paul cr

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 4, 2007
Yuba City, ca
Name
Paul
Boat
RP
Going to be selling all my longrange equipment. Since I live in norcal I am not sure the best way to go about it. I know when I buy something I like to see it first. Right now I am compiling a list of the reels and theres at least 20 2 speeds from a Penn 80n to a Penn12. Also I have over 40 custom Calstars, mostly grafighters.
So please, give me all your ideas.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Throw them up on BD's first. Post with pictures if possible. BD's has a far flung circulation. I have just sold some reels to folks in New York. Price them fair and they should go fairly quickly. Although this economy has had some impact on folks' available funds. You can always go to e-bay at any time.

bobsled

Consumer
May 31, 2012
Los Angeles area
Name
Robert
Boat
N/A
Thats what I think I will do but how do I secure payment.
Paypal and if you don't do PP then USPS money orders. Local pick up with COD always works.

Just be honest in your descriptions with pics and you shouldn't have a problem selling your gear.

Good luck!!

makohunterz

I'm that one guy
Jul 18, 2008
hemet
Name
markis
Boat
eventually gonna get one named "MakoHunterz"
paypal that way both parties are covered, and post on bd first cause itll get bought up quick on here

lasparky11

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
I have sold a bunch of stuff here on BD. I use PayPal, create an invoice sent it to them get your money. Local pickup & cash always work. Never had a problem with anyone from NY to Calif.

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
If you do a gift via PayPal, they don't charge an extra fee, but you are not protected if anything goes wrong with the transaction. Might be better to negotiate that into the price of the item for your (and the buyer's) protection. EBAY will charge you a percentage of whatever you sell, so you might want to try here first. Besides, this is a targeted audience!
Maybe I have been lucky, but so far I have had nothing but smooth-sailing transactions with other BD'ers buying and selling stuff.
Post as many photos as you can. The reels are relatively easy to ship. Rods...not as easy but I had an 8' rod shipped to me from Missouri for about $20 in a hardened cardboard cylinder. Worked perfectly! I don't know where you'd find something like that...maybe Uhaul or UPS store? Or find some business that ships long, skinny items and just tosses the containers when they are done!
Good luck!

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
I've gone thru and thinned the inventory a couple times from up here so here's what I've learned.

Paypal- safe secure fast, yes you pay a little fee but the peace of mind is worth it. When someone tells me "I don't use paypal because I've had problems", it's a big red flag, there are going to be "issues".

Listing- use BD first. Photos, a very clear description with details galore. Don't put up 25 items at once, keep it simple, put up 5, get the hang of how this plays out, then put up 5 more, etc.

Shipping- USPS flat rate boxes, insured, delivery confirmation, for the heavy stuff. Buy a big roll of bubble wrap! Don't try to gouge on shipping, but cover your costs fairly. Offer free pickup in NorCal (hint, I'm in Sac and there are alot more of us up here than I thought.) I use pvc tubes and caps from home depot for rods. Tape don't glue the caps on, again USPS insured, deliv conf and lots of bubble wrap.

Pricing- Use the ebay 'completed listings' for what reels have sold for, but be aware that your stuff has a very small target market and the ebay numbers may be off, both high or low. Put what you think is fair, and don't take the first lowball offer. You can always re-list it or lower the price later.

Good luck, be patient!

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Like Jim said, there are more than a few of us lurking around close by, and hand to hand is always a good way to go. Also, if you are looking for something special, you might be able to work out a trade.

Good luck!

Jim

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
If anyone buys something in Socal, I can act as a delivery boy. I am in the bay area 2x per week so I can act as a mule to cut shipping costs!

paul cr

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 4, 2007
Yuba City, ca
Name
Paul
Boat
RP
Thank you all for your ideas. I think sactotuna is right to post 5 or so items at a time. I have a list of most of the 2 speed reels and have spent most of today writing down the rods. next will be doing some research on what to price everything. Please if anyone wants to know fast, please give me a call at (530)
674-3939.
Thanks again,
Paul

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
If you do a gift via PayPal, they don't charge an extra fee, but you are not protected if anything goes wrong with the transaction. Might be better to negotiate that into the price of the item for your (and the buyer's) protection. EBAY will charge you a percentage of whatever you sell, so you might want to try here first. Besides, this is a targeted audience!
Maybe I have been lucky, but so far I have had nothing but smooth-sailing transactions with other BD'ers buying and selling stuff.
Post as many photos as you can. The reels are relatively easy to ship. Rods...not as easy but I had an 8' rod shipped to me from Missouri for about $20 in a hardened cardboard cylinder. Worked perfectly! I don't know where you'd find something like that...maybe Uhaul or UPS store? Or find some business that ships long, skinny items and just tosses the containers when they are done!
Good luck!
I have had bad results after many successful shipping of rods in cardboard tubes the attached photo shows what can happen. You can clearly see the damage. This was a custom wraped rod. Use PVC.............Mike

Attachments

ilvyft

Captain
Feb 12, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Name
YFTLVR
Boat
salty two
Hit up a few tackle stores for there rod tubes they get their rods in. Another cardboard rod tube source are carpet stores. PVC pipe can also work well. USPS Flat rate boxes are a good choice most of the time for reels. Get yourself a roll of Bubble-Wrap. If you are shipping a single reel, then get a small box for it and ship it USPS Priority Mail AND print the label yourself at USPS site (which is less cost than the flat rate boxes) and has FREE delivery confirmation thrown in. Do I get first choice? GOOD LUCK

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music
for rods...I get radio antenna shipping tubes from West Marine and other places that sell radio equipment.

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
paypal that way both parties are covered, and post on bd first cause itll get bought up quick on here
PAY PAL SUCKS! BOTH PARTIES ARE NOT! NOT COVERED!
Paypal ONLY protects the buyer and that is it.

I sold an Antique Lure collection last November for $4,000.00 and the VERY DAY the guy got it, he did a charge back. he got the lures, he got the money and paypal backed him even when my Lawyer recited in writing " CASE AND STATE LAW " they said to bad, sue us.

Cashier's checks, personal checks, and ONLY United States Post Office Money orders.

Paypal gets their " Bulk Fees " from the sellers so they never bite the hand that feeds them.

Here. There is an entire functioning site dedicated to the abuses of paypal and their " NON Protection of the sellers. Period. http://www.paypalsucks.com/

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
Oh and I ship guns, ammunition, fishing gear, treestands, etc. all over the Nation, every day.
I am a credit card merchant myself and this buyer I sold to on E-Bay said, he would " ONLY " use pay pal so I agreed. I paid dearly for this. I loist my collection and the $4,000.00
In 10 years of Businesses, that is the only loss that I ever suffered from a credit card payment. I should have know when he refused to use my Gun Store and would only use Paypal. Oh well, live and learn huh.

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
Oh and I ship guns, ammunition, fishing gear, treestands, etc. all over the Nation, every day.
I am a credit card merchant myself and this buyer I sold to on E-Bay said, he would " ONLY " use pay pal so I agreed. I paid dearly for this. I loist my collection and the $4,000.00
In 10 years of Businesses, that is the only loss that I ever suffered from a credit card payment. I should have know when he refused to use my Gun Store and would only use Paypal. Oh well, live and learn huh.
Sorry to hear that. Some folks just don't give a rats ass.