jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
The loss of being able to trade giant yellowfin and bluefin for delicious white albacore cans was devastating….nobody can afford to process all that with these fish processing plants
Yep the world is going to end soon,
If I were you I would sell all your fishing gear, Now before the bottom falls out,
On it.

Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat Name
    Do kayaks count?
    With the loss of Guadalupe…..Cedros….Clarion… Socorro….etc along with all the best fishing grounds closed in California waters....the disappearance of the albacore…..skyrocketing prices for licensing…permits…fuel surcharges…..nose bleed tackle and gear prices….the new parking lot highway robbery….not to mention most of the trips to Hurricane and Allijos Rocks are shark feeding frenzies…and you know the climate change enviros are coming back for those motors…no sir if long range Sportfishing was a stock you would call your broker and sell as fast as possible….this son of a bitch is headed for the bottom boys..the top is in!
    You should cry about it on the internet!

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Chelsea Rae
    Man o man....if this isn't a case of chicken little and the sky is falling then I'm missing something. Have certain destination areas been closed or have had restrictions placed on them?....Yes to a degree. Are there still fish in the ocean ?....Yes. Are the locations you mentioned the only places to fish ?....NO

The San Diego fleet is like any other industry in as much as it operates on a perfect zero market profit or as it's called...market equilibrium. If there is profit to be made then more boats will come into the market ( New Boats ) and if the market is over saturated then boats will leave the market and if the balance of supply and demand are perfect then the market remains stable regardless of restrictions/closures. Given the demand is there (Sold out Schedules), if one understood basic Econ 101 then the fleet will continue to fish and fisherman will still fill the boats. It's all about the "Invisible Hand" and self correcting markets....Adam Smith had it right

I would be more concerned if the boats in the San Diego Fleet started to disappear because the demand (Fisherman) will spike as the supply (Boats) dwindles and that hasn't really happened yet en masse.

Relax and go fishing and don't sweat the small stuff and by the way....It's all small stuff.

Be sure to take a moment on this Holiday Weekend and be respectful to those who can't fish with us

Upvote 0
    Nov 17, 2011
    USA
    Name
    Crow
    Boat Name
    dont have one
    Man o man....if this isn't a case of chicken little and the sky is falling then I'm missing something. Have certain destination areas been closed or have had restrictions placed on them?....Yes to a degree. Are there still fish in the ocean ?....Yes. Are the locations you mentioned the only places to fish ?....NO

The San Diego fleet is like any other industry in as much as it operates on a perfect zero market profit or as it's called...market equilibrium. If there is profit to be made then more boats will come into the market ( New Boats ) and if the market is over saturated then boats will leave the market and if the balance of supply and demand are perfect then the market remains stable regardless of restrictions/closures. Given the demand is there (Sold out Schedules), if one understood basic Econ 101 then the fleet will continue to fish and fisherman will still fill the boats. It's all about the "Invisible Hand" and self correcting markets....Adam Smith had it right

I would be more concerned if the boats in the San Diego Fleet started to disappear because the demand (Fisherman) will spike as the supply (Boats) dwindles and that hasn't really happened yet en masse.

Relax and go fishing and don't sweat the small stuff and by the way....It's all small stuff.

Be sure to take a moment on this Holiday Weekend and be respectful to those who can't fish with us
    If you don’t think destination areas and location matters when you go fishing I really dont know what to say

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    I am still fishing 80-100 days a year. Leaving Friday on a 8 day and taking a guy as my guest that has autism. Just got a fishing report and it's very good fishing where we are going. Yellowtail in the mid 35-45 LB range. I will take that any day. The extra add on's ....... gas surcharge and permits I get and I am happy to pay.... Check in it's $1,000 for the 2 of us.... yep I will still fish... I have a love for the ocean.

