Seeker TSF60XXH or Calstar 760H blank recomendation

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, Jun 20, 2018.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    So, it started here, with the idea of building a budget trolling rod
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...glass-blank-for-a-budget-trolling-rod.691089/

Now, I have a friend that is willing to sell me one beast of a rod for that purpose so, no a budget blank anymore, but I need some help to decide which would work best for me.

my friend have some Tuna blanks that probably wont be build anytime soon, so, he is letting chose one for 1/2 price of retail.
    the blanks in comparo are Seeker TSF-60XXH and Calstar GF760H, specs in both look similar (some websites rate the 760H as 120lb and some others as a 130lb)
    already found out that that Seeker blank is glass rod blend with "Boro" (?) so, this might be more flexible and Calstar Graphiter is composite of graphite and glass, so it might be bit stiffer, but I dont have the oportunity to check them in person.

my intended purpose for those blanks is to build a rail rod for trolling on a panga on Gonzaga bay or BOLA for YT and Cabrilla groupers on the range of 20-40 lb the average, but this rod will also be used for bait fishing sharks and big gulf groupers on the range of 60-100lb average.
    the reels that might be paired with the choosen blank are an AlanTani tricked out sealine 900h (35#-40# drag) and a Mak15 depending on my mood to carry a bigazz reel or a smaller one with ton of drag.

so, which blank would you guys choose and why? (Im still learning about quality blanks)

attaching a picture of a nice sized average leopard grouper and also a pic of a trophy gulf grouper (I still havent caught one of those yet)

20171126_131131_001.jpg 22405932_1886270628055184_4653504975392657939_n.jpg

2. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    calstar tried and true

3. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17

4. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Either will work in your application. Time to make your own choices (and mistakes) Alex.

5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Too hard to pick. Generally the Calstar is faster, but I’ve never seen the faster seekers before. I think Bill is spot on, either will work just fine. Pick one, build it and kill something big with it!

6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    LOL, yep, I was thinking that at the end I will chose one of those blanks tossing a coin hahaha, both of them have good comments everywhere.

for some reason I think the Calstar Grafigther will work better in the long run if I want to change the Sealine 900h reel for a mak16 or 20 someday.
    ooh well..

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless

sooo, life, work and vacation had put my build on hold for few months, but things have settle down again and Im getting ready to build me a standup panga rod with any of those blanks, the good news is that since I couldnt ever made my mind on which blank to get I ended up getting both blanks (Im a tacke Ho, I know ).

I found a similar thread with the same question
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...b84xh-vs-rctb66h-for-large-model-tuna.657076/

seems that I wasnt that bad on my perception of the action of the rod, seeker seems more forgiving to the angler with the softer tip and Calstar feels faster in action, more sensitive and with stronger recoil, so, now I have two new projects to build to my personal arsenal :-):-), two different beast that might be a bit overkill for the common fisheries on the north sea of cortez but there are some zones where you dont know that might bite at the end of you line, just like pictures on my 1st post, so, better be prepared than sorry.

hopefully I will be showing you my first ever rod build from the scratch pretty soon.

first one will be Seeker TSF-60XXH, next a rainshadow RCJB-84XH and last Casltar 760H

PS: does anyone knows where I can buy or get a factory sticker logo of the Calstar rods?
    a guy from Seeker rods was kind enough to send me two Seeker logo stickers for my blank but I didnt had the same luck with the guys of Calstar

8. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    I'd have bought both too Alex.

It's going to be a custom rod - you don't get paid to advertise for the manufacturer, so why put their name on it? Get a custom decal with your name on it instead.

Looking forward to seeing what you make.

SouthBayKiller and cmepen like this.
  9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks Bill, you know? you're right! thats a different way to see it but I concur, no need for the factory stickers, I will just put the name of the blank and specs with really small letters and my name with bigger lettering, I actually do those name decals myself, so, its already covered.

this is part of my custom decals and lettering

20180505_110425 ss.jpg 20180505_110447 ss.jpg 20180628_153046 ss.jpg 20180906_080250 ss.jpg 20180826_203821 ss.jpg

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  10. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    I think I'll start ordering mine from you Alex.

steelfish and SouthBayKiller like this.