Second dove opener

Discussion in 'Winged Hunting Reports' started by B4GREYLIGHT, Nov 10, 2013.

1. B4GREYLIGHT

B4GREYLIGHT Newbie

Name:
    STEVE RICHARDSON
    Boat:
    YAK
    I went on my first hunting trip ever for second dove opener in Imperial valley. Also this is the first time shooting a shit gun at moving target. My coworker/hunting buddy said we would learn on the fly. We started out in his normal spots for a whole lot of nothing even his secret spot. Move to walking the fields for pheasants or dove. My buddy spot a running bird and I move to flank and got the bird to flush. Shoulder the gun take a pull the trigger for nothing ( forgot to take off the safety) click the safety and fire for a miss. Man was the heart pumping and the hook was firmly implanted. My buddy got a flush couple hours later and bird down. What a beautiful animal. Another hour or so later I spot on another bird and the chase was on. I got that bird to flush and didn't forget the safety this time. Three shots for thee misses. Well the hook is still implanted just need to learn to shoot before my next hunt for quail in a couple of weeks.I can't believe I waited this long to try this. The thrill of the hunt is just as good as the kill. Talk with others out that had their limits for pheasants. The only dove we saw were sitting on private property and maybe saw 5 all day.

2. short-range

short-range Independence

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Independence
    Thanks for the report and you'll get the hang of it just some time :-)

3. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I hunt all the time for dove and quail....25 years. It still happens every trip.

Keep it up, its a great sport and a good excuse to go exploring...

4. eddier68

eddier68 Member

Name:
    Eddie R.
    Boat:
    fish n dive/mini x
    Thanks for the report! I hunted Calipatria in the a.m. and El Centro area in the p.m. SLOW day!!!! total for me was 3 mourning doves. Only Euros spotted was in DT El Centro.

5. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    most of us use a shot gun....hope this helps.....those shit guns make a mess

6. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Also it's easier to shoot a shotgun forwards instead of the other one behind the back.