njoyflyfishing

Well-Known "Member"
May 3, 2016
Diamond Bar, CA
Name
Nathan
Boat
16' Slideright
All this talk of Yakatat has me thinking of the many years ago I was there. Wish I could make it back. We went there for silvers in September. The silvers there are pretty big. Steelhead in April. Garage door sized halibut. The Situk, the bay, the northern lights, and bears the size of a van at the dump. Not to mention the bears that decide your fish is theirs on the river. Also, the massive sand beaches with no people.

Thanks for the memories.

Reactions: ripped

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
It’s a pretty special place.

Don’t forget the moose, deer, wild berries, Glacier, dolly’s In the Situk, reds, trout, etc...

rrenick65

May 23, 2010
Kodiak, AK
Name
Ross
Boat
20' trophy
I am planning on going to SE Alaska in early May.

This would be a 5-day long self-guided trip, staying at an airbnb and renting a boat to go fishing.

I know its rather early in the season but the targets are: kings, halibut, lings, rockfish, crabs and shrimp. I do not have much experience fishing AK, but plenty in Socal. Would like to stay in a small town w/o too many people, and good nature scenery.

Where are some locations I should consider going to?
Currently Petersburg, AK is pulling me but not much info about fishing their exists on the web.
Check out Craig and Haines if you are committed to SE, just other options, Petersburg/Wrangell is a great area to fish as well. If you check into Craig, you can get on the outdoorline.com and message rob endsley, he guides in the Craig area and is a great source of information and might be able to point you in the right direction for the accommodations you are looking for.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
King fishing can be pretty good that time of year, Halibut fishing is stupid awesome. I have never had a tough day of big halibut fishing there yet. My wife had 4 over 100 last year in 3 hours. all on artificials and all in less than 100 feet of water. Lots of big ling and RF as by catch. I got a ling that was 60.4 pounds last year.

Great eating there, but cha Ching on that freight bill!

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Great eating there said:
Its amazing what a box ling and RF fillets will get you when you give it to the gals checking you in at the Alaska Airlines shanty in Yakutat...

Every time we go we take at least 6 boxes up with us filled with misc fresh produce, flour, sugar, tortillas, avocados and lemons from the yard for Mark. the first afternoon we spend chamber sealing everything and filling his freezer. We box all the rods into 2 boxes and then tape them together so they count as 1 piece of luggage, a suitcase with boots, rain gear, and miscellaneous tackle.

Ive never sent a single thing home as freight, its always gone as luggage. as long as you keep the boxes under 50 pounds, tip well, bring a box of fish for the Airport folks, show up early, and be a nice person, it donesn't cost shit....