Season's 1st Alijos Report: Looks Good!

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Indy arrived at the rocks and are getting some. Im excited for the season coming up. Im not going on another trip unitl a 8 day on the Excel this Sept. 17-25, any BD's going on that one? In the meantime, its fishing Venice Louisiana in "da Ca-jun heat..."

Getting To Work

Independence is back at work, having arrived at her first destination, apparently Alijos Rocks on Monday. “We arrived at 11:00 a.m. today,” wrote skipper Jeff DeBuys May 21, “and saw just a few tuna, as far as tuna goes. The yellowtail are here in full force. The grade on the yellows is a solid 18 to 25 pounds, with some 30-pounders in the mix. Just about everything was working today, as the fish were eager, for the most part. The weather is good, just a bit of breeze. We are going to try for some more yellows tonight.”

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
I am on the Excel June 27th for an 8 day. I hope the Tuna action picks up by then so I can get on larger fish. I also saw a report from the Excel from May 12 where they stopped of at Alijos on the way down and picked up some nice tails as well, but no sign of Tuna...

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I am on the Excel June 27th for an 8 day. I hope the Tuna action picks up by then so I can get on larger fish. I also saw a report from the Excel from May 12 where they stopped of at Alijos on the way down and picked up some nice tails as well, but no sign of Tuna...
Yeah man! Tuna in May is not very often an occurance. They are usually there by Mid June, and July starts posting good numbers, but every year is different. I was on the RRIII last year during mid june and we got a handful, the 8 day immediately after killed'em. Great Yellow fishing the whole time, we couldnt get away from them!

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
from the Indy: 05/22

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" class="MojText" border="0" cellSpacing="1" borderColor="#000000" cellPadding="3" width="520" bgColor="#ffffff" align="center"><tbody><tr bgColor="#ffffff"><td align="left">Picture Perfect</td></tr><tr bgColor="#ffffff"><td align="left">
05-22-2012
- Today was just like yesterday, as the fishing for yellowtail was excellent today. The grade overall is great with a hand full up to 50 lbs. we did hook a tuna, but we liberated the fish. The weather is ok, a bit breezy at times. We are going to keep at it again for tomorrow, and then figure out what to do. Please wish us luck, the Indy crew

Geez you think they can bit a bit more vaugue? just sayin...
they never even mentioned that they are actually at the stones either. we are presuming it, base on it being a 8 day.
</td></tr><tr bgColor="#ffffff"><td align="left"></td></tr></tbody></table>

JnDoe

Jan 13, 2010
US
Name
Jim
Boat
NA
Ridge????

jubben

I like fishing but love c
Feb 6, 2007
VC CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
215 Triumph
Indy arrived at the rocks and are getting some. Im excited for the season coming up. Im not going on another trip unitl a 8 day on the Excel this Sept. 17-25, any BD's going on that one? In the meantime, its fishing Venice Louisiana in "da Ca-jun heat..."

Getting To Work

Independence is back at work, having arrived at her first destination, apparently Alijos Rocks on Monday. “We arrived at 11:00 a.m. today,” wrote skipper Jeff DeBuys May 21, “and saw just a few tuna, as far as tuna goes. The yellowtail are here in full force. The grade on the yellows is a solid 18 to 25 pounds, with some 30-pounders in the mix. Just about everything was working today, as the fish were eager, for the most part. The weather is good, just a bit of breeze. We are going to try for some more yellows tonight.”
Hey Dave my dad and I will be on the collonelo 8 day along with a couple friends Sept 17-25. Should be a great trip good time of year. Last year because of sharks and lack of tuna at the rocks Justin took us all the way to the lower banks, lusitaina, potatoe, and farther. By the way it worked out good we got 250 tuna in one day and the other boats out at the same time did not fair as well.

Toro-X

Independence 100 lb club
Jun 27, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Bobby
Boat
none
Ridge????

I am pretty sure they are fishing the Alijos Rocks or the Bank. I was on the trip last year and we killed the yellows at the Bank. Scad mackeral on the dropper loop was bit on the sink or on the bottom instantly. The grade was pretty impressive. I had 10 yellows processed which weighed 386 lbs. My biggest was 42 lbs.

The YT in my avatar was 54lbs. It was caught on the Indy trip #1 in 2010. That year the YFT were so thick that the boat limited out in 2.5 days. I guess every year is different.

Last year the YFT was non existent at the Rocks in May despite the water temp being 66 degrees. I recall the temp was 64.5 in 2010. Capt Jeff was not sure if the tuna were going to be there. They were there big time and hungry!

JnDoe

Jan 13, 2010
US
Name
Jim
Boat
NA
I was hoping for another 2010 year as I leave in a few weeks. As I recall in 2010 the Shogun was there in April and did very well on YFT. There's still a little time. Let's see what the Indy finds off shore.

The rocks would be my first guess. I'm just curious why there are no locales mentioned. Isn't The Independence known for....independence???

Toro-X

Independence 100 lb club
Jun 27, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Bobby
Boat
none
I was hoping for another 2010 year as I leave in a few weeks. As I recall in 2010 the Shogun was there in April and did very well on YFT. There's still a little time. Let's see what the Indy finds off shore.

The rocks would be my first guess. I'm just curious why there are no locales mentioned. Isn't The Independence known for....independence???
You are correct John. The Shogun did find some tuna in April in 2010. I am curious what the conditions are like down in the zone. I hope they show soon. Good luck on your up coming trip.

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
wishing west c
Name
nal
Boat
282 GW Sailfish F225's
Couldn't go this past year or last spring either, but yes, i recall 2009 and 2010 were very good years for YFT at the Rocks in April on the Shogun 8-day. YFT to 100#, nice YT, grouper on the bank, sheephead, all the jumbo whitefish you wanted, and minimal sharks. Can't recall which year, but one year it was cold, very cold in April and not a chance or sight of tuna. But trip was still fun, more of a bottom fishing expedition and i got 3 very nice groupers to 36# yum!

Rode the Indy late May 8-day a few years ago and trip was epic. Wide open tuna 30-60#, 15-35# YT, some nice grouper, halibut, and finished with nice string of red rock fish (to add some color to the haul). Never been so beat from fishing as those first 2 days in my life from yanking on fish.

man, i need to go fishing!

JnDoe

Jan 13, 2010
US
Name
Jim
Boat
NA
05-24-2012 - Today we covered a lot of water, and I must say there is very good water around for the future off shore scene. As far as catching fish today, we had only a small sample of yellowfin tuna, 6 to be exact, 15 lb.ers and 1 Dorado for our efforts. We are going to check out an island for tomorrow. Until then, wish us luck. The Indy crew

I'm gonna take this as good news. (why not?). The fish are there.

Birdman65

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 12, 2011
United States
Name
dane johnston
Boat
dane johnston
The industry caught like 6 or something 15 lb yellowfin offshore and a doraso or something not much good to report