CatalinaYT

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 12, 2020
Marina del Rey
Name
Dawson Garland
Boat
Reel Deal
hi, I have never gotten sea sick but I haven't been on a overnight trip, I have felt dizzy if I go bellow deck but not terrible. Any tips for seasickness in the case that I do get it when above deck fishing or below when sleeping and eating. Does the non drowsy dramamine actually work? thank you

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Depends on the person but for me Bonine works the best. Ginger also helps and a few cans of ginger ale are easy to pack.

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
At the first feeling of seasickness, eat a can of Sardines in Mustard Sauce on Saltine Crackers.

....then you wont be alone. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Rocket Dog and Kin

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
stay off boats....

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Bonnie is less drowsy, and if you take 1/2 the night before its even less drowsy wile fishing. I generally never get sick but you DON'T want to get that far. I used to take 1/2 the night before and 1/2 the next morning. I skipped in the morning because it is even less drowsy and I wasnt getting sick anyway. They have a shock bracelet that is suppose to bring you back from the dead...I have one onboard I think we only used it 1x... GL

MRC70

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 31, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Name
MRC
Boat
not yet
Bonine works great for me. One pill 12-14 hours before departure and another pill one hour before departure.

Reactions: lougio

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
We all paid big tax money to send people up into space for a couple of decades, and almost half of the early astronauts spent a lot of time being sick from weightlessness. So a major effort was made to research motion sickness for several years, and everything that you can think of was scientifically tested.

In the end, it was found that it was important to start out at least eight hours before launch with some type of medication, the ingredients in dramamine and similar drugs, a half-strength dose that would prepare the body's balance mechanism. Best of all was a light dose of scopalamine, available either in a compounded pill as mentioned, or in the dime-sized patch worn behind the ear.

If you wait to get onto the boat, plane, whatever and see how you feel, you are already behind the curve. If you have any sensitivity to motion at all you should be proactive. And then don't put a lot of liquids into your belly and let it slosh around. Stay up on deck where you can see the horizon and get fresh air.

Ginger, wrist pressure bands, a whole bunch of things seem to work for some people. But the only things that are scientifically proven to work are a couple of medicines in the bloodstream.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
All the over the counter stuff works for me.I prefer Meclizine but break the pill in half.The patch works great but has the same side effects as the others.It's not recommended but i cut them in half and that's enough for me.Seasickness is one of those things that usually doesn't get to me unless it's rough.I've tried everything.Ginger doesn't do shit,it's your inner ear not your stomach that's the problem.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
hi, I have never gotten sea sick but I haven't been on a overnight trip, I have felt dizzy if I go bellow deck but not terrible... thank you
as one actually prone to seasickness, let me say respectfully you most likely don't have a problem you cannot put out of your mind or cure with a placebo

keep in mind nearly everyone gets sick in a hurricane (very rough seas) - I wish I had your sea legs - 5 minutes out of the bay on a calm day and I'm feeling it (the scopo patch cures it for me if applied minimum 5 hours before underway, however, nothing else has worked as reliably and effectively)

Last edited:
Reactions: CatalinaYT

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
For me it all begins about 6 hours before I get on the boat. Stay away from greasy, heavy food. Snack on pretzels, ginger snaps and saltines. Once the boat is underway get busy. keep the wind in your face and stay out enclosed spaces. Keep a couple of ginger snaps in your pocket in you start to feel queasy and cant slow it down let it go!

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
I bought Kwells off ebay....amazing....in shitty weather north end of cat....took a pill then it was gone....not sleepy, not sick....amazing....don't waste your time with the over the counter stuff here....

2tuna

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
Another vote for Kwells. Thje stuff is magic, and has changed my life. Seriously. All the OTC stuff gives me much more significant side effects. And did not work as well.

It's the same scopalamine/hydrobromide as the patch but you can control ( and minimize) the dosing according to your needs. I just got off an 8 day and I took 3 per day the first two days, then 2 per day for 3 days, and a single tablet the last 3 days.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I have been Sea Sick twice in my life (I really wanted to die). Since then I have used the Patch (prescription ) for many trips of 8-10 days, and have not been sick at all. Each one is good for three days. I have seen people wear only 1/2 of a patch at times. If you use the patch, be sure NOT to touch your eyes until after you wash your hands well with soap and water.
When I was on a ship in the Navy, Many, Many years ago, in rough weather, they broke out the Saltine Crackers by the cases.
I don't ever want to be Sea Sick again.

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
I am prone to sea sickness - particularly inside the cabin. Most of the time out on deck either fishing or just lounging around it is not an issue. Over the counter stuff has never worked for me but Scopolomine patches are very effective. Have not heard about Scopolomine in capsule form - will talk with my family Doc about that - I like that idea.

Great advice already about planning ahead and get your regime started the night before you get on the boat. I have found that to be very important. Whatever you choose, make sure you start early.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I am prone to sea sickness - particularly inside the cabin. Most of the time out on deck either fishing or just lounging around it is not an issue. Over the counter stuff has never worked for me but Scopolomine patches are very effective. Have not heard about Scopolomine in capsule form - will talk with my family Doc about that - I like that idea.

Great advice already about planning ahead and get your regime started the night before you get on the boat. I have found that to be very important. Whatever you choose, make sure you start early.
Doctor’s really don’t like , giving a script,
For a compound RX, but bug the crap out of them, that is what I did,
And it’s well worth it, but the
Pills are $4.00 each now.

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
Scopolamine can have some bad side effects that are dose and age related. Be careful if you are self-prescribing, especially if you are over 60.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Google Cinnarizine. Can buy in Mexico if ever there. I brought mine back from Thailand.
Also, if you are already sick and even throwing up. Just dissolve Bonnie or Dramamine between cheek and gums. Will still work.

boxturtle

Mar 14, 2011
santa ana, ca.
Name
turtle
Boat
still waiting for my shell
ginger helps me....they make ginger gum and candy. For dinner before the night out i would do a light dinner and eat some of the ginger that you usually eat with sushi.
I usually wake up a little off on the boat and eat a cup/bowl of spicy noodles. For one its salty and other it's light enough that im able to eat it and keep it down. Throughout the day any salty chips or beef jerky does wonders. The number one cure for me is catching fish lol i guess when adreline kicks in the sickness goes away.