Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Circumstances got the best of me last August and I had to let go of my 24' fixer to pay some bills. I hadn't worked on it yet but she was a 85 trophy ht with a Volvo 280. Needed some engine/OD work and some trailer work too blah blah. I thought it had great potential for my limited budget because it had a Raytheon FF and apelco radar for around 4k. It was silver slayers family somehow and I haven't seen the seller yet to tell him the bad news so don't tell SS. I had even considered the bracket option but after reading that it would require extensive transom work (not from this site) I thought that maybe picking up another boat with an offshore bracket might be wiser when I could afford it.

Anyways, I think I could clear up some funds in the 4-10k price range and would love to hear any feedback from you folks who have been a great knowledge resource for the past 1 1/2 years. I have always been a boat owner and I am motivated to fix almost anything if I can reap the benefits of my labor. Ideally, I'm looking for something large enough to take my GF and up to 5 kids out for local fish/crab. However, heavier emphasis on me getting buds out to swiftsure and tuna as well haha.

I currently have a 15' arima and I am leaning more towards sticking with an OB. What I am not particularly fond of though is that older OB boats don't have that straight transom (ugly motor well transom) or even a transom at an even height across the back. That's why I considered the bracket project on the trophy. I could have turned the motor area into a large fish box with a new deck lid that resulted in a flat dance floor.

In hindsight I should have asked for ideas when I had the trophy but now I would appreciate any ideas or potential candidates for my next project. I do have a painted steel 24' tandem axle trailer to get a hull back to the shop as well.

My apologies in advance if I get lots of feedback and figure out that my funding prevents any purchases. I haven't stopped dreaming about my next boat since selling the trophy.

cheers :hali_olutta:

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
Craigslist skagit county had a very nice 21' glasply looked mint for 2000 and would be a great family boat. Sought after per say but would need updating. Interior was ghetto green

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_kk6or5Ty2VM_600x450.jpg

Any thoughts on something like this for 2500? Is this worth closing in the back with a bracket? Yes it is a thicker transom meant to bear the weight of an OB but a bracket adds a couple of feet to the designed moment of the hull. How much work really would need to be done to add in a margin of safety? Some say that the boat would sit wrong in the water if a bracket is added. I don't know if i believe that if a floatation bracket is used (just go the full width of the boat with float bracket to get more displacement = more level). Or should I just live with the open ass end and hang a motor on something like this and forget about it?

Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Actually that looks like a very thin transom and very low. Slap a bracket on that and it might snap off. youd have to beef that way up. Not worth the work for that hull imo, buy one designed for the configuration you're looking for.

dukeofwsu

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 22, 2011
Vashon
Name
Duke
Boat
Which one?
My Glasply 2280 might fit the fam, it's been casually for sale for a year or so, but it doesn't make any sense for me to have it anymore. I bought a big boat and a little boat, so the Glasply sat last year out.

It's a 78, new FI Kodiak 350 in 2011, new alpha leg in 07, needs a shine, but I'll sell it for the price of the motor alone if you're serious.

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Yes I would definitely consider a mid engine. Hopefully less of a project than spokaloo though. Impressive work with the glass on his behalf. Are there any trailerable mids out there to search for besides a uni? I am also interested in taking a look at that glasply. They look plenty seaworthy (duke pm sent).

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
I would forget that trophy. My friend had one and the transom was so low it took water in fishing sekiu. he tried to sell it for a year or more and finally took the motor off gave away the boat. The guy who took it fishes the Chehalis river with it and loves it, but You couldn't pay me to take it fishing at Westport. I think that was bayliners worse design

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Agreed, I found one locally on a whim saturday while looking at some other boats and that cutout has got to be damn close to the waterline. Thanks for the input. Older boats can be downright scary, my buddy picked up a 24' reinell and I brought it here. That ONE little soft spot in the floor turned into us ripping out the whole interior. Floor and stringers were all shot. Couldn't muster up the ambition to repair that POS so it got crunched with my excavator and loaded up into the dumptruck. I still have the straight 6 and stringer OD sitting on that trailer out back. So I'm kind of leary about older boats and plywood. Even my 81 arima has ply under the deck (arima claims that for the first 3 years) and its floor is soft. Don at defiance was an arima engineer and he said dont worry about it. He also gave me a few options for repair if I really wanted to work on it too - super nice guy. So the search continues.