September 14, 2012 Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii. The fishing this summer was not the same as last year. There were fewer blue marlin around this summer but other pelagic species filled the void. The ono bite was red hot at times and the buoys held some mahis and tunas.

Although the blue marlin were not numerous, they definitely showed up intermittently. The bite would be good for a few days and then the marlin would seemingly disappear for a little bit. There were some blue marlin caught and many people went home with fish stories.
    [​IMG]
    This fish was aggressive, taking down a monster bait on the short corner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This blue marlin hit a Coggin lure in shallow water off the coast of Maui.
    [​IMG]
    Hunter decided to release his approximately 100 lb blue marlin.
    [​IMG]
    These anglers caught a nice shortbill spearfish and also released a blue marlin estimated at 150 lbs. Another angler onboard tagged and released a 250 lb blue marlin. All three billfish were hooked in the vicinity of K buoy.
    [​IMG]

There was a consistent tuna bite on the 1000 fathom ledge. Ahi were caught at the buoys behind Kahoolawe and Lanai as well as on the troll. Catching the bigger tunas wasn't always easy. Some obstacles included crowded buoys, traveling long distances, pilot whales, sharks, wind, waves, and very strong fish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These yellowfin tuna came up behind Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    These lucky anglers caught some quality mahis at a buoy and then hooked their nice tuna in the blind.

Not all of the tunas were in the 100 lb range. There were smaller shibis hanging around the buoys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve caught his shibi on a Marlinstar Tunahawk. For a 7-inch bait, the Tunahawk creates quite a commotion in the pattern.
    [​IMG]
    These enthusiasts came all the way from the Czech Republic. They pulled hooks on a shortbill spearfish at leader.

Start Me Up's early departure trip starts fishing at a buoy, often resulting in mahis.
    [​IMG]
    The mahis haven't been big lately, but there are a couple of quality fish in this stringer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Platts are repeat anglers. This catch was a good one, but their best is a 774 lb blue marlin.

The ladies don't always come fishing. They should, however, because having lady luck on the boat usually helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These mahis were caught around a piece of floating debris along with a shark.
    [​IMG]

When the weather is nice, many boats fish along the coast of Molokai just in case the ono bite is on.
    [​IMG]
    This stringer of onos, 14 pieces in all, was spread out along the north shore of Molokai.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fishing with kids is a lot of fun because of their excitement. Even a small fish will produce a big smile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking a look at this Start Me Up fishing report. If there are any questions, feel free to contact Deli in Start Me Up’s Lahaina Harbor booth at 808-667-7879 or [email protected]. Until the next report, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    That Tunahawk looks pretty wild!

3. TrixKelly

TrixKelly Rancho relaxo Tuna killa

Name:
    CK
    Boat:
    Not gonna do it
    Nice picks, I fished with ACTION (Jukea, and Ryan) on the Sept 12 and all we get was too small skipjacks, and a big skunk. Be back next year.

4. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    I remember that trip. It was surprising because those buoys had been holding some bigeye tuna. Next time...

Jonny

5. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Good job Hunter for the catch and release of your blue marlin. Wish more would do that especially in Hawaiian waters.