Season anglers need apply

Jerry m

JM
Feb 5, 2014
Name
Jerry
Boat
Socal
Hi, I’m been out of the game for several years due to putting my two amazing daughters through college. I’m asking for season anglers who are on the long range game for advice if this will due for a 3.5 day on Top Gun 80 this coming up July. I’m being reading reviews like crazy for the right gear, but my conclusion to all the threads is all the latest gear is good and it’s just the anglers preference and their intention for what they intended to use it for. Well here’s what I have Scrambled up so far. Description fallows after pictures.
B28F03AB-1804-4915-A34C-FA3390433A98.jpeg
F5D90D75-159A-4BC9-899C-84E5C3617FE4.jpeg
C9331803-A26C-4DBE-B697-75F86DAD3DD9.jpeg

I. Okuma Makaira 16ii sea 100lbs hallow PP with a Berkeley prospec 80 fluoro, pair with a UC RCX76Centaur. Fishing Heavy flat fall/drop loop.
2. Okuma Makaira 15ii T sea 80lbs hallow PP with Berkeley prospec 60 fluoro, pair with a UC RCX76Raptor. Fishing flat fall/drop loop/colt sniper
3. Avet JX 6/3 MC Raptor 65lbs PP with 25yrds. 40lbs mono. Pair with a UC RCE800Del Mar-C. Fishing colt sniper/heavy fly line/yoyo
4. Daiwa saltiga 30Ha star drag 65lbs pp with short leader 40/ 50 pair with a RPG900Reaper
Fishing surface iron/fly line
5. Daiwa saltiga 15Ha star drag no line yet paired with a UC RCE800Monster-CT fishing fishing strictly 20/25 fly line.

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    I think you have it pretty well covered, your going to love the UC rods. I would fish that jx raptor on the yoyo at #50 and maybe fish the monster at #30/40 bait and if there is room in the budget add a lighter rod for that saltiga 15 like a mega for #20/25. And don't be shy with floro leaders I carry #15-#80. A wise man once told me quality gear will bring you quality fish! You you have some really nice setups.... good luck and tight lines.

J
    Jerry m
    Thank you, for your advice. I also have a sx raptor that I could switch out with the saltiga 15 and look for a mega. And yes I’ll be purchasing terminal tackle soon and I’ll include more floro.
    This is what I want to hear from you guys and thank you again
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    That's cool, I'm on that trip too. I guess I'll see you there. Your set ups look like you got everything covered. I prefer to use a lighter and longer rod for 20,25,30 leader. Easier to flick out the bait farther away from the boat and better chance at getting bit. I fished the TG several times a year send me a pm if you have any other questions. I'm in West end of San Fernando Valley in case you are local too. Andre

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Anaheim
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    chuck
    Boat
    No
    Look at my memorial weekend trip on the Pac voyager. Plenty of fun and friendly advise on that trip. Perfectly timed for your trip. Call me

714eighteight3667zero

Reactions: Brad I

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Congrats on getting your kids through school. I just finished with my 3rd (and final). My first two stayed an extra year for masters, so there was at least one year when I was paying triple tuition. Being through all of that is like getting a tax-free raise (since tuition was after tax dollars).

Reactions: Jerry m

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Hi, I’m been out of the game for several years due to putting my two amazing daughters through college. I’m asking for season anglers who are on the long range game for advice if this will due for a 3.5 day on Top Gun 80 this coming up July. I’m being reading reviews like crazy for the right gear, but my conclusion to all the threads is all the latest gear is good and it’s just the anglers preference and their intention for what they intended to use it for. Well here’s what I have Scrambled up so far. Description fallows after pictures.
    View attachment 1268715View attachment 1268714View attachment 1268716
    I. Okuma Makaira 16ii sea 100lbs hallow PP with a Berkeley prospec 80 fluoro, pair with a UC RCX76Centaur. Fishing Heavy flat fall/drop loop.
    2. Okuma Makaira 15ii T sea 80lbs hallow PP with Berkeley prospec 60 fluoro, pair with a UC RCX76Raptor. Fishing flat fall/drop loop/colt sniper
    3. Avet JX 6/3 MC Raptor 65lbs PP with 25yrds. 40lbs mono. Pair with a UC RCE800Del Mar-C. Fishing colt sniper/heavy fly line/yoyo
    4. Daiwa saltiga 30Ha star drag 65lbs pp with short leader 40/ 50 pair with a RPG900Reaper
    5. Daiwa saltiga 15Ha star drag no line yet paired with a UC RCE800Monster-CT fishing fishing strictly 20/25 fly line.
    I recommend you beg, borrow or steal a 100lb rig in the Mak20 class. Big fish out there. This fish was caught on 100lb rig, prob 500 feet deep, TG80, 3.5 day last year. Almost 2 hrs to land.

