Seeker WHITE rod blanks. Anybody wrapped a white blank?.

The American Tackle Company

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I was in my local tackle stop, and Steve showed me some stand up tuna rod blanks by seeker that were all white. I have seen white rods (freshwater) before, but never a seeker tuna blank, and two of the blanks had -prototype- written on them. Not sure if that prototype label was in relation to the white, or just a new model(s) seeker. He seemed pretty excited about them...

I could only imagine the color contrasts you could get on a white blank, that's why I wanted to ask if anyone has wrapped a white blank before. Really interested in the way wraps would pop in contrast to the white blank, and not the boring black wrap on a white blank that most off the rack freshwater white rods have done.

They only had about six or eight blanks and didn't even try to sell me on one, or mention pricing; showed me some other things he was trying to sell me...I'm pretty sure they wanted to save the white seeker tuna blanks for themselves or their best customers.

So, has anybody wrapped an all white blank with some color, not the plain and simple idea of black? Could you post pics if possible?

Thanks, Scott.

Epp

Feb 19, 2011
Santee, CA
Name
Eric
Boat
none
i did one with a purple white and a few blue marbling with black guides wraps and it pops but i would think any bright colors would stand out very good
eric

Blender02

Almost A Member
Jun 5, 2004
San Marcos, Ca
Name
Paul
Boat
N/A
Wrapped a few white blanks years ago for all of the private boat guys. Many colors look great on them but they start to look really bad IMO when the flexcoat starts to yellow. And, I don't care what type of finish you use, it will start to yellow.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Wrapped a few white blanks years ago for all of the private boat guys. Many colors look great on them but they start to look really bad IMO when the flexcoat starts to yellow. And, I don't care what type of finish you use, it will start to yellow.

My experience with white too. Good - colors really pop Bad - finish yellows and looks bad against the still white blank (you don't notice it on the wrappings).

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I see what you are saying about the possible discoloring, but do you not think Seeker would have possibly fixed the problem of fading/yellowing through the production process. I have not been around long enough to experience a white rod discoloring; just saying, I hope they would have worked out such an issue in the development stages. Seems like the white would make some nice custom rods, with all the color contrast possibilities.

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
I see what you are saying about the possible discoloring, but do you not think Seeker would have possibly fixed the problem of fading/yellowing through the production process. I have not been around long enough to experience a white rod discoloring; just saying, I hope they would have worked out such an issue in the development stages. Seems like the white would make some nice custom rods, with all the color contrast possibilities.

What the guys above were mentioning is the "finish" (i.e flexcoat, D2, etc) that are used to coat the wraps will yellow over time, not the resin that is used when rolling the blank. The finish extends past the wraps and sits on a pure white background, so if the finish yellows faster than the blank you might end up with some difference in color. Not sure how big of a deal this is, or if the blank might yellow at the same rate. I'm sure the guys at seeker have done their homework.

flamekeeper

1-SOZO
May 5, 2007
Oldham Co, Ky
Name
Kenneth Price
Boat
CatCaller 15'6" TideCraft.
I've never seen a white blank yellow,, I've seen cheap finish yellow, I have been using FlexCoat UV ever since they introduced it, Pretty nice finish IMHO and never seen one yellow yet...

fishinfanatic

Nov 5, 2008
Lomita
Name
Ryan
Boat
Boston whaler 210 outrage “Lomita Special”
We have three white seeker TNT blanks left.. one blank and two with handle kits on them already. The blank by itself is $125 and the two with handle kits are $150 each!