Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
Heading up to WA from LA for a 2 day albie trip out of Westport. I'm told the boat provides tackle but thinking I'd still like to bring a couple of rods and reels. Question is which 2 would be best?

Thanks, Mick

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
You need to ask the Capt. Capts on some of the 10-12 passenger boats don’t allow braid. Our sept alberts commonly range 15-25# early, 20-30# late sept/oct. 30-45# are not common. Baits could be pinhead to 6” chovies.

Most of my bait sticks 7’, 15-40#. A couple 8’ in that weight class. Each with 30# braid to 30# fluoro/mono.

Might want to consider vertical jig sticks and long coating surface iron. Few boats are set up for artificial gear.

if you’re on any of the 6-pack boats, you’ll have up to date rods/reels, but still light on the iron.

Lastly, you’ll probably be colder and wetter than you expect. Dress accordingly.

BornToSnag

Jul 7, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
NR, Revenge, The Ghost
Heading up to WA from LA for a 2 day albie trip out of Westport. I'm told the boat provides tackle but thinking I'd still like to bring a couple of rods and reels. Question is which 2 would be best?

Thanks, Mick
I would suggest checking with the charter, if they run braid they will most likely want you to run same # rated test. We brought 30# on the boat before and the Charter rods were running 50#. Get into a twist situation with multiple fish on and fail to take your reel out of gear you will probably get your line cut off every time. 7' rod rated 15-40# is a good all around stick for Albies.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I would suggest checking with the charter, if they run braid they will most likely want you to run same # rated test. We brought 30# on the boat before and the Charter rods were running 50#. Get into a twist situation with multiple fish on and fail to take your reel out of gear you will probably get your line cut off every time. 7' rod rated 15-40# is a good all around stick for Albies.
The secret to albacore tangles is every one in the tangle STOP PULLING ON THE FISH. As a deck hand in the seventies with 20 fish in a tangle I had to turn to the adults and scream my fucking head off that the next guy I see pulling at all will get cut off now.
Then turned and one by one got them out of the tangles and had them run up the side to the bow before resumption of pulling...got them all out and a bunch of people learned a lesson. It helped that it was so bad they all knew it was hopeless unless they listened.
Once the pulling stopped those albacore were just swimming next to their buddies like they normally do all heading in the same direction so the tangle quit building. They behaved calmly and quit racing around like fish on a hook.
Taking your reel out of gear will get you some pissed off rail mates down in San Diego..one line running and the others stationary is like a band saw on a soft log

Upvote 0

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
Name
Cplug
Boat
II Sons
Bait is typically choive and they are dropping rather casting. So 20 on a 7ft stick good. Some action on 4” choive colored swim baits and occasionally Capt. May have couple of experienced jiggers try to raise a school on smaller pink purple flatfalls. Real game is trolling to
Find biting fish and hoping the school sticks with boat.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The secret to albacore tangles is every one in the tangle STOP PULLING ON THE FISH. As a deck hand in the seventies with 20 fish in a tangle I had to turn to the adults and scream my fucking head off that the next guy I see pulling at all will get cut off now.
    Then turned and one by one got them out of the tangles and had them run up the side to the bow before resumption of pulling...got them all out and a bunch of people learned a lesson. It helped that it was so bad they all knew it was hopeless unless they listened.
    Once the pulling stopped those albacore were just swimming next to their buddies like they normally do all heading in the same direction so the tangle quit building. They behaved calmly and quit racing around like fish on a hook.
    Taking your reel out of gear will get you some pissed off rail mates down in San Diego..one line running and the others stationary is like a band saw on a soft log
    Some people don't listen and deserve to have someone back off their drag to saw him/her off until they learn, If they don't listen to the crew etc, They deserve it. I can back off my drag and still have a good bend in the rod and cut someone off next to me and they would have no clue why they just lost their fish!!

Mkc_crites

mkc_me
    Sep 30, 2007
    San Diego/Channel Islands Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    27' Express Cruiser

Thanks, Mick
    We went out yesterday 7/30/21 on a 6 pack (All Rivers and Saltwater Charters) was told that the Albacore dipped out couple days ago 40 miles out and nobody is going out 40 miles to find them because it is blown out. Ended up going 10 miles out, and south of the Columbia River for Salmon. We limited out fairly quick with with 3 large Chinook Salmon 19lbs, 18lbs and 17lbs, and the rest were Coho Salmon all around 5-7lbs Bumpy ride back up

Upvote 0

steve67

Jun 4, 2017
    Marysville, WA
    Name
    steve richard
    Boat
    none

Thanks, Mick
    Agree with Cplug. Been fishing Albacore up here for 30 years after having moved up from SoCal after college in the 60's. First trip I brought 5-6 outfits, everything from 20-60# plus a couple of trolling rods. Stopped using braid many years ago, no reason to use it since the vast majority of the fish are 15-25#. Now all I take is 20# mono on one of my classic Sabre 196-7 rods, and either a Newall 220-5 or the small Avet jr. The bait is all small anchovies, #4 or (maybe) #2 hooks at the largest. Check with the boat, but I know the boat I fish (Ms Magoo) banned braid a number of years ago. Have fun, I've been on boats that we plugged with 200+ fish for 10-guys on the first day and headed home early. Lots of tuna "novices" up here, so keep a smile, give the newbies a word of encouragement now and then, and have fun.

Reactions: B24Smith
    Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Live bait is in supposedly short supply this year at Westport. All the feed in the Harbor the wrong stuff, herring, candlefish or whatever, not chovies. I've heard what bait they're getting is coming from the Columbia or maybe the Willapa. Hopefully this changes as things heat up or we'll have to learn Oregon techniques which could be fun in it's own right.

I've heard a couple of the larger charters have canceled one or two upcoming trips due to not much in the way of fish yet. In theory things will heat up soon....in theory.

Reactions: Dave's Delta
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    Some people don't listen and deserve to have someone back off their drag to saw him/her off until they learn, If they don't listen to the crew etc, They deserve it. I can back off my drag and still have a good bend in the rod and cut someone off next to me and they would have no clue why they just lost their fish!!
    If I saw a customer do that and it was my boat you'd be on bunk lock down and banned.

Are you a democrat?

Reactions: Beached

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Name
    Joe Ski
    Boat
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    Been on lots of offshore trips and never saw ANY deckhand clear a 20 fish tangle. LMFAO.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    Been on lots of offshore trips and never saw ANY deckhand clear a 20 fish tangle. LMFAO.
    Every bait that hit the water was bit...we used to take 65 people on the malihini in those days...4 to 6 fish and a loose line or 4 tangle was on every stop.