15378.jpeg

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    ironically enough I was on that trip with with Mike last year on the TG last year. Well me an the lucky ass Russians that brought more vodka than rods on the trips . Julio and Nate on the pic helped out quite a bit. But god damn them Russians that kept hooking up and then loosing fish. Mike remembers.

J
    Jerry m
    Hahaha, seems like he didn’t loose the one that mattered. Can’t wait!!
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    ironically enough I was on that trip with with Mike last year on the TG last year. Well me an the lucky ass Russians that brought more vodka than rods on the trips . Julio and Nate on the pic helped out quite a bit. But god damn them Russians that kept hooking up and then loosing fish. Mike remembers.
    You mean these guys? With lucky Dimitri? And, hey as far as getting help, what happens on the boat stays on the boat.

15359.jpeg

Reactions: woodfish330

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat
    wurtdirt
    I think you nailed setups 1-3, and if you have a viper and a 20 you have just about as good as it gets from 40-100+. You should absolutely fish it how you have it and wait to make adjustments until after you have some time on the gear. You obviously have good taste in gear.

My only commentary would be this:
    I have several of those rods, as well as several saltigas (15, 20, 35 and 40). I love them.
    I do agree with above that the monster is a true 30 maybe light 40 depending on preference, so I think the saltiga 15 is a bit small for this application. The line capacity of that reel is just somewhat limited and there are times where you may be fishing 30lb on a long soak for finicky blue fin. I like this reel for 20-25 lb and not so much for the really long soaks. I wouldn't put more than 40lb braid on it or maybe even 40lb maxcuatro. I think it matches well with the mega. But I would recommend you see how much you like the rce monster before stepping into a mega or figuring out if maybe a us or gp rod is a better fit action wise.
    I would also say that the saltiga 30 may be slightly over matched drag wise if you really plan to fish the reaper at 50, as 1/3 the line test is about the max drag output of the reel. If you were to stick with the saltigas the 35 or 40 is a better choice (35 if you fish short piece of flouro and 40 for mono topshot). The 35 is a narrow 40 with the drag of the 40 but line capacity closer to the 30, and the narrow spool aids in casting and stacking the line back on. The other option would be a tranx if you like the straight spectra option and aren't going to fish bait on it much. If I were tweaking your rigs I would put a tranx on the reaper, move the saltiga 30 to the monster and find a lighter rod you like for the 15.

Reactions: Jerry m

Jerry m

JM
    Feb 5, 2014
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    Socal
    Here's a fishing report from the intrepid of point Loma day, April 18, 2021. II wasn't on this trip. I'm sharing with my fellow fishermen for the following 07/12/21 top gun 80 trip.

We returned home from a very successful 3 day trip this morning at 0700. Final tally for our trip was 42 bluefin tuna, 27 of those were over 100 pounds, 3 were over 200 pounds and 1 was 188 pounds. We also picked up 70 yellowtail. Most of our bluefin came during a night bite that was nothing short of epic. It was every drop for 4 straight hours on the flat falls and sinker rigs. We had 5 to 10 fish hooked the entire time. It was crazy good fishing, a night that none of us will ever forget. Our jackpot winners are as follows: third place went to Michael Frawley with a 188.1 pound bluefin tuna, second place went to John Keeler with a 202.4 pound bluefin tuna, and first place goes to Patrick Wade with a 215.7 pound bluefin tuna. Honorable mention goes to Nicko Carcich with a 200.7 pound bluefin tuna that he landed while fishing the kite. Strong work men! Thank you to everyoine that fished with us. We enjoyed having you aboard. Thanks for checking in. Life is good, Captain Bill Cavanaugh and the Intrepid Team

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    View attachment 1268715View attachment 1268714View attachment 1268716
    Thanks for the UC models.

Upvote 0