Islands Seeing Red! - Coronados 8/30/21 - Rockfish tips too!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Decided to take a break from offshore fishing to chase yellows and cod with the boys. Plan was for an easy, beer laden Sunday at the islands and surrounding waters.

Mission accomplished.

Started off fishing for cod. Tried some shallow stuff a friend gave me in 100-150# for just a couple short lings. After some slow action in the shallows we decided to move out to some of my numbers in 250'.

A slow pick but quality fish for sure. We had slayed them on this spot just a week ago with a buddy and his kids.

Just as we were wrapping up our 2nd drift, I noticed the meter was lit up with the right marks (more on that later).

I had the guys drop back down and it was game on. Three solid hours of 2-6 pound reds and chuckles. Non stop doubles and slow pitch fish. The quality was just amazing with everyone yelling and laughing and having a blast.

1630335723951.png

I was trying out the new Gulp 8" grups they just released. These things are the ticket! They are so big that the small fish don't really mess with them but the big guys love them. We fished them on 8oz lead heads on the slow pitch gear (PENN Long Pitch Rod and Fathom 400 for me) and also on double dropper loops. They were deadly!

1630335808811.png

This photo makes the bait look small, but trust me, it's yuuuuuuuuuge.

1630335761126.png

1630335855686.png

1630335911005.png

1630335940371.png

1630335970240.png

***ROCKFISH TIPS****

#1 - Find your own spots - We are fishing crazy close to the islands on spots guys must run over all the time. Where there is one spot, there's probably 5 more close by. In this case, one of our stock spots wasn't biting. We drifted off it a ways, and noticed a lit up meter. Started dropping and it was game on. We also started drifting away from this spot and found two more areas of biting, big fish. Also, mark new rocks and spots while you're traveling. Just watch your meter when you're running around in 150-400' of water. You'll find gems for sure. Get out and explore.

#2 - Rockfish MOVE a lot - We were always told that rockfish "sit" on the same rock for their entire life. This is 100% NOT true. If your first couple spots you try don't bite, keep checking other spots. The fish follow the bait and will move all around a zone. This is why it's important to have a couple of dozen spots. If you follow rule 1, you'll have a hundred spots in just a couple years.

#3 - Ignore the junk - By junk, I mean tons of cloudy marks on your sounder. If I see big clouds of junk (aka small bait or fish), I might make a drop to try it quickly or just move on. Zoom your meter in on high frequency and really look at the bottom. IF you see fish arches and little bait, this is where you want to fish.

#4 - Use big baits and hooks - Our go to is a large sardine/small mackeral or whole squid on a 7/0 mustad demon circle with 2x wire. We put bait on one hook and a 6" or 8" gulp Grub on the other. The gulp will not get "stolen" and you know you're always in the game.

#5 - Switch your baits up - While we always have a Gulp on the line, we change up the other baits. They seem to like differnt baits at different times or spots. We like big sardines, small/medium mackeral, whole squid or rockfish strip baits.

After wrapping up an epic day of cod fishing, we slid into the Coronados and fished yellows for an hour or so. We went 0/3 bites before the sealions wouldn't allow us to fish. We all agreed we'd caught enough and headed for the barn.

By then it was blowing 15 kts steady and sloppy. We chugged our way back with plenty of time for dinner with family.

All in All a great day.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    WOW...Nice load of Reds on the Big Gulp!! I'd say Successful!!
    Great Report/pics/info.
    What a haul of fish! Taco time!! LOL

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Damn you guys killed it Ali! Thanks for sharing the tips. HUB baits also work well in replace of the gulp, just make sure to hit them with some scent.

Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    Nice work rock star,
    I like that rock cod reel you got, which one is that? I need to replace a LEXA 400 that I gave away, that one looks like about the same size to me.

Upvote 0

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    25' Farallon Pilothouse
    Good job on the nice cod catches. I'll take codding any day. That leadhead grub should also kill the lings without many rock snags.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Yale
    Boat
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Sounds like a good day to me but what do I know.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Nice work rock star,
    I like that rock cod reel you got, which one is that? I need to replace a LEXA 400 that I gave away, that one looks like about the same size to me.
    Fathom Low Pro 400

Great quality!!
    Where did you find the jig heads?

They are leadmasters from Dana Langin. I got 4, 8 and 12 oz. The 8 worked perfect.

Reactions: Ryan_J
    Upvote 0