islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
I launched out of shelter island at 5:30 In my 20’ CC knowing that it might be pretty nautical out there today. Only 1 boat in line at the bait barge. ( should of been a sign). Headed straight out to the upper hidden bank. Didn’t even see 1 boat on our way out there or on the grounds. The ocean was a big mess out there with high winds and a mixed swell. Right when we got to the grounds I metered a wolf pack of about 8 under the boat at about 150’. Threw some deans out and started to troll the yummys. No love. We trolled yummys and cedar plugs for about 4 miles for nada. It was getting really rough out there and my tiny ship was tossed so we decided to head to the lee side of north island. Took over 3 hours of getting the shit beat out of us to get there but once there the water was much calmer. Instantly started metering large schools of yellow tail under the boat. Hooked a couple and lost them to the dogs. The sea lions were very aggressive and kept taking the deans. I would set up in about 60 ‘ of water and chum some deans and would instantly meter fish under the boat. We fished there for about 2 hours and managed to get 4 yellows on the boat and a toad calico. (Tacos). Also a bunch of bonito that were released. We decided to head back because the wind was kicking back up and had a decent ride back to Sd.
Alll in all we got some meat on the deck and had a good time.
Tight lines everyone!

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Seals?
    keep telling people here, get a wrist rocket and some glass marbles. The seal really don't like getting hit by this set up. They will quit bothering you!
    Or keep putting up with seal bull shit.
    I know I don't.

Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
    Jun 29, 2007
    ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Trophy center console
    Seals?
    keep telling people here, get a wrist rocket and some glass marbles. The seal really don't like getting hit by this set up. They will quit bothering you!
    I know I don't.
    Seals?
    I know I don't.
    Yeah. I need to get one. Plus a little target practice could be fun.

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Grady White Gulfstream 232
    Seals?
    I know I don't.

Ehhh I prefer the shotgun message when no ones around. Just my point of view

Reactions: getaway
    Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    California Penal Code 12027 allows licensed hunters or fisherman carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.Mar 1, 2010

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Nice work man.

Keep an eye on that weather. It was downright dangerous on sunday.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

• Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Ehhh I prefer the shotgun message when no ones around. Just my point of view
    That's great and all but that's not legal my method is legal

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    That's great and all but that's not legal my method is legal

You do you. And I’ll do me. You know damn right these seals over populated. Just because they are a tourist attraction during the summer for cities doesn’t mean they can ruin our fish population and fishing industry. Under the penal code I just said, I have every right to bring a gun on my boat. Now what I do with it? Is a different matter.

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
    Mar 14, 2004
    Murrieta Ca
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    I loathe the sea lions as much as the next guy , maybe more.
    I would imagine getting boarded and having a firearm in Mexican waters could end bad for more than just the sea lion though.
    Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Did you get the part they were in Mexican waters . You get caught down there with a gun and we won't see any posts from you in a long while .

That wasn’t my point. In American waters a lot of us carry. I read that he was against carrying any type of firearms and was using a pea shooter to get em to knock it off. That’s not how I roll. At all....

Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
    Jun 29, 2007
    ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Trophy center console
    California Penal Code 12027 allows licensed hunters or fisherman carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.Mar 1, 2010
    Not in Mexican waters

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2015
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Buck Nasty
    I typically keep a bonito to throw out as a distraction if we see the seals coming in hot. I also keep bonito for fresh poke, but would rather catch the prized species.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

• Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    You do you. And I’ll do me. You know damn right these seals over populated. Just because they are a tourist attraction during the summer for cities doesn’t mean they can ruin our fish population and fishing industry. Under the penal code I just said, I have every right to bring a gun on my boat. Now what I do with it? Is a different matter.
    I am all for it, with my luck I'd probably get caught.
    and yes perfectly legal to have a firearm in your boat.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    I typically keep a bonito to throw out as a distraction if we see the seals coming in hot. I also keep bonito for fresh poke, but would rather catch the prized species.
    Please don't do that. It only exacerbates the problem when they are encouraged to associate boats with a free meal.

edit my bad I understand what you mean. I've done that too in a desperate situation. Still maybe not the best play, ideally we shouldn't give em shit and should just try our best to get the fish and give him the finger or pop the fish off and give the seal the finger anyway

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

• Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    That wasn’t my point. In American waters a lot of us carry. I read that he was against carrying any type of firearms and was using a pea shooter to get em to knock it off. That’s not how I roll. At all....

Where in this thread did ''you read'' anyone say they are against having a gun on board??

I'll be the first mother fucker in line to cull seals with a GUN.

And if you think a slingshot is a pee shooter you are gravely mistaken.

Let me say this, seals no me and my boat at the island and they don't come anywhere near us.....GO FIGURE!!!

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2015
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Buck Nasty
    Please don't do that. It only exacerbates the problem when they are encouraged to associate boats with a free meal.

edit my bad I understand what you mean. I've done that too in a desperate situation. Still maybe not the best play, ideally we shouldn't give em shit and should just try our best to get the fish and give him the finger or pop the fish off and give the seal the finger anyway

I wish we didn't have to do it, but how many prized fish have you lost to the dogs? I've lost 50-pound bluefin to them! Unfortunately, they will be there waiting for the fisherman no matter what. What really needs to happen is public education on letting mother nature take its course. If a dying sea lion is on the beach, let mother nature thin out the herd by letting the weak ones die and the strong survive. Having Seaworld nurse the sick back to health and releasing them back into the wild is throwing the natural balance out of order. That's my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat

I’ve heard just hooking a Sealion on a 50 wide with straight braid does the trick. Hook em in the mouth and keep it in clicker mode. Fight it every once and awhile. And eventually break it off. It will give you sometime to continue fishing. Never tried it. But have seen people at Catalina do it on the Seabass grounds.

Upvote 0

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    I wish we didn't have to do it, but how many prized fish have you lost to the dogs? I've lost 50-pound bluefin to them! Unfortunately, they will be there waiting for the fisherman no matter what. What really needs to happen is public education on letting mother nature take its course. If a dying sea lion is on the beach, let mother nature thin out the herd by letting the weak ones die and the strong survive. Having Seaworld nurse the sick back to health and releasing them back into the wild is throwing the natural balance out of order. That's my 2 cents.

This is the problem. They aren’t endangered anymore. Just like the stupid fucking Pelicans. I’ve lost so many fish to these seals it’s insane. And I cant even count how much money of gear I lost as well.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Not on mex

Upvote 0