Seasport owners....

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by OuterWaters, Jan 13, 2015.

1. the_kirkwood

the_kirkwood Newbie

Name:
    Iain kirkwood
    Boat:
    Seasport explorer
    I've only had boat for a year. Always been slow to get on plane since I've had it. Had solas A3 equivalent props on there and now I have volvo stainless C3's on there. Not much difference between the two on acceleration. Always slow from 2400 rpm until turbo kicks in.
    Just totally rebuilt racor turbine 500, not just filter change. Think it was 10 or 20 micron element.
    Seems to be developing a hard cold starting issue too. Losing fuel prime to injection pump gradually when engine is off. No sign of any leaks. Not sure if I have a bad lift pump or something else going on. Not sure if these issues are even related.
    Once up on plane boat cruises just fine and can hit WOT of 3900 without issue.
    Love the boat, just don't want to kill the motor with the laboring acceleration.

2. samohr

samohr Swabbie

Name:
    Name
    Boat:
    Boat
    Your questions are not seasport specific, you looking for volvo info. Definitley in the wrong forum for that, guys here are all about outboards not io or diesel. The general boating section on this site has more socal guys that can help you out, more io and diesel users there. Also look at boatdiesel.

From my limited diesel knowledge couple basic things. Boost gauage and a pyrometer are a must, You need to know how hard you engine is working and if the turbo is making full boost. Inspect the turbo hot side exhaust housing, very common on io boat to have inadequate exhaust rise resulting in turbo corrosion and poor performance. Service the aftercooler, they require regular cleaning amd inspection.

G-Spot likes this.
  3. the_kirkwood

the_kirkwood Newbie

Name:
    Iain kirkwood
    Boat:
    Seasport explorer

Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice so far.
    What I can say is that seaports are great boats. Here is a picture from last weekend 20190302_124542.jpg

4. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    It may be all about prop size.... if the turbo is lagging until 2400, then it may be under too much load.... you might loose a little tip speed, but need a different prop to push through the low-mid range and get up faster....

People harp on the top rpm for prop size because they want full rpm, but don’t want to over rev.... sometimes you need a smaller pitch or diameter so you can have rpms at the low/mid range and then keep yourself from over rev on the plane....

5. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Great looking boat and crew! Did you have that deck canvas built, or did it come with the boat? Someday I’d like something similar.

Also, it doesn’t look like you have the typical interior configuration. Do you have any inside pictures?

6. the_kirkwood

the_kirkwood Newbie

Name:
    Iain kirkwood
    Boat:
    Seasport explorer

Canvas was on the boat when I bought it. Think the previous owner got in made somewhere on vancouver Island.
    Thought the interior was standard for this year and model. However I've been wrong before.

7. the_kirkwood

the_kirkwood Newbie

Name:
    Iain kirkwood
    Boat:
    Seasport explorer
  8. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Maybe it depends on the year, but most Explorers have the enclosed head aft of the dinette and a small galley behind the helm seat.

Mine is different than most also, with the head aft of the helm, and my dinette booth is pushed back against the aft bulkhead with a separate forward-facing co-pilot seat ahead of it.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Which is the proper way to do it if you must have the head in the main cabin. It helps with visibility issues.

10. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Which way do you deem correct? I can see through my head enclosure, unless it's occupied and the curtain is over the window.

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Your config is correct in my mind. Mine is not but I live with it.