Selling your catch

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by clubhunter, Jun 18, 2011.

1. conchydong

conchydong Untitled

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Rock Bottom
  2. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    """Fish stacked like cordwood at the landings is already bringing the wrong attention. More to come all to soon. Hopefully the guy with just enough for himself and stories of the ones he let go will becone the one to envy. Not the guy with a pile far beyond what he can use....just for his ego.""""

Well said.

3. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    This is a topic that's always been in the back of my mind when I see guys who go on long-range trips every few months and, being good fishermen, must bring in several thousand pounds of meat each year. Based on what I'm reading here I'll assume the best and guess that they donate a lot. I go once a year, have beginner skills, and have trouble eating my catch in a year (but, boy do I love it!). I use this hobby to help me get my protein and drop my LDL level, and it's working well.

Nice to see Sarah chime in on this thread, too.

4. Ono Wrangler

Ono Wrangler Newbie

Name:
    Ono Wrangler
    Boat:
    Kauai Kai
    Yes. I agree. All this fish is being consumed. I just went to the Fisherman's Processing website and in their testimonial area was a big "thank you" from a church, I think it was the Somoa Church in Oceanside, that was very appreciative for the fish they received.

5. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    Yea ? What about your mercury levels ? How is that doing ?

6. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Fine since I stopped getting flu shots. Actual studies based on real tuna in the Pacific are pretty promising regarding this. One of the leading researchers is a few miles down the road from here at UC Davis. I meant to post some of her studies here actually. I'll have to look those up again and put em up. Thanks for reminding me.

I know a fair amount about mercury poisoning. My son suffered from mercury poisoning when he was an infant. It wasn't from fish. We chelated the Hg and he's much improved.

7. carcass

carcass Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    None
    I did my first 15 day trip a couple years ago with a friend. We brought back a buttload of tuna and wahoo. We gave some away, and ate a lot of it. Several people were not wealthy byt any stretch and it helped them a great deal. We also did the 2 day trips as well and got more. My physicals do not show any increase of heavy metals. My cholesterol was great as well as other bloodwork.

With that said, I will probably do a bit more catch and release or donate. If someone wants to bring back buttloads of fish that is within the legal limits and does not waste it, then what is the problem? If people were wasting a lot of what they catch then yes, I would be against a large haul.

8. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Im lucky if I make it too the ocean once a year and I bring all the tuna I catch back to Colorado. Probably 40% ends up going to friends and fam. I eat the rest. Very little ends up freezer burned or unedible from time. If it does I find other uses for the bad meat. Ive always wondered where some of the masses of traded tuna ends up. The law of averages would say somebody out there is backdooring this for big money to a sushi place but who knows for sure. I do find it interesting if a commercial fisherman has a problem with donations or canning etc and encourages catch and release when his profession is catch and sell LOL. who knows maybe just irony in my own world. All I know is Im just happy to have services dockside such as fivestar when I live so far away. And sometimes I wish it was legal to sell a fish or two to help pay some bills at home. Who knows what the tuna in my avatar would have fetched at an auction. Probably would have been able to pay off my boat!:rofl: