Seiners Unbelievably Suck! Exotics was Great

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by gregd, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
  2. wfdavies

wfdavies Newbie

Name:
    wm
    Boat:
    fisheyed
    Are you trolling or are you really that much of a fucktard??

3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I don't think the American commercial fleet has as large of an effect as people think. Both in catch count and in economic gain. Sport fishing brings in more money in the US than commercial fishing. Which is why our commercial fleets are gone and being replaced by party boats and environmentalists. Mexico is a different story. But that's politics and there's not much we can do when it's their water and their fish.

Don't kill each other over what is, in the end, not in our control. That includes both Pacific bluefin, who are born in East Asia, and Pacific yellowfin, who are born in South America. Only the guys in those areas can control what happens to them, and we can only hope they make the best choices for the world.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    fishfish likes this.
  4. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    I find it very interesting to see support for purse seining of game fish among the recreational fishing industry. And yet, there is, even if it's entirely illogical to all of our interests as sport fishermen. There is no way forward politically by aligning our interests. And screw the nostalgia "my family has been purse seining for decades, blah blah blah" "honest living feeding my family" etc etc etc

Pure and simple guys: Sport fishing is a superior utilization of the resource in every way, especially in the economics of money invested into the industry per pound of fish.

Think if there was still commercial harvesting of land animals like deer, bison, or antelope? Would you all approve?. A few big corporations taking the biggest share of the animals at the expense of the individual who invests hundreds if not thousands of dollars for every animal taken. Where the corporate seiners selling each fish for a few bucks a pound. Absolutely wasteful.

Remember how the Bluefin Tuna limit went to two fish last year? DIRECT EXAMPLE of recreational getting F**CKED over because of this large scale commercial exploitation.

DO NOT support them. That goes for the US Seining fleet, too. When they aren't splicing and dicing our local YFT schools, they are wrapping up thousands of tons of our local forage fish (anchovies) so they can reduce it to chicken feed for their own profits.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    you had me until chicken feed...eat any eggs or Kentucky Fried Chicken? That one is on all of us...

6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    The problem as I see it is that until we find a way to farm fish efficiently, you can't avoid commercial fishing, because the public demands fish to eat, and I'm not sure I'd rather the entire public was out there on their own boats.

Commercial fishing has its place within the current market and well managed commercial fishing doesn't necessarily destroy the population. Sure, every fish they catch is one less fish for us, but we can't think that way or else we'd turn on each other soon enough.

7. Gmoney!

Gmoney! Eat Chicken, not Marlin:)

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    nope
    Seiners catching fish legally, I have no issue with... Even if I disagree with the quotas allowed.

However in Mexico quotas and rules are often broken. We have seen seiners at the Rock and Banco which are supposed to be off limits.

As a result, you now have to travel 80-100 miles to get to the tres Maria's in order to get to the big fish, they disappeared from rock and Banco... I'm sure they will be back eventually but I'm sure seiners will too.

Make your money but do it legally.

As for marijuana man, that logic was way off. Marijuana is a commodity that can be replenished. Bluefin tuna population has been decimated and just now starting to make a come back. We should take some advice from our Canadian and Atlantic Ocean counterparts on how to manage these fish.

fishfish likes this.
  8. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    MAJOR: "What do you think about so many Purse Seiners Gunny"????

GUNNY HIGHWAY: "The last Purse Seiner I met at Ocean's Eleven in O'side
    wacked me in the melon with her purse and stole my pickup. I avoid them now"LOL

GunnyHighway.jpg

9. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage

8============D -- semensteamin

In your eye azzhat!

KEVJRA likes this.
  10. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Quit wasting your time repyling on this board, and go hang with the rapist clan. Face it truth you and most of the seiners rape the ocean and hope they don't get caught.

11. Steamin' Seaman

Steamin' Seaman Newbie

Name:
    Steamin' Seaman
    Boat:
    Ramrod
    Where in the fuck do you guys think your bait comes from??? Maybe you should make your own bait if seiners are so bad you donkeys!!!

titos334 likes this.
  12. cj5orion

cj5orion Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja

Name:
    Bert
    Boat:
    gone baja
    GO BACK TO ALASKA !!!!!

caballo del mar likes this.
  13. yo-mama

yo-mama Member

Name:
    ja
    Boat:
    magic
  14. Turkey Slayer

Turkey Slayer Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Waiting for my boat to come in
    No wonder the world's Bluefin population is almost wiped out!! It is near collapse!!

15. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    My statement about growing marijuana was meant to sound ignorant, ridiculous and way off. Glad it was perceived that way.

caballo del mar and Rabid Fish like this.
  16. Black-is-Back

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    You just bit the short Corner hard.

100 pound string to boot.

Hookup! :jig: LOL

17. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    These are good points, but the I have problems reconciling it insuch black and white terms. Yes, in our opinion sportfishing is a superior utilization of the resource. But what about the private boaters that don't like sport boats "decimating" the bass population in the kelp beds every summer? Or what about the dive companies that don't want boats fishing their prime dive spots? Or what about the people with ocean front homes that don't like watching boats clutter their million dollar views?
    While some of these may seem ridiculously selfish, all of those people feel as strongly about their opinion as we do about ours. So we need to be careful about the precedents we legally set because the next right we lose might be ours.
    If there is a silver lining, it's that the us has very strict regulations regarding commercial fishing based on maintaining sustainable fish stocks. The proof that these regulations are working is that overall (even without considering the last two stellar seasons) fishing is as good or better than it was 20 years ago.

18. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    what was ignorant, ridiculous, or way off about it?
    maybe a wee bit over the top.
    maybe a wee bit off topic.
    but definitely not "way off".

caballo del mar likes this.
  19. Black-is-Back

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    This is by far the most logical statement in this thread. Thank you for saying exactly what most of us are thinking.

Any time you introduce commercialization and the greed that comes with it into harvesting a natural resource, the outcome is never good.

20. Black-is-Back

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    Damn it Bill, you are right. I'm not thinking straight this morning.

I just haven't had my wake and bake session yet this morning. :Smoke_Emoticon: LOL

Paddyman1 and wils like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.