phud

East Coaster - Learning Left Coast
Feb 11, 2015
Embarcadero Marina, Dana Point
Name
Paul Hudrick
Boat
23 Walkaround
Went out for the second time on Sunday and decided to try a little structure and kelp bed fishing. While livelining a sardine on the edge of a kep bed, I hooked into something large . . . fought for about 15 minutes until he bit me off. I think it was a shark because of the way he was swimming back and forth during the fight and not straight out.

Moved down to one of the artificial reefs off Pendleton - there were marks from top to bottom on the sonar. Caught about 30 calico bass with 2 being keepers until a seal came up and wouldn't leave me alone. He even went so far as to jump up onto the back of my boat. I think I'm going to really enjoy it out here, it's just gonna take me time to develop my own marks and structure that isn't fished quite as much. I think this weekend I'm heading out for some rockfish. Not sure where to try yet, but I'll figure it out.

Saw some larger marks down in box canyon about half way up the water column, I'm assuming these could be yellowtale so I tried yoyoing for a bit without any success.

Wish me luck as I figure this new ocean out!!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Went out for the second time on Sunday and decided to try a little structure and kelp bed fishing. While livelining a sardine on the edge of a kep bed, I hooked into something large . . . fought for about 15 minutes until he bit me off. I think it was a shark because of the way he was swimming back and forth during the fight and not straight out.

Moved down to one of the artificial reefs off Pendleton - there were marks from top to bottom on the sonar. Caught about 30 calico bass with 2 being keepers until a seal came up and wouldn't leave me alone. He even went so far as to jump up onto the back of my boat. I think I'm going to really enjoy it out here, it's just gonna take me time to develop my own marks and structure that isn't fished quite as much. I think this weekend I'm heading out for some rockfish. Not sure where to try yet, but I'll figure it out.

Saw some larger marks down in box canyon about half way up the water column, I'm assuming these could be yellowtale so I tried yoyoing for a bit without any success.

Wish me luck as I figure this new ocean out!!
be carful the more you go ' the more you want to go

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Those mystery fish never seem to want to get close enough to the boat to ID. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to us. Ahh the wonderful mysteries of the Pacific.....

Nice report.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2008
In the boat/in the blind
Name
Bill
Boat
18' westcoaster SOLD
sounds like you are catching on fast. I fish a ton around the dana area if you need any help let me know. there is some stones off dana but box canyon is your best bet for rockfish. if your out of oside you can head south to la jolla or del mar area.

Reactions: caballo del mar
Upvote 0

Vsanchez949

Jul 27, 2014
OC
Name
Victor
Boat
One day
Thanks for the report! I'm new as well, I've been fishing a lot out of Dana on my father in laws boat. Are there restricted areas around Pendleton? Do the artificial reefs fall in those restricted areas?

Upvote 0

phud

Feb 11, 2015
Name
Paul Hudrick
Boat
23 Walkaround
Thanks for the report! I'm new as well, I've been fishing a lot out of Dana on my father in laws boat. Are there restricted areas around Pendleton? Do the artificial reefs fall in those restricted areas?
From what I can ascertain . . . I don't believe so. I'm still a little confused myself, but I think you're OK there.

Upvote 0

Pizzica

Almost A Member
May 24, 2009
oceanside,ca
Name
joe
Boat
19' SEAPRO
No restricted areas around Pendelton,but gotta be 3 miles out from Leaucadia Blvd south to Del Mar!!Don't know exact co-ordinates but should be in your CFG Booklet or go on line!!

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Nice report, Paul! This a good example of viable post with detail, whether you hooked the big yellowtail or not. Bait used, location, sonar activity, catch. Take notes, greenhorns!

Paul - I used to keep a sling-shot on board to take care of the aggressive dogs. You don't need a permit to fire a few rocks at a dog. It worked for me when only dealing with one or two dogs.

Upvote 0

phud

Feb 11, 2015
Name
Paul Hudrick
Boat
23 Walkaround
Think I might mess around for a bit on sand dabs this weekend (I love the taste of flatfish). What's a good general location - it seems like sandy bottom - is there any preferred depth and/or area?

Upvote 0

kevin.st

Ice cream extraordinaire
May 10, 2014
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
kevin.st
Boat
none
Nice report, Paul! This a good example of viable post with detail, whether you hooked the big yellowtail or not. Bait used, location, sonar activity, catch. Take notes, greenhorns!

Paul - I used to keep a sling-shot on board to take care of the aggressive dogs. You don't need a permit to fire a few rocks at a dog. It worked for me when only dealing with one or two dogs.

Sling shot. Hadn't thought about that.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Sling shot. Hadn't thought about that.
Yeah a pebble to the head or body is relatively humane just to keep them at bay and make them go elsewhere. When they jump on the swim deck, which I've seen, it can be a little intimidating.

Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
Thanks for the report.

I second the sling shot... they know it by sight so make sure to get your shot off quick to be more effective...

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
That's awesome!!! Keep at it and you'll be a pro in no time. Wait till the summer season hits and the tuna show up!

Upvote 0