkey above the powerhouse for a few Pike Minnows/Squawfish but the water got too warm for Trout before Noon.

Upvote 0

tomahawk

Apr 9, 2015
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    none
    Actually, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks are all still open. The National Forest around them is closed until the 17th. If one was to go to the area I fished, the Kings River and Marble Fork of the Kaweah would be open but the other places we fished (and the place we stayed) are closed. A friend went to the Marble Fork right before the shutdown, said there was really low flow right now. Hope it get some rain soon.

Upvote 0