Upvote 0
    Nov 17, 2011
    USA
    Name
    Crow
    Boat Name
    dont have one
    I am still fishing 80-100 days a year. Leaving Friday on a 8 day and taking a guy as my guest that has autism. Just got a fishing report and it's very good fishing where we are going. Yellowtail in the mid 35-45 LB range. I will take that any day. The extra add on's ....... gas surcharge and permits I get and I am happy to pay.... Check in it's $1,000 for the 2 of us.... yep I will still fish... I have a love for the ocean.
    Soda you’re a great guy…but you’re also rich and retired……the backbone of the industry is the average working man and he’s gonna find something else to do because of costs and fishing conditions

Upvote 0

bob_marlin

Almost A Member
  • Apr 23, 2022
    chula vista
    Name
    bob marlin
    Boat Name
    Mikelson 43’

are you related to corn pop ?

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat Name
    MALAKAS
    I think they are only posting sold out dates for next year to show that it's chartered and date is taken
    Open party

Screenshot_20220529-072501_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    This is the Vagabond’s schedule and though posted its a bit misleading if you don’t know what’s going on. The trips are posted but won’t be opened up for booking until the previous year’s trip is completed. Most if not all the boats offer a rebooking to their customers as a thank you as well as building a loyal following. These trips will open up and if you watch you’ll find one that fits your desire.
    Yes, it is getting tougher for a working stiff to take a multi day trip. It’s a stretch for me now and though I may be pushed out of taking the trips I want to, I will shift gears and make the adjustments to stay on the water.

Upvote 0

thinman

Nov 12, 2017
    usa
    Name
    steve
    Boat Name
    no boat
    Started fishing long range trips 15 days and longer in 1989. Have been on 35 plus trips and was fortunate enough to have been able to fish all the Revillagigedo Island chain. Had some great trips and some really bad ones, that's fishing . The problem now is that all we have left is Hurricane bank , lower banks and the buffer zone . Hurricane bank was on fire for a number of years after the islands closed but now it is pretty much infested with sharks and smaller grade fish. The lower banks and the buffer zone are iffy at best. When all is said and done I usually end up spending 9 - 10 grand per trip. If you like catching sharks , wahoo and smaller tuna then I guess its worth it. For me its just not worth it anymore. Until the Captains start exploring other areas to fish ( and I'm sure there are other places that we could fish for trophy yellowfin ) then it just doesn't make sense continuing to fish the longer trips. I know a couple of the boats have tried other areas to fish and have had limited success but they always go back to Hurricane bank. Hopefully something changes , but it does look like the longer trips are in trouble of dying off.

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Chelsea Rae
    If you don’t think destination areas and location matters when you go fishing I really dont know what to say
    It's evident you have a comprehension problem with the English language so I will dumb it down for you....the only location I expect to fish is the Pacific Ocean and there is only one steering wheel on the boat so where the captain goes is where I fish. You make it sound like end of the world real wrath of god type stuff.
    Relax and go fishing....it's a big ocean

Upvote 0
    Nov 17, 2011
    USA
    Name
    Crow
    Boat Name
    dont have one
    Started fishing long range trips 15 days and longer in 1989. Have been on 35 plus trips and was fortunate enough to have been able to fish all the Revillagigedo Island chain. Had some great trips and some really bad ones, that's fishing . The problem now is that all we have left is Hurricane bank , lower banks and the buffer zone . Hurricane bank was on fire for a number of years after the islands closed but now it is pretty much infested with sharks and smaller grade fish. The lower banks and the buffer zone are iffy at best. When all is said and done I usually end up spending 9 - 10 grand per trip. If you like catching sharks , wahoo and smaller tuna then I guess its worth it. For me its just not worth it anymore. Until the Captains start exploring other areas to fish ( and I'm sure there are other places that we could fish for trophy yellowfin ) then it just doesn't make sense continuing to fish the longer trips. I know a couple of the boats have tried other areas to fish and have had limited success but they always go back to Hurricane bank. Hopefully something changes , but it does look like the longer trips are in trouble of dying off.
    Excellent post loaded with truth from a real long ranger thank you

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.